Jsmith

Hi there
I recently moved to Colwood and would love to go fishing on a regular basis and meet some like minded people. The kicker is I don’t have a boat or gear (yet). I would be more than happy to pay my way but I can’t afford to pay a fishing guide. This maybe a long shot but thought I would try.
I’m a 38 year old with a wife a 2 kids who loves the ocean and would like to learn from someone who fishes it.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the news? But maybe right now is not a good time to ask to go out on someone’s boat...

Maybe try back in a few months. There is a lot of great guys on here and I’m sure someone would be willing to help you out.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the news? But maybe right now is not a good time to ask to go out on someone’s boat...

Maybe try back in a few months. There is a lot of great guys on here and I’m sure someone would be willing to help you out.
Yes you are correct I ment once this all passes

Boating/fishing is not cheap there is a reason the guides charge what they do.
The guides are a business and I respect that. But they are also looking for groups of people/tourists. not a lone person looking to start out as a fisherman. I am not here to try to undermine someone’s livelihood. Just looking for a step in the right direction and meet some likeminded people

The guides are a business and I respect that. But they are also looking for groups of people/tourists. not a lone person looking to start out as a fisherman. I am not here to try to undermine someone’s livelihood. Just looking for a step in the right direction and meet some likeminded people

Why don't you put together a proposal and see if someone takes you up on it after things clear with is covid 19. What are you proposing? That you pay for gas and someone take you, your wife and kids out on a regular basis? Your post wasn't clear as to what your expectations are.

Ok here it goes. I am relatively new to the island. I have never been fishing on the ocean and would like to get into it but I know nothing about it. That being said I have no gear yet. I’m interested in learning about fishing all species.
I am looking to go out with someone or a group of guys that know what is what and have some extra gear they would lend me.
I am willing to chip in for fuel and supply or get some dinner and beers. I can’t afford hundreds of dollars for a one time fishing charter. Like I stated I’m a family man but no one is really interested in fishing but me so I’m solo in this adventure and would like to meet some like minded people once we are safe to resume our daily lives that is.
Thanks for the reply’s

Good luck with your post. I'd take you out if you lived on the mainland but I can tell you that you are correct. It is extremely expensive to own a boat and gear. Cost of fuel, maintenance, bait, etc add up fast. While it is nice to have someone else to fish with if you happen to fish solo that day, perhaps you can also offer to help prep and clean the boat afterwards it can be helpful. Or perhaps help them when they have projects or work on the boat,. You'll likely get invited next time out and more times in the future if you can do more than just pay for gas and some beers.

Back