Buying Boat Gas

Reelin In The Years

Where in Nanaimo can you take your trailered boat to buy gas?
The 2 Co Op gas stations I went to today are not operating there marine gas pumps and when I asked if they were going to run them in the near future, they said not likely.
So, I am wondering where everyone is buying fuel?

Where in Nanaimo can you take your trailered boat to buy gas?
The 2 Co Op gas stations I went to today are not operating there marine gas pumps and when I asked if they were going to run them in the near future, they said not likely.
So, I am wondering where everyone is buying fuel?
You looking for marked gas? Did you go to the coop on Bowen and chase river? Both those have marked.

I always take mine to the coop on Bowen road. If there marked fuel pump is closed, just buy mid grade. It’s as cheap as it’s ever been here! 99.9

You looking for marked gas? Did you go to the coop on Bowen and chase river? Both those have marked.
Went to both Bowen rd. and Harewood stations and both marked gas pumps are closed.
Yea, I guess a person can pull up to the regular pumps and pump mid-grade.
thanks for the replies.

Why mid grade ? My 4 stroke does just great on Costco regular... and I just drive up to the pump with boat in tow. $. 98.9 today.

I don’t think he was suggesting mid-grade is any better for the motor. Rather, marked gas is just mid-grade with dye added, so direct substitute if marked is what you are after.

Some manufactures recommend 89 or higher octane to get best performance for certain models. Higher HP Merc Verados for instance. Whether it actually makes a difference is a debate for another day.

Just make sure that there is no Ethanol in it. Ethanol is hydroscopic, hard on some fuel lines and is less energy dense than normal gas. “Marine” (marked gas) has no ethanol in it and is normally either mid or premium grade.

Last edited:
Just make sure that there is no Ethanol in it. Ethanol is hydroscopic, hard on some fuel lines and is less energy dense than normal gas. “Marine” (marked gas) has no ethanol in it and is normally either mid or premium grade.
From my experience with mark gas the dye in it messes with the sending unit in your tank and after while gives you false reading off fuel level, I just use regular gas with good stabilizer additive

Went to both Bowen rd. and Harewood stations and both marked gas pumps are closed.
Yea, I guess a person can pull up to the regular pumps and pump mid-grade.
thanks for the replies.

Just wanted to send an update to you guys. Went to the CO-OP on Bowen and they are now selling marked fuel. The lady explained they had closed the pump for covid but has since reopened it. Hope this helps. Now let's see if the Brechin boat ramp stays open. I heard they closed Nanoose Bay but those are private.

Just wanted to send an update to you guys. Went to the CO-OP on Bowen and they are now selling marked fuel. The lady explained they had closed the pump for covid but has since reopened it. Hope this helps. Now let's see if the Brechin boat ramp stays open. I heard they closed Nanoose Bay but those are private.

They are launching at Schooner Cove boat ramp. No gas available

Thanks for the heads up! I fueled my boat up after supporting the local economy(had my engines serviced at RPM group). Filled up for 85.9!

I've used marked fuel for boats since I was a snot nosed kid and my first boat back when I was 13....I'm 61 this month. I would be way more concerned with octane requirements than a little dye mixed with the fuel. Marked fuel is mid-grade at lower than regular prices....higher octane is good..period. But if you want to pay the province road tax for gas that isn't used on the road....fill your boots.

Back