2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Nobody been out fishing in the sound ? Looking forward to getting back over to the nook.

Attachments

• A2BD1BE9-3CD3-4D65-B630-8350BFCAC8E9.png
    A2BD1BE9-3CD3-4D65-B630-8350BFCAC8E9.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 252
Has anyone heard the status of the supposed chip sealing of bamfield road? There seemed to be a lot of talk after the bus accident, but I have not heard anything in the last few months.

Has anyone heard the status of the supposed chip sealing of bamfield road? There seemed to be a lot of talk after the bus accident, but I have not heard anything in the last few months.

Now that the bus accident is "old news", Horgan can ignore it again.
Actually the road is worse now than I have seen it in years, likely due to the WFP strike.
As far as I know, there is no chip sealing planned. It will obviously require many more studies, consultants reports, etc etc etc.

Now that the bus accident is "old news", Horgan can ignore it again.
Actually the road is worse now than I have seen it in years, likely due to the WFP strike.
As far as I know, there is no chip sealing planned. It will obviously require many more studies, consultants reports, etc etc etc.
Maybe the Prince and his wife might buy a place up there and cover it with Gold for you guys

I hope they just leave it alone........ better roads means more people.

April 1 my boat will be in at China creek, hopefully get up to Bamfield right away.

We should be fishing by Next Friday afternoon, getting ready for the loggers derby. The reels are re spooled with fresh line. Going to tied up some new leaders. Throw some anchovy’s on brine , shine up spoons. I sure hope this week goes fast. Looking forward to getting out on the water. :cool:

RE . Bamfield road
i have been meaning to send this along , sorry for so late .

i will give the short version of this letter sent to me .

The road to Bamfield is on Crown land and under license to Western Forest Products who operate and maintain the road. Another section is licensed to Mosaic Forest Management as an industrial road . The ministry has a long standing agreement with these companies through which we provide supplementary funding of approximately
$452,000 Annually . The forest companies are responsible for ensuring the route is maintained.

Ministry staff have reached out to the Huu-ay-aht first nations and are providing technical expertise and assistance to them while they undertake an engineering investigation into improvements and hard surfacing Bamfield road. this information will inform the Huu-ay-aht First nation on the level of investment required to hard surface the road and help them seek out potential funding partners.

Our next step is to form an action group with the Huu-ay-aht First nation and other key stakeholders to develop a plan to look specifically at how to improve safety on the road.

Should you want a update on the progress of this work, please do not hesitate to contact the ministry's local District Manager , Michael Pearson. he can be reached by telephone at
250 751-3287 or by email at Michael.Pearson@gov.bc.ca and he would be pleased to assist you.

Claire Trevena
Minister

copy to John Horgan.

The Premier met with the Huu-ay-aht First nations on NOV.14

To me this looks like no chip seal in 2020 .

So Macdaddy , does this help a wee bit ?

Not really !

Took a visitor from Saskatchewan for a quick visit to the sound this past weekend.
Also served as a shakedown for the boat.

A notable lack of birds and pinnipeds.
Weather and sea state were about perfect!

Prawning was good. A brief troll near Swale didn't produce.
In several locations the sounder showed large schools of bait 150' down.

Good luck and safe trips next weekend, everyone!

I’m planning on coming out in mid July for my stag/fishing trip. Did salmon close out there last spring like it did on the inside? If so when did it open back up? Any thoughts or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last year, inside Barkley out to one mile from shore (surfline) was open for chinooks, then offshore opened later in the summer, but the date is foggy in my brain. July 15 or 16 I'm pretty sure.

Last year, inside Barkley out to one mile from shore (surfline) was open for chinooks, then offshore opened later in the summer, but the date is foggy in my brain. July 15 or 16 I'm pretty sure.

in 2019 it was July 15th the offshore areas opened up. There was size restriction of 80 cm (about 15 lb) from July 15th until August 1 and a limit of 2 in the offshore areas. This year the interim measures still have a 80cm size max, the limit limit dropped to one until August 1st offshore due to the slide concerns. Inside areas were open all season 2 per day no size limit, hatchery or wild.

Much appreciated, I’m really excited about getting out there this year. I’ve tried the past two seasons but for one reason or another I haven’t been able to. How far offshore do I have to go to find some Hali? Is there any ling or rockfish hot spots inside?

thanks again.

Much appreciated, I’m really excited about getting out there this year. I’ve tried the past two seasons but for one reason or another I haven’t been able to. How far offshore do I have to go to find some Hali? Is there any ling or rockfish hot spots inside?

thanks again.
In general you are looking for structure, pinnacles that come up off the flat sandy bottom. The Halibut will feed on or around that structure. I am not familiar with Barkley spots, I own a Lodge in Esperanza Inlet further north. We are usually going anywhere from 3 miles out to 12 for halibut. Maybe someone here will give you more details on this area. People are sometimes pretty tight lipped about their Hali spots though!

In general you are looking for structure, pinnacles that come up off the flat sandy bottom. The Halibut will feed on or around that structure. I am not familiar with Barkley spots, I own a Lodge in Esperanza Inlet further north. We are usually going anywhere from 3 miles out to 12 for halibut. Maybe someone here will give you more details on this area. People are sometimes pretty tight lipped about their Hali spots though!

Thanks. Ya I thought it might be a shot in the dark but I don’t need gps spots just ideas.

Thanks. Ya I thought it might be a shot in the dark but I don’t need gps spots just ideas.
Offshore is best if possible. If you can’t get offshore your best bet would be to target Lings in the Sound. You will still have the chance at getting a halibut and end up taking home more meat I’m sure.

Made it to the nook. Great run up down the inlet. Out fishing off diplock, nothing yet. Not much for bait on the sounder. Looks like we’ll be doing a bit of traveling around to find the fish. It’s a great afternoon on the water.

Back