West Coast Salmon Vulnerable to Climate Change, but Some Show Resilience to Shifting Environment

I don't think "we" will be able to stop that Northward and now Eastwards range shifts...

Hope your right but on their Facebook page I see they are trying to net them everyday to remove the invasive species.

Why not just let them colonize

I think no matter what we do - those species range shifts are gonna happen. I think they already have colonized those areas - no matter what fishing pressure they are under.

Over time - as other species of Pacific salmon arrive and colonize (sockeye, coho and Chinook verses the 1st arriving pinks and chums) - it will likely affect some forms of native stocks - which are generally more FW-based charr and whitefish.

And killer whales will also invade the arctic and end-up going after the bowheads and belugas, as well...

We have to remeber that this year **** salmon return on the south coast was already predicted http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/Hyatt_Grant_SOSE_Fraser-Forum (2018 returns) - REVISED.pdf

with ocean conditions only starting to be favorable for salmon for 2019-2020 returns. The only thing that improved this year was fraser pinks that had a huge recovery. That means things like coho and sockeye jacks this coming season in 2020 may see an improvement. With things like 4 year old chum, sockeye and steelhead not seeing a bounce back to 2021. This year as well we may see a modest improvement as well.

There my prediction from the armchair this morning.

Think of the energy input required to increase the thempture of water on earth. Its astronomical also the trend is not our friend. It takes a VERY VERY small ocean temperature change to wreak havoc on our weather systems. Think of things like hurricane season, el nina and el nino. Massive changes in weather by VER VERY small changes in ocean temperatures.

cheng-ocean-average-temperature-mine.png

Last edited:
Quote: So here’s the hot news. According to these folks, over the last sixty years, the ocean has warmed a little over a tenth of one measly degree … now you can understand why they put it in zettajoules—it’s far more alarming that way.

Next, I’m sorry, but the idea that we can measure the temperature of the top two kilometers of the ocean with an uncertainty of ±0.003°C (three-thousandths of one degree) is simply not believable.

Think of the energy input required to increase the thempture of water on earth. Its astronomical also the trend is not our friend. It takes a VERY VERY small ocean temperature change to wreak havoc on our weather systems. Think of things like hurricane season, el nina and el nino. Massive changes in weather by VER VERY small changes in ocean temperatures.

cheng-ocean-average-temperature-mine.png

The temp anomaly that concerns us as anglers is within the first 300 meters but it's still remarkable that given the sheer volume of the world's oceans that we can effect the average by .1 of a degree C. The amount of energy needed to do that is enormous. Here is a link to the paper.
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s00376-020-9283-7.pdf

index.php

OK you guys are starting to scare the hell out of me...no one post anything about "scientist documents end of times are just around the corner"

Back