Are trap buoys without names free game?

Cookie's Cutter

With all this talk about poachers I am wondering what peoples thoughts are about traps with no names or numbers on them.

Are they free for the taking? regs clearly state must have name and phone number on them.

With all this talk about poachers I am wondering what peoples thoughts are about traps with no names or numbers on them.

Are they free for the taking? regs clearly state must have name and phone number on them.

Just write your name and number on it. /s

If it is not your trap leave it alone. Playing vigilante fish cop checking other peoples floats will end up causing you some problems. Unless something has changed, the regs. do not clearly state that names and phone numbers are required. Only names are required although your phone # may not be a bad idea if the trap were lost.

Just write your name and number on it. /s

Thats not what I am getting at. Lets say some guy has 47 traps out there and for argument sake say his name is Charles Ink. and he doesn’t write his name on the traps.

Should honest Joe fisherman go and pull them for him?

Thats not what I am getting at. Lets say some guy has 47 traps out there and for argument sake say his name is Charles Ink. and he doesn’t write his name on the traps.

Should honest Joe fisherman go and pull them for him?
Do it. Report back. I'm interested.

I would imagine that if you or anyone else pulled a noncompliant trap of any type and happened to be witnessed by WFO you the current trap possessor would be liable and get a ticket. Its like getting pulled over by a police and find an open beer, good luck trying to convince them its not yours. My advise is to not worry about the poachers and idiots out there that have no respect for our fishing regulations, rather enjoy what you are legally allowed. Karma always catches up and the fish gods (wink) will reward you in other ways.

Is a boat without registration numbers on it free game? It's just sitting there tied up at a dock.....is it yours now?

Is a vehicle parked without a license plate on it free game?

If he's got 47 traps out there....you go and f*ck with him and see how it goes. Some people don't know or don't care to read the regs carefully enough and unless your paycheck comes from DFO I'd just carry on.

Only time you'd see me pull them is if it's adrift out in water and even then I'd at least post up here to see if they were someones.

Is a boat without registration numbers on it free game? It's just sitting there tied up at a dock.....is it yours now?

Is a vehicle parked without a license plate on it free game?

If he's got 47 traps out there....you go and f*ck with him and see how it goes. Some people don't know or don't care to read the regs carefully enough and unless your paycheck comes from DFO I'd just carry on.

Only time you'd see me pull them is if it's adrift out in water and even then I'd at least post up here to see if they were someones.

Yeah I agree.

I only pull unmarked if they are appearing abandoned or lost, (growth and strange location for too long)

You shouldn’t be thinking like that.
Unless they are clearly abandoned they belong to someone.
Now if the so called owner doesn’t mark them or whatever then that’s his/her problem.
If it really bugs you that much then report it but you certainly don’t want to start messing around with someone else’s gear.
Bottom line -it’s not yours ,leave it alone.

how about while dragging for your lost traps and hooking good traps with no buoys anywhere to be seen

I've personally seen many trap floats that are just about to go underwater with the rising tide or is already under water. Funny that these traps usually don't have names on them. I've had to fish the floats out from a couple feet underwater on a few occasions and drag them closer to shore, I'm sure a few props were saved.

A few times I've found a float that's super low in the water, and drifting in 1,000 feet of water. Sometimes I've pulled them by hand and reunited probably 3-4 guys with their traps, and only ONE has been classy enough to bring a bottle of wine as a thank you. If someone reunites you with your traps, a pack of beer as a thank you is the bare minimum!

I've pulled clearly lost traps (in kelp bed, wrapped around logboom, hanging from buoy in middle of Saanich Inlet), and tried to return to their owner. Only one I kept was a trap connected to a piece of floating twine on a plastic hand spool with no float. Maybe the float came off or maybe they were trying to be incognito. I nearly tangled it in my prop and figured it should be removed as a hazard to navigation.

Back