2020 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All, Happy 2020 season.
I have a question, looking for your opinion's. Been to WH a few times now, always launch and retrieve at Coal Harbor. Since I'm coming from the south, would it be just as easy to launch from port Alice? I hear that there is a deep water entry and tide is not a issue. I have almost missed the tide at Coal Harbor so I thought I would ask. So two questions, Port Alice launch as good or better than Coal Harbor? And the run from Alice about the same as from Coal to WH? Thanks, The Deplorables!

We usually use Coal Harbour but have used Port Alice as well, the last time we used Port Alice tides were definitely an issue, but not quite the same as Coal Harbour, The run from either to Winter harbour is about the same give or take a bit.

Nearoutsos can be challanging at times and as well as bushholts and S/W drake with wind .Coal and up the north of drake and allong the northshore up to coprino can be better .seems the weather around holberg south and north seperates north around holberg and winds come to pt hardy and south then S/E around byng to pt allice. About the same distance .both ramps have been washed out at where the concrete ends( from larger craft powering up onto trialerbunks). so watch that step down with the trialer.more parking in coal I think.

We usually use Coal Harbour but have used Port Alice as well, the last time we used Port Alice tides were definitely an issue, but not quite the same as Coal Harbour, The run from either to Winter harbour is about the same give or take a bit.
Thanks< We have been lucky so far, but we run to the ferry at Duke Point so we get stuck with the tides because of a long travel. Thanks again, good info.

Nearoutsos can be challanging at times and as well as bushholts and S/W drake with wind .Coal and up the north of drake and allong the northshore up to coprino can be better .seems the weather around holberg south and north seperates north around holberg and winds come to pt hardy and south then S/E around byng to pt allice. About the same distance .both ramps have been washed out at where the concrete ends( from larger craft powering up onto trialerbunks). so watch that step down with the trialer.more parking in coal I think.
Thank you, I looked at the aerial view of Alice for the parking, seems a little less. Because of our travel times we are kinda stuck with what we get. Thanks most likely stay with Coal. I do like the old guy at coal, he's a landmark and great to chat with.

Hello All, Happy 2020 season.
I have a question, looking for your opinion's. Been to WH a few times now, always launch and retrieve at Coal Harbor. Since I'm coming from the south, would it be just as easy to launch from port Alice? I hear that there is a deep water entry and tide is not a issue. I have almost missed the tide at Coal Harbor so I thought I would ask. So two questions, Port Alice launch as good or better than Coal Harbor? And the run from Alice about the same as from Coal to WH? Thanks, The Deplorables!
I've always gone to Pt Alice on advice from Oli (at WH) with my 26'-better with a larger boat, lots of parking, good paved road

You boys that’s fish there, how is the fishing farther up the inlet closer to Quatsino area . Does a person have to concentrate more on the outside and Winter Harbour area or are there opportunities inside.

Heading up on Thursday May 28th for 4 days and staying at one of Oli’s cabins! Taking my boat and super pumped to get into some good fishing! Scrubbed our Nootka trip because of the closed launch and glad for people like Oli who run a good business and have common sense! Any recent reports? Hoping not to run to far offshore to find the white meat!! Will post a report when I get back!

SWC

Heading up on Thursday May 28th for 4 days and staying at one of Oli’s cabins! Taking my boat and super pumped to get into some good fishing! Scrubbed our Nootka trip because of the closed launch and glad for people like Oli who run a good business and have common sense! Any recent reports? Hoping not to run to far offshore to find the white meat!! Will post a report when I get back!

SWC

I have a buddy up there now..should find out how they make out in a few days.

Probably worth giving the Outpost a call if you're going to need any supplies from them while you're out there. Dad called this week and got a recording saying no fuel etc at this point, hopefully it'll change soon, maybe it has already. We'll be out 2nd week of June good luck out there!

Look forward to hearing some reports. I’m headed up on the 3rd for a week. Someone in our group talked to patty at winter harbour marina and she did not mention anything about no fuel at the outpost.

I called the Outpost a few weeks ago and they are welcoming visitors with open arms. They realize that we are their economy and need our business to survive. They have implemented some proper safety measures to keep their little community safe! Looking forward to hooking up some slabs in 3 weeks!

I saw a couple of nice Striper's launch here in Port Alice yesterday. The weather makes me feel a bit sorry for them.

SWC
Good luck out there, Oli reported a couple weeks ago that the king and hali fishery was ridiculous! And lots of springs at lippy. We will be arriving June 11 , and looking forward to getting into the white meat, as well as the red. Anyone up there that week feel free to get ahold of us. Let’s team up and load up.

Good luck out there, Oli reported a couple weeks ago that the king and hali fishery was ridiculous! And lots of springs at lippy. We will be arriving June 11 , and looking forward to getting into the white meat, as well as the red. Anyone up there that week feel free to get ahold of us. Let’s team up and load up.
Same here. We will miss you guys. We are going June 3-10. If any one is around feel free to reach out.

We'll be staying in Oli's double floating cabin June 12-15. We'll be in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back