2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out two other times this week. Landed a few undersize on the first trip. Then went solo a couple days ago and limited out. Only one spot left on my licence.

Beauty afternoon between windy times. Snow capped mountains in view!View attachment 49983
When you catch the next one let me know and you can borrow mine. AMPLE room on this one:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting Tightlines. I've been stuck in the office and am getting the itch to get out there, despite the weather. Are you trolling a small glow spoon/hootchie along the bottom, out by the humps?

Great success

Out of FC for the first time this year from 9-11 this morning. We lost one good fish on a glow hootchie at 250 ft in 230 ft of water on the big jump. Had maybe one other good bite and released a couple of small fish. The aluminum centre console near us seemed to be into some fish. Good to get back out there.

I am confused by the dfo site. Is area 17 open for prawns?
From what I understand only sub areas 17-6,17-9,17-10, 17-11,17-12 and 17-13 are open for pulse fishing the last 2 weeks(March 16-31).April 1 it should be wide open,but wait for DFO's anouncement before heading out.Hope this helps.

Has anyone been prawning in 17 during the last two days? Is it worth going out?

Was out Thursday & Friday, had 6 traps down around the Yeo Island area doing 2-3 hour soaks. wasn't the best just over 100 after the two days. But the weather was beautiful and it was more fun than being locked inside all day.

Was out Thursday & Friday, had 6 traps down around the Yeo Island area doing 2-3 hour soaks. wasn't the best just over 100 after the two days. But the weather was beautiful and it was more fun than being locked inside all day.
thanks for the report. I did set in the same general area on Wed and had about the same success. Hoping the herring spawn will improve things.

Been out a few times in my area (Ballenas, Gerald, Douglas, Dorcas) jigging but not getting anything. Released a few smaller ling cod and that about it. Did get a nice Orca show last night just off the Green Can. Amazing creatures. Pretty slow here and not seeing any bait to speak of.

Got out again last night for a little jigging. It was beautiful night on the water, warm and calm, felt good. Released a few undersize lings and then got the 1st spring of the season. Probably 6-7lbs, would have been a keeper and it was a hatchery spring. Caught on shimano butterfly jig 85g, sardine colour, fishing near Gerald in about 70' of water :).
Still not seeing much in the way of bait in the usual spots. I wonder if the smaller herring take off somewhere when the mature herring come in to spawn.

Last edited:
Got out again last night for a little jigging. It was beautiful night on the water, warm and calm, felt good. Released a few undersize lings and then got the 1st spring of the season. Probably 6-7lbs, would've have been a keeper and it was a hatchery spring. Caught on shimano butterfly jig 85g, sardine colour, fishing near Gerald in about 70' of water :).
Still not seeing much in the way of bait in the usual spots. I wonder if the smaller herring take off somewhere when the mature herring come in to spawn.
The fish have heard of you and are afraid to bite :p

Has anyone been out? Looking for the motivation to quit doing yard work and get out there and release some fish. I guess it’s been windy for a bit here, looks nice mid this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back