Twin Setup for 2601 Striper

Falcon

Does anyone out there, besides me, have twins on their 2601 Striper? Mines new to me last October, a 2013 2601 WA, but I’ve yet to put it in the water. Currently have twin G1 175 HP Evinrude Etec’s, which I know nothing about, but I’m thinking of POSSIBLY hitting the boat shows and seeing if I can get twin 200 HP fourstrokes, just because that’s all I know and I won’t be wondering what I have while I venture into the tuna fishing offshore.

Just wondering if anyone has any positive, or negative, feedback with twins on this boat or a boat of this size. Thanks!!

I looked at a lot of 26’s when I was in the market. You will see them rigged mostly with Yamaha 150’s. With the 8’6” beam it’s a pretty good power package for that boat. The hull planes well as you will find out.

I looked at a lot of 26’s when I was in the market. You will see them rigged mostly with Yamaha 150’s. With the 8’6” beam it’s a pretty good power package for that boat. The hull planes well as you will find out.
After visiting a couple dealers they told me my twin 175 HP etec’s should be fine until 1000 hours if I take care of them, there’s 215 hours on my boat and motors. I’ll spend the money on tuna fishing rods, reels and gear...which Derby is helping me with :D

After visiting a couple dealers they told me my twin 175 HP etec’s should be fine until 1000 hours if I take care of them, there’s 215 hours on my boat and motors. I’ll spend the money on tuna fishing rods, reels and gear...which Derby is helping me with :D

No disrespect to you intended but what dealership told you those engines are only good to 1000 hrs, a Yamaha dealer. I’ll call bull **** on that all day long. If taken care of which is minimal on a 2 stroke your good for a few thousand hours 3 easily probably more. Those engines are as good as any 4 stroke out there hands down. Had 13 seasons on my 06’ 175 ETec and that engine was as solid and tight and ran as good as new when I sold it. So far from what I can see a better engine than my ‘10 175 Zukies. Stronger built engines structurally, quieter, and started better than these stroker Zukes and my 175 had probly 5 times the hours on it these strokers do. Run those engines for years and I mean years before you even think about it.

No disrespect to you intended but what dealership told you those engines are only good to 1000 hrs, a Yamaha dealer. I’ll call bull **** on that all day long. If taken care of which is minimal on a 2 stroke your good for a few thousand hours 3 easily probably more. Those engines are as good as any 4 stroke out there hands down. Had 13 seasons on my 06’ 175 ETec and that engine was as solid and tight and ran as good as new when I sold it. So far from what I can see a better engine than my ‘10 175 Zukies. Stronger built engines structurally, quieter, and started better than these stroker Zukes and my 175 had probly 5 times the hours on it these strokers do. Run those engines for years and I mean years before you even think about it.
Well it wasn’t an E-Tec dealer that’s for sure lol, they didn’t say they’d only last 1000 hours, I think it was just a generic that’s when you can start seeing issues if you’re going to. They were nice enough not to BS me and try and sell me a four stroke, they said save your money those engines are fine.

I guess I could’ve worded that better, so that’s on me.

Last edited:
I loved my ETec when I had it as you can tell lol.
Now more on your topic, I currently have twin 175 Zukes on my Wellcraft 264 coastal which is very comparable in weight to your boat and I find them to handle the boat very well. Gets on plane in a snap and cruises at 26 knots with ease. Not sure on the fuel consumption as it’s not hooked up. But as far as power goes it’s more than ample power.

Google STRIPER 2601 PERFORMANCE.

Found this article from the fisherman.com about one with twin Yamaha F150s;

Twin F150 four-stroke Yamahas are a popular choice on the Striper 2601WA and according to factory tests, will top out at over 47 mph spinning a pair of 15.25D x 17P 3-blade SWS props. She’ll plane at only 3000 rpms and will offer excellent 2.87-mpg fuel efficiency, hitting 22.4 mph at only 7.8 gph. Bumping the twin throttles up to 3500 revs, the GPS will indicate 27.5 mph at 11.2 gph, for a net of 2.46 mpg. Advancing the controls to 4-grand will get you 32.2 mph at 14.6 gph, for a bottom line of 2.21 mpg. If you need to travel in the fast lane to catch up to a hot bite, dialing in 4500 rpm on the digital tachs will push her along at 36.6 mph while showing 18.3 gph on the Yamaha fuel flow gauge, which translates to 2 mpg. This is still decent mileage for a three-ton, 26-foot sportfishing machine gobbling up nautical miles at a rapid pace.

Link: https://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=481&ParentCat=3

Google STRIPER 2601 PERFORMANCE.

Found this article from the fisherman.com about one with twin Yamaha F150s;

Twin F150 four-stroke Yamahas are a popular choice on the Striper 2601WA and according to factory tests, will top out at over 47 mph spinning a pair of 15.25D x 17P 3-blade SWS props. She’ll plane at only 3000 rpms and will offer excellent 2.87-mpg fuel efficiency, hitting 22.4 mph at only 7.8 gph. Bumping the twin throttles up to 3500 revs, the GPS will indicate 27.5 mph at 11.2 gph, for a net of 2.46 mpg. Advancing the controls to 4-grand will get you 32.2 mph at 14.6 gph, for a bottom line of 2.21 mpg. If you need to travel in the fast lane to catch up to a hot bite, dialing in 4500 rpm on the digital tachs will push her along at 36.6 mph while showing 18.3 gph on the Yamaha fuel flow gauge, which translates to 2 mpg. This is still decent mileage for a three-ton, 26-foot sportfishing machine gobbling up nautical miles at a rapid pace.

Link: https://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=481&ParentCat=3
Thanks for that, I think I did see that one. As seen above, I was thinking of getting twin 200 HP four strokes but I've decided what I have is perfectly fine. If I did go four stroke in the future I'm now leaning towards 150's instead of 200's.

Back