Fallen trees sought to help restore salmon streams

I wonder if this outfit has engaged the local SEP enhancement groups in the areas for support and advice ? Just putting LWD (large woody debris) in a stream can backfire. If not properly anchored and in some cases, cabled into the bank, the addition of LWD can cause bank erosion the further degrades stream channels. There is a long history in BC and Oregon of adding LWD, and a lot of lessons were learned as to what works, and what does not. ( by the way--- there is little issue of making sure proper permits are in place from Water Management Branch, DFO Habitat Branch, Regional Districts, and land owners ) Miss any of the applicable ones and you may end up in court. My comments should not be taken as a flat out rejection of this proven method of increasing habitat for fish. It will work if done properly.. but dont just think that all it takes is a chainsaw and a few trees.

as usual - your logic and common sense is very welcome,CL :)

I wonder if this outfit has engaged the local SEP enhancement groups in the areas for support and advice ? Just putting LWD (large woody debris) in a stream can backfire. If not properly anchored and in some cases, cabled into the bank, the addition of LWD can cause bank erosion the further degrades stream channels. There is a long history in BC and Oregon of adding LWD, and a lot of lessons were learned as to what works, and what does not. ( by the way--- there is little issue of making sure proper permits are in place from Water Management Branch, DFO Habitat Branch, Regional Districts, and land owners ) Miss any of the applicable ones and you may end up in court. My comments should not be taken as a flat out rejection of this proven method of increasing habitat for fish. It will work if done properly.. but dont just think that all it takes is a chainsaw and a few trees.

https://clayoquot.org/
Central westcoast forest society is doing the aforementioned work.
They definitely know what they are doing!
Check out their site to see how they're helping to restore salmon habitat.
Pastafarian

It's still treating the symptoms while ignoring the cause

It's far easier to toss a few logs back in the river or stream then implement adequate setbacks near rivers and streams to protect the ecosystem.

It's still treating the symptoms while ignoring the cause

It's far easier to toss a few logs back in the river or stream then implement adequate setbacks near rivers and streams to protect the ecosystem.

I agree that protecting the ecosystem is the very best bet here.
But this is still a good company doing positive work for salmon habitat restoration. I applaud their work and try to support them when I can.
Pastafarian

Back