Where to catch Dogfish in Vancouver?

Bboomer

Hey guys, I just got into the hobby of fishing about 6 months ago, made my transition from freshwater fishing to saltwater just 2 months ago. Been loving these starry flounders and soles, but haven't caught a dogfish yet. Apparently there are a ton of these out there but I haven’t caught any yet. Ive been fishing at New brighton park only, was hoping to find a fishing spot in vancouver area. Been using a pickerel rig (sorry if spelt wrong) to avoid all the crabs from taking my bait. Heard Harbour Green park is a great place to get some sharks, haven't tried it yet.

Just get a piece of herring on a big hook and drift along the bottom in 100'. They're everywhere. The one trick about dogfish is they don't like to bite fast-moving stuff.

And watch out when u grab them they have nasty spikes that will stab u if u grab them on the back and side, look them up on that net, I did it my first time 40 yrs ago and still cringe lol WELCOME and TIGHT LINES

And watch out when u grab them they have nasty spikes that will stab u if u grab them on the back and side, look them up on that net, I did it my first time 40 yrs ago and still cringe lol WELCOME and TIGHT LINES
Don’t have a boat :( was looking to see if i can catch off a pier.

they go fairly deep during the winter months i believe . When it warms a bit , a nose hooked shiner with the tail cut off fished from dusk on will get hammered off almost any local dock, used to get the odd skate off ambelside aswell

they go fairly deep during the winter months i believe . When it warms a bit , a nose hooked shiner with the tail cut off fished from dusk on will get hammered off almost any local dock, used to get the odd skate off ambelside aswell
Woah didn’t know we had skates!!

Dogfish flesh has a gross taste and smell of ammonia. Gut and skin ASAP, then soak the meat for several hours in cold water that has vinegar or lemon juice in it. Then it's fairly tasty, with the bonus of having no bones.

Also be aware that sharks, as with other top predators, tend to have higher levels of mercury than many other fish. Mercury bioaccumulates in fish flesh, so the older the fish, the more it contains. A two foot dogfish may be 10 years old; a three footer, 30 years. I suggest you do some research if you're concerned.

http://www.jjmcdonnell.com/products/Dogfish
https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/mercury-fish
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/ecology/rocky-spiny_dog.htm
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ias_in_the_Strait_of_Georgia_British_Columbia

Dogfish has been a staple supply of the British fish’n chip industry for decades, and now I’m kind of ashamed to admit that of the hundreds I’ve caught, I’ve never skinned and harvested one!

I second the warning. They can bend there tail at you like a scorpion. I got wacked in my wrist this year.... Faking sucked

I grab them by the nose, they have a sandpaper texture not slippery at all. If they get squirrley just drop it

Lay them on the ground or the bottom of the boat and step on their tail. The only way to control that tail swinging around. Then you can grab it by the snout and perform surgery or lobotomy, which ever you prefer.

Me and my buddies, when we were teens, used to fish for them on summer nights with hand lines off the beach at the evening high tide. A piece of a salmon trim or herring for bait worked well.
Be mindful of the spine on the back. I grab them by the tail with my thumb and index finger. They’re super easy to grip as mentioned. That way they can’t get you with the poisonous spine.

Back