South Island Lakes 2020

My pontoon boat’s been in storage for a very long time. It’s coming out of the shed today for inspection and will ride permanently in the back of my truck going forward.
My kids are grown now, I have my life back, after work trout fishing may just be on the menu. :D

I will likely get back to lake fishing as I no longer have my boat for the ocean.

After fighting Chinook for a few years, don’t think I’ll get the rush I used to get, but I will say that rainbow trout are some of the most beautiful fish on earth.

from shore, I throw out 2 power eggs with a dip of “basscrack” which they can’t resist.

Trolling, I like little rooster tails in rainbow or blue/silver with a couple of split shots.

I will likely get back to lake fishing as I no longer have my boat for the ocean.

After fighting Chinook for a few years, don’t think I’ll get the rush I used to get, but I will say that rainbow trout are some of the most beautiful fish on earth.

from shore, I throw out 2 power eggs with a dip of “basscrack” which they can’t resist.

Trolling, I like little rooster tails in rainbow or blue/silver with a couple of split shots.
I got away from salt fishing for a long time, I’d had my lifetime fill in Barkley Sound as a young
Fellow. I turned to steelhead and trout. Then about 10 years ago the saltwater bug came back. But, we know how that’s going, so trout it is. If it’s the consolation prize, so be it. It scratches the itch nicely and it’s cheap to do, comparatively speaking to ocean fishing.

Have fun, there’s a lot of places to explore.

I am one of those guys like @Kildonan...any fishing is appealing to me! I grew up casting for Pike and jigging Walleye so catching Rainbows on a 5/6 weight fly rod is great sport for me! At this time of year I simply troll a fly on a full sink line and when they are feeding they hit a lot like a Coho on a bucktail, so lots of fun on light gear. Hope you can get out and enjoy any type of fishing, especially during these uncertain times. Fishing can certainly be a welcome distraction and I personally find being on any body of water a peaceful time where I forget about all that is going on around me.

I am one of those guys like @Kildonan...any fishing is appealing to me! I grew up casting for Pike and jigging Walleye so catching Rainbows on a 5/6 weight fly rod is great sport for me! At this time of year I simply troll a fly on a full sink line and when they are feeding they hit a lot like a Coho on a bucktail, so lots of fun on light gear. Hope you can get out and enjoy any type of fishing, especially during these uncertain times. Fishing can certainly be a welcome distraction and I personally find being on any body of water a peaceful time where I forget about all that is going on around me.

Same here! One of my best moments was my first attempt to catch a bass. It was Prospect lake, and I threw a spinnerbait on my trout rod. I floated out on my little aluminum boat to the grass across from the launch. First cast, I don’t even think it hit the water and one NAILED it... it jumped about 10 times then wrapped around a log and I thought game over.
Somehow it unwrapped itself and jumped 3 more times while I’m hooting and hollering with delight. Lipped an 8+ pounder!

Same here! One of my best moments was my first attempt to catch a bass. It was Prospect lake, and I threw a spinnerbait on my trout rod. I floated out on my little aluminum boat to the grass across from the launch. First cast, I don’t even think it hit the water and one NAILED it... it jumped about 10 times then wrapped around a log and I thought game over.
Somehow it unwrapped itself and jumped 3 more times while I’m hooting and hollering with delight. Lipped an 8+ pounder!
I caught the same bass many times, once out with my son I said just kick past the buoy and hang on tight and sure enough he caught him too. Like Admin I just troll flies on sinking lines prospect or elk if you see a old fart in a old but pretty wood boat say hi from six feet away 409BE949-09BD-4281-85A2-06237FB5D3A1.jpeg

My ocean boat which I am partners with my son has gone to lake Cowichan where he and his family are isolating so I am going to be trout fishing probably on Elk . The picture is the first dinner he caught in Cowichan AB79D9A3-A25D-429A-8882-EAB509DA8B4C.jpeg

Stizzla, we have to get you into fly fishing. Even if you start by trolling with a full sink line and some nymphs. Learning to cast can come later after you are hooked. Trolling with a fly compared to a spinning outfit is like going from catching a pink salmon to catching a teener chinook. Totally different experience. I wouldn’t even think about taking a spinning outfit if I was going trout fishing.

Try it and you will be hooked. And no not with a rooster tail on it. LOL

Oly

Stizzla, we have to get you into fly fishing. Even if you start by trolling with a full sink line and some nymphs. Learning to cast can come later after you are hooked. Trolling with a fly compared to a spinning outfit is like going from catching a pink salmon to catching a teener chinook. Totally different experience. I wouldn’t even think about taking a spinning outfit if I was going trout fishing.

Try it and you will be hooked. And no not with a rooster tail on it. LOL

Oly
Stizzla I would love to help with your transition to fly dragging do you have anything that floats for the lake? If not I can find a float tube in my crawl space that I am not using and I could tie you up some of my favourite flies if you want to go to Elk sometime let me know what you need and we can meet six feet apart

I used to think that fly fishing was "better" too. Then the former owner of Lyman Lures told me many stories about tossing his tiniest plugs on an ultralight setup from a belly boat on a peaceful mountain lake. The point being the tranquility and enjoyment of being on the water is more important than the gear. I enjoy it all, but still enjoy flyfishing mostly because of the matching the hatch aspect with my own tied flies.

I used to think that fly fishing was "better" too. Then the former owner of Lyman Lures told me many stories about tossing his tiniest plugs on an ultralight setup from a belly boat on a peaceful mountain lake. The point being the tranquility and enjoyment of being on the water is more important than the gear. I enjoy it all, but still enjoy flyfishing mostly because of the matching the hatch aspect with my own tied flies.
I absolutely agree I can’t wait to get on the water again soon

Stizzla I would love to help with your transition to fly dragging do you have anything that floats for the lake? If not I can find a float tube in my crawl space that I am not using and I could tie you up some of my favourite flies if you want to go to Elk sometime let me know what you need and we can meet six feet apart
Pm sent. Let’s hear some reports!

@Stizzla , let me check my stuff. Still kinda in storage from moving last year. I have a pontoon boat with oars and a rear deck for your cooler somewhere in storage. You’re welcome to it. It will get you out there and fishing the freshwater lakes. All you need is a set of waders or man up to the cold water. LOL. I think the name is Still waters but will have to check. Let me know.

Oly

Back