What is a outboard "camp motor"?

EZZ70

Hey guys as you know I am on the look-out for power for the 26 Hourston, I cam across a Yamaha "camp motor" with 1100hrs , what exactly does this referee to?

means it was a lease motor on a fishing camp boat, they get replaced every couple of years, with a new model

You should be able to tell you who leased it, the number of hours on it with what rpms it was run at and who serviced it. Also the newer motors store codes, so you should be able to find that out as well. Rigging though may be extra.

means it was a lease motor on a fishing camp boat, they get replaced every couple of years, with a new model

Thank you, any knowledge, feedback or suggestions? Stay away from these or are they worth looking at?

Thank you, any knowledge, feedback or suggestions? Stay away from these or are they worth looking at?

absolutely worth looking at , motors that are used stay healthy. I would much rather buy a lodge motor with 1000 hours from 2018 than 2012 with the same hours.
if you not guiding and planning on 500 hours or more per year..they are great. done it a few times. get read out and you can the usage. often 100's of the hours of use are low rpm trolling.

My Uncle was a big game hunting and fishing guide. Mercury would give him a discount known as a "Camp Discount" Someone that owns a guide camp, usually 25% off the msrp. The name has just stuck around ever since and now most people lease them, hence the lease return moniker we now see.

Lease returns from the fishing lodges on the coast here are usually a one year, sometimes two year lease and then they get sold to the public. Look at the print out, most are run flat out to and from the fishing grounds and the smaller ones are trolled all day too. Nothing wrong with the trolling hours but the print out you will want to see. The bigger motors you are looking for usually were with a kicker as they might not have the trolling hours the 90-115-150's have on them. You know this anyway. :)

Most of the camp(lease) motors I've seen have been 50- 75 hp 4-strokes on 18' welded boats.
you see a few larger motors the odd time.
They get full throttle for a couple hours a day and troll the balance.

I’d recommend waiting till this fall, going to be a lot of motors with less than average hours with lodge seasons likely getting pushed back or cancelled altogether. Lot of lodges replace every year too. Should be ton of options if you wait until fall. I picked up 90hp merc that was year old from camp with under 50 hours for $6500, was a spare and only got mounted and used for few days at end of season.

fly-by for sure, definitely easier to setup 2 stations and really considering 175 - 200 twins Yamaha/Suzuki, was also considering the twin 140 but they are mech controls...

Fly by is great when it works but major dollars to fix when it craps out and not something you can't fix on the spot. I know a local guide here who spent $5k for a part when his Yamaha would only go in reverse.

Fly by is great when it works but major dollars to fix when it craps out and not something you can't fix on the spot. I know a local guide here who spent $5k for a part when his Yamaha would only go in reverse.

Well that's poopy o_O, thought fly-by was the way to go, most recient used motors are fly-by...

Fly by has been out for years, there will always be the odd guy out there that has had issues tho but that’s the same with any electronics.

Don’t know a single person who has had a problem with fly by wire controls...... they’re great

Agree, I done allot of research :( and haven't found much either in-the-way of "common" problems, yes its expensive but what isn't for a boat?

I just replaced the cables on my boat with the repower. $130 for the set. Cheaper controls. If I wasn’t spending money on so much other parts of the build, and if the main I bought wasn’t already cables, I’d have gone flyby

Did you ask how much the modules are that run the system? This was either a 250 or 225 HP Yamaha..the module cost him $5K and no way around it. A seized cable...you feet it getting stiff and if you ignore it it's on you when it seizes or breaks and will cost you a hundred bucks to buy another and you can fish wire it into place yourself. With anything electronic one day it is working as normal and then it craps, no warnings. Yes it is a nice system when you have no problems...would I have it??? no. Not on a boat....where you may not have any help available when it fails or could be in some really **** water dealing with critical steering and throttle requirements to stay upright or off the rocks. For me there are already enough expensive components on my boat that will eventually fail and cost me money to fix or replace...less of those is better.

Did you ask how much the modules are that run the system? This was either a 250 or 225 HP Yamaha..the module cost him $5K and no way around it. A seized cable...you feet it getting stiff and if you ignore it it's on you when it seizes or breaks and will cost you a hundred bucks to buy another and you can fish wire it into place yourself. With anything electronic one day it is working as normal and then it craps, no warnings. Yes it is a nice system when you have no problems...would I have it??? no. Not on a boat....where you may not have any help available when it fails or could be in some really **** water dealing with critical steering and throttle requirements to stay upright or off the rocks. For me there are already enough expensive components on my boat that will eventually fail and cost me money to fix or replace...less of those is better.
Makes sense, I’m happy with my brand new cables now....

What's everyones thoughts on this...? This is the camp motor...

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 4.59.20 PM.png

Back