What's for dinner tonight ?

89854860_10157720797266084_4394851321723748352_n.jpg
90058781_10157699077686084_1575497096272805888_n.jpg

Im a bit bored so ive made 6 loaves of bread and this Focccacia bread and made some Italian burgers to go with it . I was very fortnate finding a 30 qt HUGE hobart mixer makes bread and sausage making VERY easy

Roasted diced potatoes, yams, carrots, onions, orange peppers- let cool some so the eggs don't curdle
Flake about a pound of cold leftover salmon (I used a piece off a big chinook.)
Whisk 2 eggs, a tablespoon of flour, salt, pepper, pinch of cayenne
add egg mixture to other ingredients.
We used a long loaf pan, layed a square of store bought puff pastry, dumped in the filling and had enough dough to fold it back over the top. Bake at 350F for 30-40 mins.
Worked out well. Probably could use a Hollandaise sauce or similar.
salmon pie.jpg

Last edited:
Octopus Curry-not the prettiest pic but the Best I've ever done Octopus.

Starting Curry

IMGP0184.jpg

Lovely Octopus bought on the fish sales dock in Steveston village

IMGP0185.jpg

Cleaning Octopus with Salt-rub for 5+ minutes

IMGP0186.jpg

Rinsed/cleaned/chopped Octopus meat

IMGP0187.jpg

Finished dish after an hour simmering easily enough for two people served on smoked Basmati rice

IMGP0188.jpg

This looks delicious! I had to Google what a clafoutis was...is it an egg-y taste?

Is this along the lines of how you prepared the dish?
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237063/chef-johns-blueberry-clafoutis/

Yes it's like a denser custard base. It's not like a cakey cobbler base. So if you like that kind of a desert you will like this. Half my family likes the cobbler type fruit deserts and the other half like the custard type so I'll be making the cobbler version on the weekend for them. With this custard type if you want to add other flavors you can add them to the liquid base like liquors or nut extracts etc. I have made a bourbon black cherry one that was very good as well.

Barbecued teriyaki marinade (pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, minced garlic) bone in prime rib steaks.
For desert organic blueberry Clafoutis served with vanilla bean ice cream.

View attachment 51480

View attachment 51481

View attachment 51482

View attachment 51483

View attachment 51487

Although I love the looks of that beef as an Alberta boy I shutter when I see a prime rib covered in sauce lol. Where’s the beef flavour in all that. I joke of course each to his own you enjoy it as you choose.

Although I love the looks of that beef as an Alberta boy I shutter when I see a prime rib covered in sauce lol. Where’s the beef flavour in all that. I joke of course each to his own you enjoy it as you choose.
Ya I usually don't marinade prime rib but we bought 4 of these steaks from a butcher we don't usually go to. Due to the virus and the stores being out of stock I went to a new place. The first two we ate I prepared just with sea salt and cracked pepper as I usually do and beef was much tougher than the AAA quality we usually get from our regular place so that's why we went with the marinade for the other two. If you've seen my other posts over the years on how I try to source AAA and Prime grade beef from both BC and Alberta sources you would notice how I really look for good beef with excellent marbling etc. Have been out of luck lately with everyone hording meat and can't get the good cuts too easily right now.
We usually use this marinade for flank steak to make sliced bbq medallions with.

I knew there was a reason, but had to throw a bit of a rub in there.
I’m sure that Kamloops country must raise some awesome beef some nice lookin grass in that country and some long standing beef producers out there.
I am lucky as well, we have an excellent shop in town, second generation family ran shop that really takes pride in their stuff. They source all top quality local beef and will age to what ever you want, you just have to pay for is all. But they’ll sit on it as long as they can and as long as you can stand it lol, I’ve gotten some unreal aged prime rib roast from them the last couple years. The wife didn’t like it I made the mistake of letting her smell one last summer before I roasted it and it was a 30 + day aged piece beef. Latterly melted in your mouth but it was a little strong for her as she had the smell of it in her mind. But man can those guys age meat for a guy.

I knew there was a reason, but had to throw a bit of a rub in there.
I’m sure that Kamloops country must raise some awesome beef some nice lookin grass in that country and some long standing beef producers out there.
I am lucky as well, we have an excellent shop in town, second generation family ran shop that really takes pride in their stuff. They source all top quality local beef and will age to what ever you want, you just have to pay for is all. But they’ll sit on it as long as they can and as long as you can stand it lol, I’ve gotten some unreal aged prime rib roast from them the last couple years. The wife didn’t like it I made the mistake of letting her smell one last summer before I roasted it and it was a 30 + day aged piece beef. Latterly melted in your mouth but it was a little strong for her as she had the smell of it in her mind. But man can those guys age meat for a guy.
Right on ya there's a lot that goes into producing great quality beef for sure. Yes there is some very good beef in BC but not as common to get excellent quality like it is in Alberta. You really gotta pay for the good quality here though. It can get very pricey where I will wait for the shop to let me know if they are going to put a sale on. At times I'll order the whole rib to save some $. The butcher I usually get the good stuff from sells everything from Canada AAA Prime, Kobe, Wagyu, and they dry age for as long as you want. They carry local Canadian Wagyu, American Wagyu, and Australian Wagyu, Japanese Wagyu, as well as other AAA from Alberta and BC from full grass fed (not a fan) to grass then grain finished. I have tried Wagyu from all the source countries and I'm not a fan. Too much fat and not enough beef flavor for me. I'll take a part grass fed, grain finished Angus any day over the Wagyu but it's all personal preference. I've gotten them to age whole ribs for me for up to 54 days and it was too strong. I have done three of them now over the past couple years and I like 30 days myself the best. Still has lot's of the original beefy flavor with a hint of the nuttiness coming from the aging. Ya I can see how your wife was put off by the smell of a long aged piece of beef. I was there when they were trimming off the outsides and cutting my 54 day aged rib into steaks and I was a bit shocked how it looks after the long age lol. Very complex flavors come from such a long age and some can be over powering for sure.
If I can't get beef from my regular butcher then I will get Thrifties AAA Sterling Silver. But even with them you can get really good quality or not so good at times. This year for some reason their beef hasn't been nearly as good as it was last year. Not sure if they changed suppliers or what. But the Thrifties in Coquitlam will also dry age for you if you want and they sell dry aged there in the counter as well.

Some of my purchases from my favorite butcher in Vancouver. Cioffi's :

dry aging for their customers custom orders
28061440_347206565780922_2736169138971765820_o.jpg
my 54 day dry aged whole rib cut into steaks
28238831_347206712447574_6424433800359655576_o.jpg

Alberta AAA grass fed, grain finished
28162199_347206735780905_225042461512686826_o.jpg
Japanese Wagyu prime rib BMS grade #9
28061061_347206522447593_957192589445870135_o.jpg
Alberta prime short ribs
28071309_347206782447567_5774115005837556730_o.jpg

Beefway did a 45 day for my Christmas and I absolutely hated it. Not a hint of beef flavor left. Couldn't stand the smell of it even cooking.

Beefway did a 45 day for my Christmas and I absolutely hated it. Not a hint of beef flavor left. Couldn't stand the smell of it even cooking.
After 30 day's the flavors get stronger and stronger. I agree I didn't enjoy the 54 day one either. Way to over powering flavor. I have another 30 day aged whole rib on order right now. For my families tastes this is where the beef flavor is still very prominent and some sweetness is added. When I time it right the butcher lets me know when all their whole ribs are coming in. I can go there and pick out the whole rib I want by best marbling, best cap's etc.

I agree not a fan of Wagyu, only had it once but not my thing. Beef gets its flavour from the grass the grain is just for some marbling and to put on weight on for market. There is a difference even in AB from south to north in our beef. Southern beef is very close to your Kamloops beef as the grasses are similar northern beef eats more pasture blends, rye grass, timothy, alphalfa and wild dandy lion. Our northern beef if pastured right needs very little grain in the fall as our grasses are a lot more nutritious than the southern plains grasses. Some farmers in our country take a lot of pride in there grass selection for their pastures. They go as far as naming their beef by farm or family. Lots of pride goes into some of that meat and a local shop knows the best ones and buys and has them inspected for their shop, it gets to be quite the thing.

Back