2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuBy

For those that don't know prawning off nanaimo now is a pulse fishery meaning its closed for the first half of the month and then open for the latter half of the month. see link https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html#prawn for more.

Subareas 16-6, 16-7, 17-6, 17-9 to 17-13, and 17-18 are closed from:

• January 1 to 15, 2020
  • February 1 to 15, 2020
  • March 1 to 15, 2020

nanaimo-puls.JPG

Was out today in the sunshine. Only one just under for a couple of hours of fishing. Beautiful looking fish on a green spatter back spoon 140'.

Was out today in the sunshine. Only one just under for a couple of hours of fishing. Beautiful looking fish on a green spatter back spoon 140'.
Is there still a million Sea Lions around?

Leaving Duke Point last Friday there were a $hit ton swimming around...(sea lions)

I was out at Porllier a week ago and there must have been thousands of them. Herds of twenty to fifty swimming by all afternoon. They were going north and south, so perhaps they were the same ones swimming in a huge circle. There wasn't a time when they were not insight, sometimes three and four groups at at time.
And if you are wondering, no we did not catch even one shaker, but it was a beautiful day to be out boating.

Got out for some prawning today off of Entrance Island, it was a little rough but we managed to get some prawns. Unfortunately, we were unable to track down one of our sets, so hopefully we can find it next time we’re out or someone will come across it and give us a call!

If anyone notices a scotchman floating out of place in the area, it has my name and phone number on it, give me a call or text.

Got out for some prawning today off of Entrance Island, it was a little rough but we managed to get some prawns. Unfortunately, we were unable to track down one of our sets, so hopefully we can find it next time we’re out or someone will come across it and give us a call!

If anyone notices a scotchman floating out of place in the area, it has my name and phone number on it, give me a call or text.[/QUOTE

Im going to try and get out by tues, send me PM with yur name on buoy, if u do not find.

Hope to be heading out Sunday or Monday... No Nanaimo reports form anyone???
I will give you my thoughts. I was out today (Friday). It was great weather, low wind, and although I caught 8 springs, (and lost a doubleheader as they got tangled crossing lines, lol) All were undersize. I caught fish on plugs, and lures. The low tide change was the key time to fish. The most productive area was following the contours of 300+ depths of water. The bigger ones are coming and could be any day. Maybe see ya out on the water, good luck. Oh, by the way, I did catch 3 Hake. Those miserable things are back....

Oh, the dreaded hake. Sounds like you did quite well actually.
Thanks for the info - tight lines...

"Someday" - you inspired me so we headed out this morn. Gear was working pretty good and we hooked 4 undersize springs in a couple hours. Wind came up pretty good to 16 knots so we headed back. Was nice to get out though. Lost a cannon ball due to not checking for frayed downrigger line. Darn.

I will give you my thoughts. I was out today (Friday). It was great weather, low wind, and although I caught 8 springs, (and lost a doubleheader as they got tangled crossing lines, lol) All were undersize. I caught fish on plugs, and lures. The low tide change was the key time to fish. The most productive area was following the contours of 300+ depths of water. The bigger ones are coming and could be any day. Maybe see ya out on the water, good luck. Oh, by the way, I did catch 3 Hake. Those miserable things are back....
Friday was indeed a very nice day. Landed & released 12 undersize springs off the fingers. had better luck with crabs. Put down 4 traps and limited out (3 fishers) on the first 2 puller up.

Well, I gave it a half decent effort to put some fresh meat in the freezer getting out 4 times with my family over the last 9 days. But it wasn’t meant to be for us. We caught lots of fish but only one was brought in the boat to measure and it was 61.5 cm so I sent him on his way to swim another day.

We fished all over the place and caught fish everywhere. The spoil grounds, fingers, neck point, double humps and lots of depth shelf in between. Best depth the last few days was 237 on the rigger(600-900’ of water) with herring aid and Irish cream being the most productive spoons.

We would have liked to get a fresh fish for the BBQ, but it was still nice to be on the water and get the family out of the house.

Pretty much same report as @ExFlyGuy . Went out 5 times in the past two weeks when the weather permitted. Primarily fished inside horsewell on the sand flats and the double bumps. First trip I let two swim another day that looked to be right around 60-62ish. Next couple times out I put in a few short trips and absolutely no love at all. Last two trips out I managed one pin popper each time, the first one I landed (around 8lbs) and the second one shook the hook after a short battle. Decent amount of shakers small springs around 50cms, an excuse to check the gear I guess. Fished spoons down deep, around 228/240 on the rigger. Herring aid skinny G and Andrew P needlefish did the best. I did a few tacks out in the 600-900 foot range and marked a substantial amount of fish in the 300-400 foot range.

Pretty much same report as @ExFlyGuy . Went out 5 times in the past two weeks when the weather permitted. Primarily fished inside horsewell on the sand flats and the double bumps. First trip I let two swim another day that looked to be right around 60-62ish. Next couple times out I put in a few short trips and absolutely no love at all. Last two trips out I managed one pin popper each time, the first one I landed (around 8lbs) and the second one shook the hook after a short battle. Decent amount of shakers small springs around 50cms, an excuse to check the gear I guess. Fished spoons down deep, around 228/240 on the rigger. Herring aid skinny G and Andrew P needlefish did the best. I did a few tacks out in the 600-900 foot range and marked a substantial amount of fish in the 300-400 foot range.

We trolled by you on Sunday on the sand flats as we were finishing up our day. my wife looked over and said that's a really nice boat and I like that colour!

Maybe a Pursuit is in our future!

We trolled by you on Sunday on the sand flats as we were finishing up our day. my wife looked over and said that's a really nice boat and I like that colour!

Maybe a Pursuit is in our future!

Yes sir I saw you hook up right on the double bumps there. You did a great job on that boat, it looks outstanding. P.S. that new Merc sounded pretty nice taking off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back