Guest Etiquette and Gifts to Host

I partnered with one of my son's on our boat and we usually go out together, so we split the costs right down the middle. He has taken out buddies and siblings a few times with nadda an offer of help or funds. We don't want the cash as we like the company, but it is not cool when you dash the minute the boat is in the driveway. IMHO most people don't understand the costs and time involved in boat ownership and they think boats run on thank-you's! This just reinforces our decision to buy a boat sized for 2, we can always say sorry boats too small.

I have never looked forward to gratuity and never recived gratuity in monatary sence.A friend is a gift you give yourself.

I had a friend that had a little sign made up and fitted on his dash that said this boat doesn't run on thank you's, myself I make it perfectly clear before we leave the dock half the gas is expected. It's a small ask, running a boat isn't cheap but in reality it shouldn't need to be stated but rather than having hard feelings latter I make it known before hand.

I told my buddy that he had to polish my boat before he comes out again. He hasn't come out since haha.

Its a joke though. I'll take him out. I usually get one of the guys to grab lunch and the other pays for the launch fee. I'll take care of gas and cleanup. I'd rather spend time cleaning and not try to rush through it.

When I go on buddies boat for long trips we split all the costs for gas/moorage/food/lodging/etc. and I help with cleanup.

On long trips I fill the truck and boat first before we leave and everything after that food, gas, moorage, etc, etc including filling both back up when we get home is spilt equally.

I mainly fish with one of two people, or both. Although I do take others throughout the year. One of the two regulars is family and co-owner of boat, so no issue. The other is a good friend.
As a past boat owner he understands what it takes to keep a boat and reliable gear going each year. I have never had to ask or worry about it. He always takes care of more than his share of fuel, and often it is all of it. He always helps me with the labour of cleaning and maintaining things throughout the year.
In addition he always seems to have extre food and drinks. Now and then if he notices a shortage in some of the little tackle stuff that we all have to keep topping up throughout the season, he will show up with some.( if he knows exactly the one I use)

To answer original question , if one is not a boat owner and trading trips, I think they should offer what they can afford towards the days expenses. No more than that would be expected I am sure.
If your friend is one that does not like to accept the gesture and refuses, then I suggest a gift card at Xmas or birthday is a good way to contribute. This could be for their marina, their chosen marine service shop if they use one, or favourite tackle shop.

Speaking for myself. With the ever rising costs of boat owning and fishing, the help is always appreciated. That said, it is your company and enjoyment of sharing the awesomeness of our playground and sport that has led me to invite you. Not the prospect of having my day payed for.
It is the mutual enjoyment of each other’s company and the events of the day, along with your respect of my stuff, and a willingness to contribute what you can that will keep you coming back.
Cheers: Ray

Last edited:
I never ask for anything as some people are less well off then others. Like Kildonan I have my cleanup routine and it's just easier to do my self. But if you do offer cash, bring a lunch, pay for the launch, bring some bait, treat my gear and boat with respect you will be invited back. If you run the gear or are at least willing to learn to run it, you will be invited back. If you are not one of these people, I hope you enjoyed yourself because that will be the last time I ask you out.

Much like Casper5280 said. Stuck with some relatives that come out twice a year and act like we’re running an all inclusive resort. And no I don’t need any red devil spoons or flashers from a winnipeg cabalas.

The old saying the only thing better than owning a boat is a friend with a boat is so true !

I mostly fish with buddy’s they have boats so we trade off and have a mutual agreement that as long as it’s not a overnight or Long haul trip that everything’s fair.

I was invited on a trip to Barkley sound years ago by a group of guys I worked with that had been doing the trip annually and had a cabin there . We ended up taking my boat / truck and I shopped for/ paid all the drinks and groceries. I swear these guys could talk but had never fished before. The trip was a complete shut show, they where getting the riggers hung up on every 2nd pass and lost most of the gear I brought but we caught fish. I ended up calling it a day early cause I had enough. They basically refused to each pay their 3rd because we had not brought home a our limits of everything in the sea and I had stayed in the cabin for free. I don’t have a desire to even talk fishing with those guys now.

I get bugged all the time from my wife’s friends and buddies at work to take them out or bring them in some fish / prawns / crab. I always suggest maybe they buy a boat / gear /gas and I will go out with them at no cost.

I get bugged all the time from my wife’s friends and buddies at work to take them out or bring them in some fish / prawns / crab. I always suggest maybe they buy a boat / gear /gas and I will go out with them at no cost.

Same story here. It’s the same with any wild meat, being asked for fish, Moose meat or Elk meat. I just tell them sure you can have some just go get it, it’s cheap and it’s easy nothing to it, trust me.

Same story here. It’s the same with any wild meat, being asked for fish, Moose meat or Elk meat. I just tell them sure you can have some just go get it, it’s cheap and it’s easy nothing to it, trust me.

Bingo , come home from a hunting trip and everyone just assumes I was off on a treasure hunt for 1000lb of pepperoni. But hey I love hunting and fishing and all the processing work that goes into it, so why not give it away

Bingo , come home from a hunting trip and everyone just assumes I was off on a treasure hunt for 1000lb of pepperoni. But hey I love hunting and fishing and all the processing work that goes into it, so why not give it away

I don't think anyone here has any issues with giving away meat or what we catch to friends or others who don't have the opportunity to eat fresh meat. I think the issues simply boils down to "respect" or a lack of respect. I would never ask anyone to pay for expenses if I was taking them out for the 1st time. However, if you are a regular guest or if you are going to be going out with me on a frequent basis, I think it should be a matter of courtesy and respect to pay your share of the costs for the day. Its funny how many people view going out for a day on the water to be different than spending a night at a chalet in a ski resort or at a cabin at the lake. All these activities are aimed at recreation and enjoyment and all these activities comes at a cost. Why does everyone without hesitation fork up their share of the expenses when you share a cabin for the weekend and pitch in for the costs of food or gas used to drive there and back..... Yet when it comes to gas and expenses for a boat it is treated any differently? The other fact that is true is that when most boat owners take out guests, the owners typically allow their guests to have most of the fun as it relates to fishing and reeling in the fish and always allow their guests to take home their share if not more than their share in the days catch. So if everyone is sharing in the experience and you get to share in the catch, why doesn't it make sense to pitch in on the costs? I can appreciate that each person may have a different perspective on this situation and some boat owners will never accept money from guests, even regular guests who go regularly with them because it's about the company. But to me that doesn't make any sense. If I go out with friends for dinner or go golfing with good friends, it's all about the company as well. I would not expect nor would I feel comfortable if a friend of mine paid for my meals or golf tee fees every single time I went. So how is boating any different. As I mentioned, it's about respect. And for those who know how much it costs to own a boat and don't chip in, they simply don't go out with me the next time. None of my friends are financially strapped so there's no excuse.

When I do a trip with a couple/few guys I tell them you guys split the fuel and I'll cover lost gear and maintenance. If they have a problem with that they just don't get invited again. For day trips the once-a-year guys get a freebie, I love entertaining and introducing fishing to people that have never done it. But if you're a "fisherman" and ask ME to go you sure as **** better be giving me at least a crisp fifty. That's a red $50 bill, I don't want your crumpled drug fives ;)

Hard to say really, depends on the social dynamic. But boats don't run on friendship. I'd say if your boat buddy has everything you need, then the folks who are guests get all costs for the day.

As a guide, well, I take a few close friends out, and save the rest of the good summer days for business.

Give what feels right, if you can't give what you think is enough, just give your thanks. Beats getting a $20 bill for a tow across the Gulf of Georgia.

When I do a trip with a couple/few guys I tell them you guys split the fuel and I'll cover lost gear and maintenance. If they have a problem with that they just don't get invited again. For day trips the once-a-year guys get a freebie, I love entertaining and introducing fishing to people that have never done it. But if you're a "fisherman" and ask ME to go you sure as **** better be giving me at least a crisp fifty. That's a red $50 bill, I don't want your crumpled drug fives ;)

I concur. It's great seeing 1st timers catch their first salmon etc.... We should never charge for the 1st outting. Let's get them hooked so that there are future sucker boat owners like us.. Lol...

But I agree, nothing worse than a free loading "fisherman" pretending to be your friend. And raincity... Even at $50 a pop that is peanuts compared to how much it costs us yearly to maintain our boats with gear replacement, insurance, maitnenance etc.

If you happen to be strapped for cash, there is always different ways to repay. Doesn't always have to be in cash. spend the day with your friend and help him out when he polishes the fiberglass or needs to do work on the boat. Show up at the end of the year with some supplies(whatever you can afford) to help out with the end of year maintenance. Or babysit your buddies kids over a weekend to give them a weekend off from the kids. The point is do something to show gratitude.

Last edited:
AND then there are the old friends from back east that ask if it’s ok if they bring a friend out fishing in my boat.
So I end up feeding, sheltering and putting a total stranger on fish (if we are lucky) - seems like work - supposed to be fun, eh! I did it a couple of times and finally put a stop to it.
Just a warning - don’t let it happen to you!
Stosh

I just like knowing i 'm in the right place with the right people at the right time with the right resourses .And if i am to lead my own craft i take responseabilaty of that craft and bettered prepared , this time again, then I better be prepared to respond .so get involved .

Totally what the butcher said think of it this way .When our group goes hunting (4 of us) we keep a tab on all expenses the 4 of us an at the end of the trip.
Each truck gets a oil change and a wax and we figure out all the totals for EVERYTHING , as we are all involved gas,food,supplies etc and the division of the meat its only FAIR, as many have stated above if your you been asked to go its a privilege respect it as that.
like others have said alot have never been asked back by me to go again id rather go by myself and then I get to keep the FISH all to myself .....ever seen the price for salmon or halibut in the store?? 10 lbs of halibut is going to cost you near 200 bucks so helping out really isnt to much to ask with all the fuel really. I can tell you im not Rich and I dont think any here are Id love to be able to say yeah come on for free but I simply cant...
AND if you dont get anything so be it there is no guarantees in life and especially fishing..... if you want that go to the store they will be more then happy to sell you 500 bucks worth of fish....

I would recommend this website for sure. My friends and I use it for our annual golf trip. Yes it requires emails and computers but my god does it make this stuff simple. It actually breaks out the split so one guy owes this guy and another guy owes that guy. All the expenses are there and visible for all to see.
https://www.kittysplit.com/en/

Easy enough to figure out what you should offer. As simple as saying to your friend in casual conversation....you know I'm thinking about getting a boat like yours one day. What do you figure it costs you to run that boat each day when you go fishing. When they give you the number you offer half on the next invite.

Great post and thoughts guys and from what I have read we all try to choose are fishing buddies with care.
On another note did something a little different which appealed to me last year on a 12 day adventure from Prince Rupert to Port McNeil. As each expense was incurred 1 individual paid that expense and the others divided their share of that expense equally right away so no one at the end was short changed.Worked for me and no one had to keep track.

With gear going missing no big deal except for lost cannon balls. Newbies get a couple of breaks, others pay their dues but it is shared equally from everyone on board. At the end of the trip, success was measured on how many cannon balls were lost.
Sometimes I wish I was a diver as I know where a few are at Camel Rock and the shelf at Fleming.Lol.

Last edited:
Back