Cold Smoking Tuna

IronNoggin

I know I initiated another thread on this topic, but thought I'd run a stand-alone of the process - as much for my own future reference as anything else...

Partially thaw said Tuna: - it is easier to loin when it is still fairly stiff deep inside:

K5GfegE.jpg

Rip the hide, and yes, Rum Required for this entire process!

5E2pubp.jpg

Loin & remove brown meat:

RoyFfnL.jpg

Mix well 4 parts demerara sugar with 3 parts coarse salt (I like Sea Salt for this) and layer around 1/2 inch deep in bottom of tote. Toss in loins:

fCL9Zul.jpg

Smother loins with mix:

9P4c7qn.jpg

Cold enough outside this next step likely wasn't necessary, but I tossed bags of ice on each tote after they were stuffed into the big stainless smoker (no room for such in our fridge):

nEZh4MX.jpg

Shut the doors and let sit overnight.

This thread will be continued as the process develops...

Cheers

Took overnight and then some to get to this desirable stage.
The dry brine is "dry" no more, and it is easy to see just how much moisture it has sucked out of the loins.
The loins themselves have changed both in color and consistency.

pLQDd7l.jpg

gaXJvQm.jpg

Next up: the Wet Brine process...

Wet Brine:

3 gallons (Canadian thank you very much) of water
4 cups Sea Salt
5 cups demerara sugar
2.5 cups real maple syrup
1 bag peppercorns
A decent handful of chopped dill.

Should mix this a fair bit before you need. it so it can settle.
Test run by dropping a fresh raw egg into the mix:

cPDxg5n.jpg

She floats, all good- Carry on...
If not, a smidgen more salt, whip into a frenzy, and re-try until it does.

Toss the loins in - no need to rinse.

NgEhISr.jpg

Now about as fascinating as watching paint dry.
Stir occasionally through the eve.
Let percolate.

Tomorrow desalination, onto prepped grills, and begin the glaze process (if all goes well...)

Cheers,
Nog

So I have to ask, what's the theory on the two types of brine?

So I have to ask, what's the theory on the two types of brine?

Saturation and Consistency.
You will see a rather startling change in the latter between each step.
Just checked them and they are damn close to desalination time.
And look one hell of a lot different than when they went into the wet brine.

The double brine got me at first too. I think Mitch and I sourced the same Professionals back when, as we both developed a very similar two brine system.
Then I recall the one Master Chef (who specializes in various types of Lox) stating that this was the most consistent method to turn out an excellent product.
I now believe him.

Cheers,
Nog

Saturation and Consistency.
You will see a rather startling change in the latter between each step.
Just checked them and they are damn close to desalination time.
And look one hell of a lot different than when they went into the wet brine.

The double brine got me at first too. I think Mitch and I sourced the same Professionals back when, as we both developed a very similar two brine system.
Then I recall the one Master Chef (who specializes in various types of Lox) stating that this was the most consistent method to turn out an excellent product.
I now believe him.

Cheers,
Nog
Awesome. I usually tend to simplify recipes and truly try and understand the why more than the how. That being said after perfecting fried chicken and montreal smoked meat I've learned that simpler isn't always better. Looking forward to next steps. I have 4 loins in the freezer saved for this :)

Nog, do you freeze all your tuna whole? Why not process it and seal up smaller pieces?

They came out of the wet brine earlier today.
Big changes in both color and consistency! They swelled back up quite a bit!

cyxGtb9.jpg

So, onto one of the most fussy and critical steps - Desalination.
I prefer to have a LOT of water surrounding the loins at this point, and to keep a slow but steady flow of fresh water into their domain:

7XUvPj0.jpg

otzt7R0.jpg

If you take your drain cap off your cooler, you can replace it with a large soft drink cap.
Drill a small hole in the center of that so you have flow both top and bottom:

0ZuDQEI.jpg

Having too much Tuna is never an issue if you know how to deal with it.
And I don't see a lot of point in repeating the process when one good run will do...

weexhHo.jpg

u27AnIZ.jpg

The ones on the uphill side will freshen just a tad sooner than those on the downhill.
Move the latter into the bigger tank while you pat dry the first lot and get ready for the grills.
By the time you've accomplished that, the other should be ready.

Move the loins around in the fresh water every 10 minutes or so, and keep a damn careful eye on them!
Too little, the salt will be overbearing.
Too much, and they become non-recoverable mush!!

I do the double taste test - nip a little off a couple differing loins (should slice very thinly with a sharp knife).
Taste. You will know it when you realize what you are looking for...

This lot is now off to the grills, glaze and fans.
Back atcha when able...

Cheers,
Nog

After about and hour and a half, the loins began to look a little washed out (don't worry - this is normal and will soon be rectified).

YSBOVl9.jpg

Thin Slice & Taste Test said: Good To Go!

3DXiQdK.jpg

Funny thing about that picture - left it up on the phone while I transferred the rest of the fish to totes, then turned, saw this, and actually tried to pick it up and eat it. LOL Yummy already!

Then, onto the racks to dry:

M8PfwVZ.jpg

These dried very quickly - as in an hour after hitting the racks with NO fans, they were already crying for the Glaze!

CzsHLfg.jpg

Took advantage of that hour to prep the glaze itself. nearly 1/2 Maple Syrup, a shot of Rum Extract and top off with Black Bacardi:

3oT8eac.jpg

And apply:

uhZ3to5.jpg

It sucked the first application up within 45 minutes, so got hit again.
Already you can see a color transformation as they darken from the glaze.
Normally I would have hit the fans at this point.
But with dark rapidly buzzarding in, temps into the minuses overnight, and the way these were already sucking up the brine I decided to leave them overnight without the fans. My Buddy hit them with the glaze again at midnight and said "Looking Good".

Today they get rolled around, glazed again, and finished drying with the fans on...

As expected, the loins sucked up the glaze some, leaving just enough on the surface to give them that classic Glassy finish.
Dry to the touch, they are ready for the smoker...

XrxPU9i.jpg

Yet another fine color / consistency change - beginning to look downright appealing!

Rv7Zb10.jpg

Load 'em up:

pWRCgwJ.jpg

And pour the cold smoke to them:

BH54xNk.jpg

Ambient air temperature is three degrees. No heat transfer into the smoker. Excellent conditions...

See ya in a few hours...
Nog

My mouth is watering lol,, would love a taste,, maybe some day.

Really enjoyed the process Nog thanks again for the tutorial.

I recognize that this is an old thread but was hoping that Nog or someone else who may know sees it can answer a question about the process. How long was the cold smoke, approx what temperature (I know that too high of a temp will ruin a batch of salmon lox) , and any thoughts on wood chip flavour?

I recognize that this is an old thread but was hoping that Nog or someone else who may know sees it can answer a question about the process. How long was the cold smoke, approx what temperature (I know that too high of a temp will ruin a batch of salmon lox) , and any thoughts on wood chip flavour?

Ambient air temp was 3 degrees. It did not get much above 5 or 6 degrees in the smoker (the why as to when I do this run).
You could go somewhat warmer, but I prefer a true cold smoke. If you did go warmer, smoking time would have to be cut back IMO.
Smoked for 8 - 10 hours.
Combination of alder & apple (one puck of apple followed by one of alder - rinse & repeat).

Cheer,
Nog

Last edited:
Nog-- what happens if the wet brine is not used ? I dry brine salmon and it doesn't need a second wet process. Comments ? ( I dont have a cold smoker)

Back