Fish Processing or Drop-off Locations on North Island

Pudsey

Does anyone know of any facilities on the north Island between Campbell River and Port Hardy where you can deliver your catch for processing or freezing for later pickup? I am thinking of fishing in the lower Queen Charlotte Strait, Broughton Archipelago and Knight Inlet area and would like to be able to bring fish to some place on Vancouver Island for processing or just freezing for later pickup. I know that Port Hardy and Campbell River both have such facilities but is there anywhere in between? Preferably in the Port McNeill area.

Not aware of any processing facilities in McNeill. Hardy Buoys Seafoods is probably the closest place in Port Hardy.

Port Hardy has the only licence place to process your fish, Hardy Buoys Smoked Fish. They custom cut, vacuum seal and freeze your catch, you can leave it there as long as you like or you can have it shipped (extra cost)

They do fantastic work, have been using them for over 10 years for all my guests, you will not be disappointed.

Hardy is a quick 25-30 minute drive from McNeil

Good luck

Remember that possession limits still apply to Fish that you have dropped off at a Processor. This does not re set your limit. The fish count as in your possession until they arrive at your place of residence. Also, when you pick up the processed fish, you will need receipts and documentation from the processor and again, cant be over your possession limit.

G

Remember that possession limits still apply to Fish that you have dropped off at a Processor. This does not re set your limit. The fish count as in your possession until they arrive at your place of residence. Also, when you pick up the processed fish, you will need receipts and documentation from the processor and again, cant be over your possession limit.

G
You mean you can't just dump your limit off and keep going all summer?

When picking up fish from Hardy Buoys they will provide you with “travel papers” documenting all the fish you have with you.

They are a first class facility and make it really quite easy, drop fish off, tell them how you want it cut, its vacuum sealed, frozen and packaged up for travel if needed

Just let them know when you want to pick it up and they will have it out and ready for you.

Been using them myself and for my clients for over 10 years, always great product and service.

G
And remember your ordinary residence as defined by the fisheries act is: "A residential dwelling where a person normally lives - a motor home at a campsite or a vessel at a marina is not considered to be an ordinary residence."

G
How are possession limits applied if you have your catch processed into smoked chunks? How many "chunks" equal one fish?

How are possession limits applied if you have your catch processed into smokedhar chunks? How many "chunks" equal one fish?

I assume it works the same as hunting. If you take a cow moose shot under LEH to a butcher for processing while away on hunting trip it is irrelevant how many packages of burger or roasts you have returned to you but rather the documentation from the butcher that indicates that they processed and returned x lbs of meat to you, often flash frozen from a cow moose. They charge by the pound so you should have receipts for that. If you went through a CO check point on the way home and had noticeably more than that in processed meat or smoked salmon chunks for that matter, they would know you were pulling a fast one. The documentation I assume would also indicated how many salmon of which species the processor did up for you which you would need to include in your possession limit. For hunting the processors are required to keep records for inspection with things like what they processed for who and related information, hunting license number, tag number, LEH number etc. I assume there is something similar for salmon etc. You should have receipts for x lbs of smoked salmon chunks, canned, frozen, vacuum packed etc.
If you raise suspicions in them, they will investigate it in detail and will be able to work out exactly what you have done.

Last edited:
With processing your fish at Hardy Buoys in Port Hardy you can have your fish cut into as many pieces/packs as you want.

Hardy Buoys records the catch you bring them, how many salmon, cod, halibut, whatever you drop off. This fish can be cut and packaged into however many packs you want.

When you leave Hardy Buoys they will give you your paperwork stating what you are transporting.

IE

4 Chinook
6 cod
3 Lings
1 halibut

Any enforcement you may come across will look at your paperwork and see it’s been processed by a certified facility and send you on your way.

With processing your fish at Hardy Buoys in Port Hardy you can have your fish cut into as many pieces/packs as you want.

Hardy Buoys records the catch you bring them, how many salmon, cod, halibut, whatever you drop off. This fish can be cut and packaged into however many packs you want.

When you leave Hardy Buoys they will give you your paperwork stating what you are transporting.

IE

4 Chinook
6 cod
3 Lings
1 halibut

Any enforcement you may come across will look at your paperwork and see it’s been processed by a certified facility and send you on your way.
They can also process your catch and send it home so you can keep fishing.

Fish has to get home not the fisherman.
We do it all the time and confirmed it with the fish cops.
How else could we come down to support the Island economy and still get enough fish for the freezer?

If your getting stuff canned or smoked it can take months

Back