Will SOG be open 2020?

I think a lot pf guys are like me--sold my big boat last fall and won't even look til I see what the season is. May truly be the end for me--but I've had a good run!! Feel sorry for the guys that depend on the rec fishery. You get the gov't and rules you vote in!

lol ... are you saying you don't know when the Sport Fishery opened.
Aug. 1 off Renfrew. No need to debate the Chinook opening dates for Sports vs. Commercial on this thread

No I honestly don't know when things opened up but I suspected it was earlier than Aug 20th. I got tired of all the DFO, free the whales save the natives BS and switched to trout fishing. At least I know when it is open, what the boundaries and restrictions are and how many I can keep if I so choose. I have been pleasantly surprised at just how enjoyable trout fishing can be.

I only pointed out the commie vs sportie aspect as I get tired of everyone placing all the blame on the commie sector. From what I can see, right now there is only one group that is coming out ahead in their dealings with DFO, it is not the sporties and it is not the commies.

I only pointed out the commie vs sportie aspect as I get tired of everyone placing all the blame on the commie sector. From what I can see, right now there is only one group that is coming out ahead in their dealings with DFO, it is not the sporties and it is not the commies.
All true. The trollers were restricted to Aug 20 and are being told not much chance of a fishery this year. Even the coho fishery may be closed as they do release chinooks during that fishery. The south coast seines/gillnets didn’t have an opening. As for Yellow eye the commercial TAC was cut from 200+ tons to 50. That includes all fleets and science allocations. Don’t forget everyone of those YE are logged, validated at the dock and have no less than 3 pictures taken of them with the EM system. That is why we are allowed to retain a few because we are 100% monitored and accountable. And as for lobbiest that’s a joke. I sit on many different boards for many fisheries and we don’t have a single lobbiest in Ottawa.

Our commercials guys got screwed!
Oddly enough though we had one of the biggest returns to the mouth of the Fraser of South Thompson Chinook. Obvioulsy most of the run went missing once in the Fraser.

And how much did the Alaskan trollers take?

Maybe it’s time for our tackle stores, multimedia voices or any other hub for anglers to start getting a defence fund going so we can bring lawsuits or some other form of pressure for the rec guys to fight back. I would hope that any anglers going into a tackle store would be able to kick a few bucks up to help the cause!

Last edited:
Was told many trollers didn’t even bother fishing after aug 20 last year anyway. As too late. True or? So even if they opened it again aug 20 this year would it even be utilized ?

Was told many trollers didn’t even bother fishing after aug 20 last year anyway. As too late. True or? So even if they opened it again aug 20 this year would it even be utilized ?
I don’t have the number of participants. The troll fishery is on quota so some may have stayed home. That being said all the local trollers in Comox and CR participated as well as Prince Rupert.

2019 WCVI Chinook catch was a total of 66,991, of which Rec was 35,418, Commercial Area G Troll was 23,195 and FN made up the rest - very small number.

2018 Area G Troll was 19,156, in 2017 was 47,534, in 2016 was 49,119, in 2015 was 54,338, in 2014 was 110,005 and in 2013 was 35,393. Looking at the numbers of fish over these seasons, its hard to imagine how anyone can make an actual living with so few fish. At $13 a pound I recon the overall value is less than $3 million if they sold direct as filets to the end-user as opposed to selling to the processor or salmon buyer. Not a lot of cash really, I don't know how they survive.

2019 WCVI Chinook catch was a total of 66,991, of which Rec was 35,418, Commercial Area G Troll was 23,195 and FN made up the rest - very small number.

2018 Area G Troll was 19,156, in 2017 was 47,534, in 2016 was 49,119, in 2015 was 54,338, in 2014 was 110,005 and in 2013 was 35,393. Looking at the numbers of fish over these seasons, its hard to imagine how anyone can make an actual living with so few fish. At $13 a pound I recon the overall value is less than $3 million if they sold direct as filets to the end-user as opposed to selling to the processor or salmon buyer. Not a lot of cash really, I don't know how they survive.

Crazy how much that fluctuates

The ones that do okay are multiple licence holders. 2019 apparently was the worst commercial year on record since 1951

upload_2020-1-17_19-33-46.png
upload_2020-1-17_19-34-12.png

upload_2020-1-17_19-34-49.png
upload_2020-1-17_19-35-31.png

upload_2020-1-17_19-35-56.png
upload_2020-1-17_19-36-25.png

I dont know where he gets his information but Westview Marina in Tahsis is advertising to their clients that that 2020 is likely going to have fewer restrictions in area 25/125, that the offshore area is likely going to be open before july 15 for chinook, maybe with a size restriction. I have a hard time believing that those decisions have been made, or that DFO is letting them out this early. We tell clients we expect the same as last year. Just wishful thinking on their part?

I dont know where he gets his information but Westview Marina in Tahsis is advertising to their clients that that 2020 is likely going to have fewer restrictions in area 25/125, that the offshore area is likely going to be open before july 15 for chinook, maybe with a size restriction. I have a hard time believing that those decisions have been made, or that DFO is letting them out this early. We tell clients we expect the same as last year. Just wishful thinking on their part?

Yeah I think it’s wrong to miss lead costumers like that.

I’m sure lots of areas in their Sfac meetings asked for different restrictions and I’m Sure the SFAB after there upcoming meeting will put a proposal together but all indications this far is it will be similar to last year if not more restrictive in some areas like the SOG.

There is a lot of lobby power for the WCVI so if they were to relax the measures I’m sure WCVI offshore would be one of the first areas to get that treatment.

I’m sure our reps will do everything in their power to get a hatchery fishery but jury is still out of dfo or the new minister will even entertain that.

They can’t just open the rec fishery they would also have to open area g troll, area f troll and the five nations off shore fishery too. They would probably also have to open in river Fraser fsc open earlier too.

Ya. Rec has priority above commie for Chinook so troll wouldn’t have to be. fsc would though. The 5 nations anyway

Did we loose that priority for 2020 as part of the newly updated salmon allocation policy? Seem to recall talk of this. Maybe?

Last edited:
No one has an inside track this year sorry to say. I hear this every year. I know it is tough but we wont know until April probably...

I would be prepared for anything in whatever area. I wouldn't say any area is safe ever.

Last edited:
No one has an inside track this year sorry to say. I hear this every year. I know it is tough but we wont know until April probably...

I would be prepared for anything in whatever area. I wouldn't say any area is safe ever.
I agree-wait til the other shoe drops or the fat lady sings-whatever your choice of sayings is/are

Back