2020 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to spending another season at Telegraph, I hope we can have similar limits to last year but one way or the other there will be something to catch and good friends to sit around the campfire with.

Headed up to TC at the end of March to do some crabbing and prawning before they take the daily catch limit down in April. Hoping to hunt for some halibut if it is open by then as well. Get our place ready for another fun summer of visitors!

And east of Beaver Cove. Quaint little spot with a couple of small marinas, rustic cabins on a board walk. A small condo complex that you can rent rooms for extended vacations with full kitchens. They also have a small, new hotel that is pretty basic that overlooks the straits. The fishing can be great at times (but still decent when you are between the hot days) and the summertime weather and water conditions are generally pretty favorable. I've been going up that way for about 10 years now and it's a trip that I make a few times a year from SE Washington. Long drive, but worth it!

I was checking out the web site for the marina and it states they don’t allow boats over 25’. Where do people keep their larger boats.

I was checking out the web site for the marina and it states they don’t allow boats over 25’. Where do people keep their larger boats.
The old telegraph cove resort doesn't the new one on other side that's under a different name does. Seen many yachts and boats to 50' there.

Correct, Telegraph Cove Resorts has a marina, but is more limited in the size of the boat that they will accommodate. Mainly boats up to about 25'. Telegraph Cove Marina is the newer marina. They can accommodate a good number of boats up to the 25-30' range. A limited amount of space is available for bigger boats, but those slips are usually reserved for the summer by some of the Dockside owners.

Not sure about the day rate but I can tell you that the seasonal rate at the new marina is 3 times the price of the old one

Three times the price ??? It is however three times the facility. You are taking your life into your hands when walking on the "old" marina docks. Some one falls in every year !!!! I know....I have rescued more than one person

That is correct Busterbrown! I watch people on those docks and I fear for some of them. The TC Marina side is a much more stable experience, but there were a few people that went overboard on that side last year as well. Not due to the docks "rocking" so much as their own in attention to what they were doing. LOL Thankfully, nobody got hurt!

All that said, Gordy has been doing some work to his docks this past year. Hopefully that makes them safer and more pleasant for the users!

All I really hope for is that DFO leaves me with a reason to launch my boat this year ,

Anybody ever do any good catching winter springs up around Telegraph / Port McNeil / Malcolm Island in March and April? Thinking of dragging a line or two while letting the prawn pots soak. Maybe do a little halibut fishing if there is a season at that time as well. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Anybody ever do any good catching winter springs up around Telegraph / Port McNeil / Malcolm Island in March and April? Thinking of dragging a line or two while letting the prawn pots soak. Maybe do a little halibut fishing if there is a season at that time as well. Any pointers would be much appreciated!
BF51, I know one of the guides in McNeil and he gets a few winters when he starts scouting in April, decent Halibut then also during the good tides. I'll be up the last week of April or beginning of may to prawn also.

Well we got the word today, the TC campground will open June 1 for the permanent residents and any others who are self contained. No washrooms or laundry facilities just yet. Also the store and restaurants are also closed for now.

We were sitting on the patio having beers and someone fell off the docks. We call it rockin walkin haha

Three times the price ??? It is however three times the facility. You are taking your life into your hands when walking on the "old" marina docks. Some one falls in every year !!!! I know....I have rescued more than one person[/QUOTE

Are we anticipating an update to the regs (specifically to the chinook non-retention) for July? We have a trip booked for the 3rd week of July and may cancel if there aren’t any changes. Too bad to see Sunds isn’t opening this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back