Canned Tuna Snacks

Birdsnest

Those of us who are isolating are doing some things they've always wanted to do. With all this isolating I have be canning frozen salmon and tuna snacks.
My vacuum sealing is pretty good but after a year I find the product against the bag is freezer tainted. I can taste it and smell it and I don't like it. For this reason before I thaw the fish I run them under hot water and scrape the outer layer of yuk which is usually only 1-2 mm. Wasteful, yes, but more likely that I will eat it in the future.

The photo is of tuna curry snack in a 500mm jar which is easily a meal.

I have commercial cooking experience so I dont really use recipes.

I cubed raw Tuna about 1/4 or less of the total volume fish to Vegetables
Cut baby corns
Onions
red pepper
carrots

rooster sauce
Curry
soy sauce
fish sauce
sesame oil
chicken stock
rock salt

Mix it all together and fill jars that have about 1/4 inch of stock in the bottom and can using safe canning procedures, times, and temperatures/pressures.
I'm suspicious about canning with some of these ingredients, specifically the soy sauce, rooster sauce and sesame oil so do your research before doing this. I couldn't find on the net that said it was dangerous. Just an fyi,
The thing I may do differently is to cook off the tuna cubes before jarring to avoid all the coagulated tuna juice. Only a visual thing. Tastes the same I assume.

Last edited:
UGGO4185.jpeg IMG_7261.jpeg New batch!

500ml jars
1/2 to 1 tbls of blended chipotle peppers in bottom of jar.
1/2 inch of tomato juice
add mixture of tuna cubes 1/2 to 1 inch and vedgetables you like. 1/3 tuna to 2/3 veg.
light amount of peppercorns (optional)

vegetabels
Any vegetables can be used that can well. I have used in these:
frozen corn
carrots
russet potatoes
red peppers
onions
green beans
baby corns can very well also.
Pack jars firmly to take out as much air as possible.
once packed add a touch more tomato juice.
pinch of salt for each jar
small dollop of rooster sauce.

can

Make for easy grab food for fishing and hunting outings etc.

I would use this same recipe for deer meat also.

Back