Time for a new fishfinder

Samson

Hi All. My 13-year-old Lowrance elite 5 finally kicked the bucket. Not sure if it is the transducer or the unit itself, but it only picks up depths 5% of the time. I'm ready for a new unit.

I currently use my boat for prawning 90% of the time and fishing 10%. Now that I live on Gambier Island full-time, I'd like to make it more like 50-50.

Is there a unit for under $1000 that is good enough for what I am looking to do or will I regret not spending a few extra $$$ for something better? I'm overwhelmed by the choices out there. Thanks in advance.

For the most part, the smaller the screen the lower the price. I don't think a small screen would impact prawning much. As for fishing, the larger screen shows much more history so that if you are mucking with your gear & not watching the screen, chances are that when you are done mucking a look at the screen will show a mark you would have otherwise missed.
Knowing where & how deep the fish are are critical factors for success; depending on how you measure success. If it were me I'd get an Airmar TM 150 transducer medium frequency CHIRP & the biggest screen CHIRP sounder you WANT to afford; at least 8".

I bought a 9” garmin from Radioworld. I believe it’s still on sale for $899 from 1500. It’s sweet and comes with the transducer

I bought a 9” garmin from Radioworld. I believe it’s still on sale for $899 from 1500. It’s sweet and comes with the transducer
Thanks for the info. I am looking to upgrade/replace my fish finder as well. Does this unit come with west coast maps or do you have to buy it separately?

I replaced a Gen2 Lowrance HDS 7 with the Garmin EchoMap Plus 75CV last year, and love it! Came pre- loaded with all of Canada freshwater mapping but had to buy the chip for the marine areas. Can’t remember the cost but the new chips integrate the Garmin and Lowrance mapping for top notch charts. Easy to use and a much better screen than the old Lowrance unit, particularly in the sun. Great service and fast delivery from Radio City’s online store.

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks for the info. I am looking to upgrade/replace my fish finder as well. Does this unit come with west coast maps or do you have to buy it separately?
You have to add G3 maps. $280.
The 7” and 9” have the same resolution 400x800 so the 9” does not display more information just everything is bigger

I replaced a Gen2 Lowrance HDS 7 with the Garmin EchoMap Plus 75CV last year, and love it! Came pre- loaded with all of Canada freshwater mapping but had to buy the chip for the marine areas. Can’t remember the cost but the new chips integrate the Garmin and Lowrance mapping for top notch charts. Easy to use and a much better screen than the old Lowrance unit, particularly in the sun. Great service and fast delivery from Radio City’s online store.

Cheers!

Ukee
Radio world is part of GPS Central too. Both have been good to me

I bought them separately. I believe it comes with all of North America but you can upgrade to a much better version

Thanks All!! I will definitely check out all the options suggested. Does anyone know if the
Lowrance® Elite-7 Ti² 3 in 1 with Nav+ comes with a transducer? It says 3-in-1 ready, but no mention of transducer on the product info. There is a $400 rebate on the HDS 7, but I also can't tell if it comes with a transducer.

Thanks All!! I will definitely check out all the options suggested. Does anyone know if the
Lowrance® Elite-7 Ti² 3 in 1 with Nav+ comes with a transducer? It says 3-in-1 ready, but no mention of transducer on the product info. There is a $400 rebate on the HDS 7, but I also can't tell if it comes with a transducer.

In my experience they typically do not. I have both an elite 7ti and elite 9ti right now and am wanting to get rid of one. Either one would come with a totalscan transducer!

In my experience they typically do not. I have both an elite 7ti and elite 9ti right now and am wanting to get rid of one. Either one would come with a totalscan transducer!

Hi Alex! I might be interested. Can you name your price on the 7Ti plus transducer? Is it new or used? My email is robcocquyt at gmail.com

Back