Staying fresh on the chuck

kaelc

I'm looking for some tips on how to not get so worn out fishing. I have been doing some medium length days and just getting worn out. I often wake up an hour early and go to bed an hour late. Doing a couple hours of running, 3-4 couple hours of running gear and an hour of crabbing. 20+ years ago I feel like I did the equivalent commercial fishing but maybe I was pacing myself more back then.

I feel like I don't drink enough water, eat and rest often enough (what is this a bike race?). I'm thinking of setting a timer on my watch as a reminder. Any guide tips or rec fishers who have it figured out on how to stay fresh for long days of fishing? I know you guys work a lot harder than I do, hats off to you.

May want to see if you have sleep apnea. Where you stop breathing for up to a min multiple times as you sleep. Really messes with your energy levels.

I was in a similar situation the last year where I just didn’t have the energy anymore. Take the boat out for a few hours then needed a 2 hour nap when I got back. I thought I was just getting older.

Turns out I had moderate Sleep apnea. My heart would sore to 190 to try and compensate. :eek:

After therapy, I feel like my old energetic self again.

For me, I have to pace myself or I did anyway, and that was key as opposed to rushing into everything. Lots of water, decent food and I don't drink on the boat any more at all. I literally have to remind myself it's a marathon not a sprint (with most things too) and I find it way more enjoyable.

What are you wearing for footwear? That can play a big part into how tired your back will get and the rest of your joints. Really important to have good back support from the foot.

Agree with the hydration angle I take so many cans of plain club soda and make sure to keep putting it back so that I come back with all empties it does help.

Lots of good advice, here.
If you're not on your own arrange with your buddies to have a nap. We have a small boat but when the fishing is slow I just lean back for 20 or 30 minutes and then wake up ready to give 'er again. If a rod goes off, adrenaline takes over.

A comfortable boat with a hardtop that allow you a place to stay out of the sun at the main helm really helps. All that direct and reflected UV sun really seems to tire me out when you are out there for a very long day. It also helps if you have a buddy or two along who have their boat operators certificate and experience with their own boats that you trust and know are capable of taking control of the boat without screwing up while you grab a nap. If it is your boat and you are older with health issues, let your a little younger healthier fishing buddies do a lot of the work, especially at the end of the day packing up and washing down the boat etc. When I do get sleepy, it tends to be in flatter, usually warmer weather. When the seas are nasty and you are white knuckle pounding to get back in, you never seem to be tired, perhaps it's the adrenaline.

Last edited:
if cocaine and amphetamines are not your thing,,, definitely do not use energy drinks. they are worse.. lol

I find eating healthy snacks, apples , fruit juice and yes hydrating properly (not beer) makes a huge difference during the day.
in a routine I eat dinner before six and bed before 9, backup at 5 to do it again.
try and stay out of the direct sun if possible. hat and sunglasses are huge. strained tired eyes where my biggest problem for years. I wear glasses religiously now.

I find preparation is key and that usually puts you late to sleep the night before. Ideally have the boat ready a day before leaders what not out of the way well ahead of time. I usually get to the boat the day before so I'm always short of sleep.

I got the prescription from a doc in Otolaryngology, who did a sleep study. I was hooked up to a monitor overnight, and he found that I was stopping breathing 8-10 times/minute! So he prescribed the mandibular gizmo, it was paid for by Medicare ($500) and it is effective, my wife says my snoring is more like a gentle-purr, and I no longer stop breathing. It took a couple nights to get used to having my jaw pulled forward, no longer an issue. If I nap on the couch without it, my wife waks me up, I snore so loud!! Years ago, I used the mold-in-boiling-water mouthpieces, they were pretty good, but not as good as one made by the dentist to exactly fit your teeth. They fit better, the boiling ones are a little thick.

One of the reason it makes me pissed they took away our May fishery. August is just a killer in the sun

Back