Barkley sound vs Esperanza or Nootka

Slabbedout

My buddy is giving me the gears to go somewhere for a multi day trip. Mostly my concern is being protected and safe, yet able to fish. I have a 16’ welded runabout so I don’t have the desire or balls to go offshore. Both of us have done trips in larger boats to Barkley and Nootka so I was considering Esperanza ( I think it may be more protected too). If we went to Barkley we would probably launch out of Ukee or Bamfield and Camp in the deer group. Nootka has camp sites and launch with not much of a run to some of the closer spots. Neither of us have been up to Esperanza so thoughts ?

We are some what flexible with when we could go but are thinking late July/ August but could go later too.

Honestly my buddy is more for the adventure and exploration and I am in charge of catching the fish so I suspect we will mostly target bottom fish, so what areas do you recommend ?

Take a look at Secret Beach Campground and Marina. Close to the Broken Group and easier to tow into than Bamfield or Moutcha Bay.
I was booked at Secret Beach for a couple weeks this August. The campground looks really nice( it’s brand new) and the mooring has 24 hour security at the dock! My stupid best friend decided to get married(again) on the same dates! had to cancel

There are lots of protected areas to fish late July and Early August in Esperanza. Rosa, Double Island, the log dump, all the way in to Steamer point should be producing fish. If its calm Pin Rocks, outer black and low rock should produce too. For halibut you usually need to go a ways off shore, want to be careful with a 16 footer. You can stay in Tahsis or zabellos. Port Eliza Lodge is close to the fishing grounds, but we are full during that time, I would guess Flynns cove is too. That's prime time in Esperanza.

There are lots of protected areas to fish late July and Early August in Esperanza. Rosa, Double Island, the log dump, all the way in to Steamer point should be producing fish. If its calm Pin Rocks, outer black and low rock should produce too. For halibut you usually need to go a ways off shore, want to be careful with a 16 footer. You can stay in Tahsis or zabellos. Port Eliza Lodge is close to the fishing grounds, but we are full during that time, I would guess Flynns cove is too. That's prime time in Esperanza.

I assume Port Eliza and Flynn’s cove book up a year in advance with return guests getting first crack for the following year ?

What’s premium time for coho inside ? Early sept ? My buddy wants to go a bit earlier or later and try to avoid the masses

I assume Port Eliza and Flynn’s cove book up a year in advance with return guests getting first crack for the following year ?

What’s premium time for coho inside ? Early sept ? My buddy wants to go a bit earlier or later and try to avoid the masses

For End of July and Early August we book up pretty fast. This being the first year of new ownership of Port Eliza we had spaces until relatively recently. Normally end of August Early September is prime time for Inside Coho. Center island area often is very good. Last year they never really showed up in numbers, the may have headed straight to the rivers with all the rain we had. The inlet clears out after the Derby weekend (week before Labour Day). There isn't a lot of pressure after that and the Lodges empty out as well.

We don't normally do bring your own food as we don't have space for guests to cook when we are busy, but in September we do just rent out rooms and guests can use the BBQs or kitchen facilities, cutlery plates etc. to make their own food. In September We rent rooms out for $250 per night (max 4 person occupancy) if you want a second one its only $50 extra. That includes your moorage and use of the kitchen facilities. We can probably rent out rooms end of August as well if we have a demand.

Sooke is awesome with less pressure than the above spots. Barkley sound is a zoo in August.

Lol and Sooke isn’t. Come on man most weekends from July to mid September you can jump from boat to boat from Shearingham to the Trap Shack and don’t tell me any different, I fished Sooke for over decade. Nothing wrong with the fishing, it’s got that but man alive it’s gotten to be a real gong show. It’s one of the reasons I stopped going and started the west side, there may be as many fisherman on the west side but they are spread out I’ve never seen anything even remotely close on the west side that compares to Sooke.

Yeah, my buddy and I both live in Vic. I have had some really good seasons out of Sooke. I suggested multiple times staying here and fishing Sooke but that is just too easy. I guess we are wanting to get away from wives and kids and spend more money than we have too.

Back