Sooke to Barkley Sound

Nugget

Hey guys! Myself and a couple mates will be fishing out of Sooke for 3-4 days in August then have 4 nights booked in bamfield right after.

We are in a 17.5ft double eagle with a new 115hp and I was hoping to drive the boat from Sooke - Bamfield if the winds are low....rather than trailering the boat to port alberni and launching it. A friend would drop the boat trailer off at China Creek then drive the truck to bamfield.

Anyone ever done this journey by water? Thoughts?

Cheers

Have done it in 2 legs. Sooke to Renfrew fished all the way. Fished Sooke for morning fish and Renfrew for the night bite. Then fished Swiftsure and then on to Bamfield. Buddy's dad Drove the truck and camper and trailer up for us and his wife picked up Dad in Bamfield and drove him home. Worked out great, you'll probably have to stop in Renfrew for fuel anyways. Its about 60-70 nautical miles if I remember. We planned all are times on out going tides and watched the weather. I also had radar on that boat. Very doable, we went the first 2 weeks of august. Nice too that camp was all setup when we pulled in to camp.

If there is 3 of you take turns driving the next leg. Everyone gets to fish and take there turn driving. Plus your boat you get to fish the whole time. Lol

That's too small of boat. Your better to drive to alberni and launch. Your asking for it if weather turns.

I agree too much to rely on perfect weather for 3 guys and all your gear in a 17' boat going that distance on the west coast... Not putting the odds in your favor. Weather can turn very quickly and there isn't a lot of safe refuge once you get going between harbor's.

Sooke to Renfrew no problem if you pick a calm morning. Renfrew to Bamfield only if you have very stable calm weather. Problem is you may get stuck in Bamtown if the weather turns while you are there.

Boat is definitely too small. Trailer to China creek and run down to Bamfield early in the morning

I dont get the whole trailer to China creek thing, 10km stretch of real ****** road why not just launch in aberni and park for free? Also on the original topic, I wouldn't want to attempt that journey in a 17ft boat

17.5 DE Boat, Renny to Bamfield. This is completely doable. Don't let anyone tell you differently. HOWEVER, you'll need to have some experience in: understanding weather patterns, knowing your boats limits and navigating in (potentially) adverse conditions. Also, a chart plotter and radar would be extremely beneficial for this voyage. Plan accordingly and this will be a great trip! There are terrific fishing and surf spots all along the way. Have a good time! Just a reminder; ask more questions if you are unsure and don't be afraid to cancel if things don't line up.
Pastafarian

I can’t speak to the stretch from Renfrew to Bamfield, which I have never tried and is a lot more open to the vast Pacific than Sooke to Renfrew. However, last August I ran from Sooke to Renfrew and back on a flat calm day. Caught a big one at Cullite Creek. 18 foot Hourston and trip was entirely uneventful and really pleasant. But it was a perfect weather day, otherwise I wouldn’t have tried it. I think the Sooke to Renfrew leg is easily and frequently done on such days.

Fishtank
Here’s why I launched at China Creek (taking it slow on the 10k’s of logging road);
Fuel dock
Salt ice available
Restaurant
Secure parking
No conflict with nets in the river (depending on time of year)

These "how small a boat" conversations are idiotic and down right irresponsible. You could paddle board to Alaska in perfect conditions, what the hell does that matter when **** hits the fan?! Do what you want solo but please don't risk your friends lives based on some intel you got from a fishing forum.

Like rain city said.there is a reason the west coast trail is there and has been extended from pt.renfrue to sooke and is knowen as the graveyard of the coast.There are hundreds of ship wrecks in the area you wish to travel.lord hates a coward and fools seldom differ.

These "how small a boat" conversations are idiotic and down right irresponsible. You could paddle board to Alaska in perfect conditions, what the hell does that matter when **** hits the fan?! Do what you want solo but please don't risk your friends lives based on some intel you got from a fishing forum.
Like that guy last year that went tuna fishing in a completely open CC whaler. The size of the balls on that guy hahaha

Like rain city said.there is a reason the west coast trail is there and has been extended from pt.renfrue to sooke and is knowen as the graveyard of the coast.There are hundreds of ship wrecks in the area you wish to travel.lord hates a coward and fools seldom differ.

You and Rain City engage in ridiculous overgeneralization. No one is suggesting paddle boarding to Alaska and the fact that many ships were lost in JDF Strait is of no real value other than to suggest the obvious fact that it can be a dangerous place. Clearly many people can and do make trips in the areas we are talking about (and they even survive). Doing so safely will depend on weather, size and seaworthiness of boat, and a bunch of other factors. Leaving your house and driving a car down a highway exposes you to some very substantial risks of harm, but lots of people screw up the courage to do so. And many survive.

In my opinion, seriously bad idea. 75 nautical miles marina to marina mostly in open water. Four hours minimum on a flat water day in a boat loaded with all your gear and 3 guys, and one motor. Even a brand new motor can fail ( bad gas, clogged fuel filters, etc.) The weather can change a lot in those 4 hours. The truck and trailer are already going to Port Alberni so why even take the risk? Leave the boat on the trailer and launch in Alberni.

I have gone many times from PR to Nitinat lake entrance. It is about half way to Barkley usually early in the morning . Many of those times the swells around Carmana light house are huge - 10' or more. I have a 23' Grady and have had the crap beat out of me getting there. It was not possible to be on plane. If you encountered that and had to turn back, what effect does it have on the remainder of your trip plans? Just asking. A friend in a 17' Arima turned back a lot of the time.

You and Rain City engage in ridiculous overgeneralization. No one is suggesting paddle boarding to Alaska and the fact that many ships were lost in JDF Strait is of no real value other than to suggest the obvious fact that it can be a dangerous place. Clearly many people can and do make trips in the areas we are talking about (and they even survive). Doing so safely will depend on weather, size and seaworthiness of boat, and a bunch of other factors. Leaving your house and driving a car down a highway exposes you to some very substantial risks of harm, but lots of people screw up the courage to do so. And many survive.
I think a paddle board would be the safest way to travel as you could pull it up on the beach and wait it out. but as you might be suggesting "don't let fear and common sence hold you back"

I did the trip last August from Victoria to Bamfield in my 30 Commander. Weather report was good and wave height ok.
However as soon as we turned the corner at Race Rocks we hit fog. We did not see land for 5 hours until we turned the corner into Bamfield. We had to dodge fishing boats the whole way. Pedder, Sooke, Renfrew, Nitnat. Unlike some other boats that race through the fleet, as soon as we saw a close target we slowed down until we made visual contact and then continued on.
It’s is very exhausting keeping and eye on the radar, charplotter and water for that long. Plus you start seeing things in the fog. Freighters, islands, Krakens etc.
Its a great feeling to make it safe and we had an awesome week of fishing. Coming back is much easier with the waves and we made it from Bamfield to North Van in 6 1/2 hours.
So would not even consider without radar and multiple GPS’s never mind the size of boat. There is no cell service out there and your vhf is only good for about 10 miles.

Back