2020 Chinook

Alaskan preseason troll treaty harvest allocation for 2020 is 148,500 Chinook salmon, 47,200 fish higher than the preseason limit available in 2019:
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/dcfnewsrelease/1133944615.pdf

Indeed. When Wilkinson announced the rollbacks here last year, the Alaskans gleefully picked up the slack. Under the terms of the Salmon Treaty should one party not utilize their assigned "quota" the other may. And they did. And they will continue to do so. Period.

Nog

Cast you mind back a few years when Harper was PM. There were no national unity issues, either with the West or Quebec. Our budgets were balanced. The country was not paralyzed by protests. Economic migrants weren't walking across the border into Canada. The biggest scandal in a decade was Harper making a senator pay back his expenses. Harper did not spend his days touring the world giving away your tax money to dictators in an attempt to win a pointless, temporary UN seat that we won't get anyway. Maybe Harper wasn't "touchy feely" but there was a definite sense that the adults were in charge.

The Star and the Guardian,, man you have to start to read non fiction news,, no seriously I mean it. A person loses all credibility when they post up stuff from places like this, it’s a joke.

Had a dream last night about what Chinook regs were this upcoming year. More like a nightmare. Let’s hope I’m not psychic. Hahaha

I doubt I am salmon fishing this year. Hope I am wrong, but I sort of knew that when Trudeau got back in.

I just called off a trip to Malcolm in August, and will hold back on working on boat this year. My hopes of fishing the southern JDF I think our slim, and think it will be up North on a trip if it is open.

Getting tired of the NGO movement to be honest, and misinformed public. Just look at the protests last few days.

Yah I don’t know what to do either. They sure put people in a tough position I’ll tell you, can’t imagine what it’s like being in the hotel or lodge or marina business, what a nightmare. I usually book all my rooms and slips this time of year but I just don’t know. I think I’m going to book my slip anyways, it’s always easier to cancel than to book later. Rooms I will wait for a bit and take my chances I guess.

Any idea guys when to expect the dreaded news for this year, or do you think they will leave people in limbo and drag it out.

Any idea guys when to expect the dreaded news for this year, or do you think they will leave people in limbo and drag it out.

They usually wait till a few weeks into April to cash in on the eager beavers (like me) who buy licenses right away.

The SFI newsletter today sure seemed surprisingly optimistic at the chance of marked selective fisheries in some, not all, areas that were closed last year.

Not many hatcheries mark even close to all their fish as their budgets can't afford it. Maybe the big ones with substantial funding but the line share of hatcheries are run on a shoe string budget unfortunately, the workers are passionate about salmon pouring their heart and lots of free time into it.

Looks like they plan on implementing last years regs but earlier. April 1, That sucks was hoping to get out in april again like last year. Last year it was implemented april 18th ish i believe. Looks like ill have to try to get out next month.

As for the adjustments I would imagine the squeakiest wheel will get the grease. So I would encourage everyone to take part in the process.

FRASER RIVER CHINOOK CONSERVATION CONCERNS: This section of the IFMP outlines conservation measures for Fraser River Chinook that were implemented in the 2019 fishery. The Department intends to implement management measures that were announced for the 2019 season beginning April 1st, 2020 as interim measures to provide time for a technical review of the 2019 fishery management measures and completion of consultations on possible adjustments to these management measures. The Department is seeking feedback from First Nations and established advisory groups on potential adjustments to 2019 management measures that should be considered for 2020/21. The final IFMP will be updated to reflect final approved measures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lpcxy7jprrz4yf6/AADHgO78wMqcJy-N2WUFnGH_a?dl=0

The Department has released the 2020-21 draft Northern and Southern BC Salmon
Integrated Fishery Management Plans (IFMPs) for comment.

Deadline for submission of comments is April 15, 2020.

To obtain an electronic copy for review, please click the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lpcxy7jprrz4yf6/AADHgO78wMqcJy-N2WUFnGH_a?dl=0

The draft IFMPs set out the policy framework that guides decision making,
general objectives relating to management of stocks of concern, enhancement and
enforcement, as well as decision guidelines for a range of fisheries.

Section 13 of the IFMPs outline the Species Specific Fishing Plans, which
describe fisheries plans for each of the salmon species and the management
units and major fishery areas for each species. This section includes the
relevant information on management approach, decision guidelines and specific
management measures, as well as, information related to First Nations,
commercial and recreational fishing plans for each fishery.

During March and April, the Department will be meeting with First Nations and
recreational, commercial and environmental groups to seek further feedback on
the draft IFMPs as part of the IFMP consultation process.

Comments may be provided in writing via email to the DFO Pacific Salmon
Management Team at
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

DFO Pacific Salmon Management Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0164
Sent February 26, 2020 at 1516

Last edited:
So, that’s it?
It’s all over?
No discussions, no fighting this?