Prawn puller question

Anyone ever used a puller from a company in Nanaimo called prawnstar? Specifically looking at their MANO handsfree puller. Advice before purchase would be appreciated.

THanks

My mom told me not to talk to ******............

:D

Not familiar with it but I see that Scotty has a prawn puller that fits right onto your Scotty downrigger mount and is powered by your Scotty electrical. Pretty compact and much less expensive (half the price) than other prawn pullers on the market plus no need to mount/wire onto your boat. Picked one up at the boat show from Steveston Marine. Haven't tried it yet but hopefully will work well.

Hey Carpe let us know how it works. My neighbour has a 28ft cruising boat that he wants to put a prawn puller on, but it needs to stow very small ( and not mess up his shiny gelcoat!)-- that looks like an idea puller for him, if it works well.

a contact at Steveston has said they have sold "Tons" of the Scotty Pullers, with no returns. They also have the longest warranty of pullers @ 2 years. I was told it will labour with 4 traps to a string but does 2 with a forward weight quite easily. It is not hands free as it is a capstan style puller but as mentioned it is small and fairly light at 14lbs. After the good things I've heard I am considering it for my boat.

I have had the Ace puller for years and it has been a good product. I have dealt with Ace directly for repair issues and there was never a problem. A great company.
I have also been using the Scotty puller for a few pulls now. It is compact, plenty of power for pulling 2 traps and it will pull 4. Yesterday I pulled in a big swell and the puller will stall out. Ace does this as well. Swell was 6 meters off shore! The short boom, down low, makes it hard to see weights, traps when coming up and they will hit the end of the pulley. The pulley doe not swivil at the end of the boom and the line will jump off when you pull at an angle in the tide and wind. I over came this by backing into the wind with my kicker. Make sure you have a high transome if doing this, and always use your kicker so there is no chance of wrapping rope in you mains prop.
Both are a good when used the way they are supposed to be used. I tend to abuse my gear in the wind and swell herein the winter but on calm seas these pullers are great.
Too bad the prawning sucks in Barkley this year. Lets hope the commercials will not get to wipe them out again this year.

4 traps per string is a lot of load you guys who do this do you follow the regs and place a float at each end of the string as required? I did 3 per line then I learned any more then 2 and you need a float at each end of the string. Not worth the hassle to me to deal with 2 floats per string plus the extra load pulling its easier to just drop 2 strings.

Great info, thanks Bod

4 traps per string is a lot of load you guys who do this do you follow the regs and place a float at each end of the string as required? I did 3 per line then I learned any more then 2 and you need a float at each end of the string. Not worth the hassle to me to deal with 2 floats per string plus the extra load pulling its easier to just drop 2 strings.

You are right. 4 traps per string is a lot to deal with and if they ever drift and your 2 bouy lines tangle you have got a real mess. I have pulled stumps, trees, metal, and lost traps off the bottom and severly over loaded the Ace puller and I don't think this helps the motor when it stalls. I haven't had to do this with the Scotty yet. In time we will see.

I heard Wise-Buys in Colwood is getting the Scotty's in and putting them on sale for $360 and that includes the $35 carry bag but they are only getting 4.

I've used the Ace and the Scotty. I would say the Ace is way better. It pulls your traps right out of the water and off of the sides of your boat. Also when you move around out there and your line comes off on the side of your puller the Ace has no issues with that. The Scotty has a short arm with no pivot at the end so if your boat moves around while your pulling your rope will pop off the end. When your traps come to the surface they are way closer to the sides of your boat and hit or mark way more then the Ace. You are bent over more to retrieve your traps once at the surface with the Scotty.

The current Scotty line puller end DOES PIVOT. See the included image.
Stosh

Attachments

• 2DA72A12-F801-4798-ACB4-3C92DA740934.png
    2DA72A12-F801-4798-ACB4-3C92DA740934.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
A friend of mine had the big kahuna puller it was decent but not as quick or as user friendly as the Brutus +40

Brutus with the bulldog hands free is one of the best recreational pullers on the market IMO

Ace line Max torque hands free all the way, i had the scotty before which was great for the compactness of it, i do miss it some days for the low profile and ease of set up..

Having the hands free and way more speed is a game changer, traps come high out of the water, spot the weights right away before the hit the pulley
heard of some guys plugging the max torque into there down rigger plug, not enough power, needs 10 gauge to make that thing run at
it's full torque power...

What’s the difference between the plus 40 and max torque. I have the plus forty and was thinking of up grading

Ace line Max torque hands free all the way, i had the scotty before which was great for the compactness of it, i do miss it some days for the low profile and ease of set up..

Having the hands free and way more speed is a game changer, traps come high out of the water, spot the weights right away before the hit the pulley
heard of some guys plugging the max torque into there down rigger plug, not enough power, needs 10 gauge to make that thing run at
it's full torque power...

Oh I like the ace with the hands free, and my wiring is as above. She just likes to eat 30A fuses. I have a collection of spares though.

Back