2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Brook Bay today (out of Crofton). Wind was a bit too fierce for my 18 footer but managed to make it across without taking on too much water. Fished from 10 to 1, close to bottom anywhere from 110 to 14o on DR with spoons and only got one shaker. Had quite a few pin poppers but nothing on when I grabbed rod so thinking perhaps the flasher was hitting bottom and popping pin? One other boat was fishing a similar tack to me and they got what looked like one nice keeper and at least one smaller sub legal, may have caught more that I didn't see. Perhaps today was a bait or hoochie day. When sun came out turned into a half decent day out there.

See the survey on the Saltwater fishing site!

As we wait for the first person on this forum to go fishing in the gulf islands in 2020 ;) ... I thought I'd post something gulf island fishing related and it looks like the galiano derby is on this year for May 23rd.

Derby info is here - https://www.facebook.com/galianosalmonclassic/

I got my tickets already at - https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2020-galiano-salmon-classic-tickets-89329973355?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

Last year was a catch & release event due to the regs during the time that didn't allow retention. I guess we will all wait and see what happens for this year but if the regs are the same I guess it will be a similar format to last year. The fishing at the derby last year was pretty insane as almost all boats had several fish to the boat. Hoping the fishing is as good this year.

Anyone out there lately? I did hear of a few guys getting fish around Porlier a couple weeks ago but nobody posted anything here. I'm hoping to get out soon

Attachments

• 2020 Galiano Derby Flyer.jpg
    2020 Galiano Derby Flyer.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 30
As we wait for the first person on this forum to go fishing in the gulf islands in 2020 ;) ... I thought I'd post something gulf island fishing related and it looks like the galiano derby is on this year for May 23rd.

Derby info is here - https://www.facebook.com/galianosalmonclassic/

I got my tickets already at - https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2020-galiano-salmon-classic-tickets-89329973355?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

Last year was a catch & release event due to the regs during the time that didn't allow retention. I guess we will all wait and see what happens for this year but if the regs are the same I guess it will be a similar format to last year. The fishing at the derby last year was pretty insane as almost all boats had several fish to the boat. Hoping the fishing is as good this year.

Anyone out there lately? I did hear of a few guys getting fish around Porlier a couple weeks ago but nobody posted anything here. I'm hoping to get out soon
Still really on the fence about it unfortunately. Sounds like it'll be the same regs as last year. You're right the fishing was IN-SANE last year. Eventually I couldn't help but feel guilty about all the fish we probably killed trying to get measurements. Had a couple dozen to the boat by lunch but stopped measuring after the first 7 or 8. I feel like they should just have a biggest fish prize so guys will only measure gooders. Then just do raffles for the rest. It's a great event with good people.

Headed out to Porlier Pass for some winters in the sun this AM. Got boarded by DFO not long after getting there. Funny you don’t ever see them around come spring when there’s lots of boats around lol. Anyways they got us to pull a line and checked the gear and our licenses quickly and they were on their way. There were a good number of Springs around and we had steady action for the whole ebb. The fish were hitting anchovies right in the mud in the 180-220 foot contour. Had to be bouncing bottom. We kept 3 up to 12 pounds. We realeased a few just legal looking for a bigger one but ran out of chovys and called it a day. One marble and two bright red perfect for the BBQ. The fish were stuffed with anchovies and a couple big herring that were getting close to spawn. Couldn’t have asked for a better February day.

Attachments

• 8AA6D325-D67B-45B9-8F65-578BCC2E1D0E.jpeg
    8AA6D325-D67B-45B9-8F65-578BCC2E1D0E.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 185
Don’t have a report. Maybe tomorrow..

Anybody ever fish in plumper? Between hope bay and razor maybe?

Don’t have a report. Maybe tomorrow..

Anybody ever fish in plumper? Between hope bay and razor maybe?
Crickets eh? Hmmm. Oh well. Fished fairfax today around the low. 3 just under, all on the top rod at 99 feet. Marked lots but no keepers for me... couple other boats out there too

Out of Crofton fishing prawns yesterday.Headed out off Tent Island with a dozen other boats first thing on a flat calm but chilly morning.My fishing buddy talked me into just bringing the jigging rods along and leaving the downriggers at home for a change.
Turned out it paid off as there was a ton of feed on the sounder and we were marking fish as well.Jigging just off the bottom I got a nice 10 lb. winter with a glow green Stingzelda type lure and my buddy hooked up one a little later that he lost at the boat that was a little smaller.Prawning was decent,but almost all the large ones were still bearing eggs and went back.Usually by this time they're pretty well done with just the odd berried one.I guess they're a little late this year.Great day on the water that was definately theraputic with all this **** going on right now.
FNF.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Out at Porlier yesterday morning 7-10. Three legal springs to the boat, two of which were kept. All right on bottom in 150-180' on 3" spoons. One double header was challenging on my own but managed to get both fish (just unders) to the boat. A bit choppy but great to get out of the house.

Needed a couple days away from “the situation” so snuck away to the cabin. Thursday did some prawning/crabbing on the inside (not as many as I hoped this time of year) Friday morning fished Salamanca area. Slow for a couple hours then hit a double header off gossip island, 140 & 160 on the riggers, both skinny G spoons, in 180 of water. Lost one while trying to play both, other one to the boat a keeper size hatchery... it’s a shame we can’t even keep a small hatchery, definitely not one of the Fraser stock they are trying to save.

Needed a couple days away from “the situation” so snuck away to the cabin. Thursday did some prawning/crabbing on the inside (not as many as I hoped this time of year) Friday morning fished Salamanca area. Slow for a couple hours then hit a double header off gossip island, 140 & 160 on the riggers, both skinny G spoons, in 180 of water. Lost one while trying to play both, other one to the boat a keeper size hatchery... it’s a shame we can’t even keep a small hatchery, definitely not one of the Fraser stock they are trying to save.
is a shame should be able to keep at least one hatchery spring as there not the stocks of concern the ones that r the ones they r concerned with are the interior fraser river stocks which aren't even around yet

Well, tried down south for some halibut with no luck. Prawning in the gulf islands is good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back