Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Training Course

Has anyone recently completed the SVOP course in the lower mainland? If so, may you please recommend which company you went with and where they are located. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I found my bud out of sooke many years ago.Noww???I went bud taverns (pun for JT) .so choose wisemen as a proctor for your test results.I admire your courage if in fact you are thinking of takeing others out in a boat.power sail squad will direct you, and for youth ask them to apply to CF.for a couple years to make referances.god speed lin ze, or sum O ne.

I found my bud out of sooke many years ago.Noww???I went bud taverns (pun for JT) .so choose wisemen as a proctor for your test results.I admire your courage if in fact you are thinking of takeing others out in a boat.power sail squad will direct you, and for youth ask them to apply to CF.for a couple years to make referances.god speed lin ze, or sum O ne.
Huh?

What's happening to Fish Camp???

I just signed up for all 4 courses back to back at North Island College. They seam to have it together, run course each spring months @$1200 I will need for whale watching guide? Not sure how long fishing guide will be a viable trade, part of my retraining package and I am looking for something to fill some time in retirement.

Datum Marine offers same courses in Richmond.

HM

Has anyone recently completed the SVOP course in the lower mainland? If so, may you please recommend which company you went with and where they are located. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Do you want the SVOP for working from your boat or someone else's or is it the pleasure craft license you are after? The SVOP usually goes together with the ROC-M (Radio) and SDV-BS (the old MED3) and marine first aid. Lands End Marine Training used to do courses in Vancouver but I think they are only on the Sunshine Coast now but you'd have to call them to find that out for sure. And QuickNav Marine Training does courses in North Vancouver.

Do you want the SVOP for working from your boat or someone else's or is it the pleasure craft license you are after? The SVOP usually goes together with the ROC-M (Radio) and SDV-BS (the old MED3) and marine first aid. Lands End Marine Training used to do courses in Vancouver but I think they are only on the Sunshine Coast now but you'd have to call them to find that out for sure. And QuickNav Marine Training does courses in North Vancouver.

Thanks for the information...I am wanting to complete all the courses you mentioned so I can eventually become a fishing guide from my boat or someone else’s.

Thanks for the information...I am wanting to complete all the courses you mentioned so I can eventually become a fishing guide from my boat or someone else’s.
There's different categories for certifications depending on size of vessel/tonnage and how far off shore you will be working etc but if you are just going to be on the coast with a smaller vessel the SVOP and the other courses should be adequate for what you are after. For the marine medical you will have to usually go to a different company for that. St. John's Ambulance or Red Cross or there's some others too that offer it. You will need a more in depth safety equipment list/requirements on your boat too if operating as a charter rather than for pleasure. They will cover all that in the courses. If you'll be spending a lot of time around other commercial marine vessels I recommend laminating a list of call instructions for your VHF to communicate properly with other commercial vessels, marine traffic radio operators, coast guard, SAR's, TC, RCMP, etc. and for "passengers" to be able to use the radio effectively if you, the captain is incapacitated at any time. You'll soon find out that most "passengers" or "guests" have no idea how to use a VHF radio, even if it's only to call in a mayday in emergencies..

Excellent recommendation Chasin' Dreams While in the Navy we had those laminated lists for many tasks, radio coms included. Posted standard operating procedures (SOP's) saved the brain and memory many times. Your listed course are the 4 I speak of, NIC also offers all others up to Master levels, Tug and off shore pilotage. I liked the idea of the FA all during same timeframe by same place. I am not doing this for a career, just to be legal so I can help a buddy.

HM

Back