I called wild life officers one someone...

Huyfishin

I called wild life officers on some guys, was stuck fishing next to them for 5 hours and no officers showed up. Whats the deal?

I also see guys crabbing and not measuring crab just throwing them directly in their bucket and leaving.

So disappointed. Is this a common issue with officers no show or being to busy?

What were they doing that warranted you calling wildlife officers? If you were on the ocean and it was fishing related offence you should have called DFO not Canadian Wildlife Officers or the Conservation Officers. Did you actually see an offence occur?

What were they doing that warranted you calling wildlife officers? If you were on the ocean and it was fishing related offence you should have called DFO not Canadian Wildlife Officers or the Conservation Officers. Did you actually see an offence occur?

Hey Juby,

The first occurrence was at a small lake bass and trout lake. 2 guys on the dock with 5 or 6 rods/lines in the water at a time. Which I was certain is not allowed.

2nd occurrence was crabbing and I watch them with my very own eyes take crab straight from a cage and into the bucket it went with no measuring so i only suspected of them. We were on a pier and not on a boat so i could see it clear as day. They were not that large.

I wasn't ready to walk over there and measure it for them though. Last thing I want is a verbal argument or to be attacked.

Hey Juby,

The first occurrence was at a small lake bass and trout lake. 2 guys on the dock with 5 or 6 rods/lines in the water at a time. Which I was certain is not allowed.

2nd occurrence was crabbing and I watch them with my very own eyes take crab straight from a cage and into the bucket it went with no measuring so i only suspected of them. We were on a pier and not on a boat so i could see it clear as day. They were not that large.

I wasn't ready to walk over there and measure it for them though. Last thing I want is a verbal argument or to be attacked.
Go to the dock at belcarra park in Port Moody and look into the buckets. Apparently nobody believes in crab size restrictions there.

There are a limited number of enforcement officers for fish and wildlife violations. Unfortunately they cant always get to every reported occurrence. It is still worth reporting though as they can use the reports to plan patrols to high risk areas and lobby for more staff/better funding. Make sure your report is as detailed and factual as possible. Good descriptions, Licence plate numbers, vessel numbers, photos if its safe to get them..
Far too often the reports are ... "There was a guy (insert nationality) who was here 6 hours ago and we think he might have been doing something. Aren't sure what he was driving or what his boat looked like." No one is going to come running on info like that.

Observe Record Report 1 800 465 4336

DFO C&P are always challenged within their budgets and person-years to respond to many calls. Some areas of the Province had nearly sufficient resources - particularly in the more settled regions - while much of the Netherlands are largely unpatrolled and unenforced for much of the year (which is why I am critical of the unsupported assumptions around effectiveness of RCAs and MPAs).

Sometimes & some places it makes more sense to call the Provincial COs.

Also, there is a way - or used to be - to lay a private charge under the Fisheries Act - if you have adequate "proof" (pics, affidavits, etc.). Not sure how that is accomplished anymore. Might be worthwhile to phone your nearest DFO C&P office and inquire?

DFO C&P are always challenged within their budgets and person-years to respond to many calls. Some areas of the Province had nearly sufficient resources - particularly in the more settled regions - while much of the Netherlands are largely unpatrolled and unenforced for much of the year (which is why I am critical of the unsupported assumptions around effectiveness of RCAs and MPAs).

Sometimes & some places it makes more sense to call the Provincial COs.

Also, there is a way - or used to be - to lay a private charge under the Fisheries Act - if you have adequate "proof" (pics, affidavits, etc.). Not sure how that is accomplished anymore. Might be worthwhile to phone your nearest DFO C&P office and inquire?
Hey Agent are you dissing the Dutch lol? Netherlands? Did you mean hinterlands. Or are those Dutch up to no good?

Hey Agent are you dissing the Dutch lol? Netherlands? Did you mean hinterlands. Or are those Dutch up to no good?
Ha! Good one Ziggy. Autocorrect. Never noticed until you pointed it out. Funny. I think I'll leave it. Apologies to any Dutch reading this! :)

I heard a presentation from Fisheries Officer at my local SFAB meeting back in the fall and he was speaking about their enforcement priorities. It gave me a whole new perspective on the issues.

He spoke about the constraints of their staffing resources, how many officers they have, and how that isn't enough to do all that they need to do. Then there's the workload. It takes an immense amount of time to take something from investigation to recommending charges (or not), to conviction (or not). The lack of officers, and the amount of administrative time to see justice through, means far less boots on the ground in the field.

Then there were the enforcement priorities. As he explained it, their top priority was illegal shellfish harvesting and sales. Harvesting and selling contaminated shellfish is a public health issue and puts an entire industry at risk if the word gets out that Canadian shellfish make you sick. That didn't sit well with a roomful of salmon anglers who wanted increased enforcement of fishing violations, but it helped me understand the pressures that the Department is facing.

Yes, it's very disappointing when you make a call and they don't show. But it also helps to understand the other side of the equation.

Back