Fish Bonker

Honestly the bonker I use came from the site below. Its handmade & made in BC from BC lumber. It's a beautiful piece & will subdue a 60lb halibut in one greeting.
Shop local, made local, from Canadian sourced products.

https://westcoastthumpers.com/

Reactions: Fox
My vote is for the mini aluminum bats. TINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

I do agree the wood ones ILGH have are sweet and the peetz “live edge” woodies are pretty sweet too.

My vote is for the mini aluminum bats. TINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

I do agree the wood ones ILGH have are sweet and the peetz “live edge” woodies are pretty sweet too.
I got one of those at the galiano derby this year. Hasn't left the drawer because I'm too scared to use it :(.
I might just hang it up on the wall, it'll really tie the cabin together.

Wesking made some great ones with lead in the end. You can really give it to a fish with one.
A bit of lead makes a big difference - a few years ago I took my dad out and we were pulling pretty big lings and he didn't want to use my pocket thumper because he thought it looked like "a toy". He had a whole theory about the speed of the strike and how a short heavy striker wouldn't do the job and what was needed was a fast strike and you could only get that with a length of wood and so he had to bring his own etc etc etc.

My fish went to sleep with flat skulls. His struggled with either insomnia or nightmares for the next hour or so, and since we had no warm milk to offer them to comfort them into pleasant repose, I had to intervene. The Foster Midget resolved their sleep deficiencies.

My dad still denies that there is any explanation for why 50% of the fish - the 50% with flat skulls - stayed down, and the other 50% kept flopping.

I think the Midget has six ounces of lead in the tip. You hit things you might want to keep with the flat for persuasive purposes, and things you don't like with the edge, for permanent alteration. I don't go fishing without it.

I have a ironwood bonker that I have used for years-- it was made by a friend of mine. But recently I was given a cutdown fiberglass sledgehammer handle. Dont spend good money on buying the fancy ones from the stores. Look around first.

I am dying to get my hands on some ironwood. did he get it locally?

I am dying to get my hands on some ironwood. did he get it locally?
He was a hobby wood turner. His shop has many different types of wood that he turned into works of art. He died a few years back but the bonker is getting pretty checked, but will probably outlast me.

I have 14 inches of the butt end of a pool cue . Drilled a hole and screwed in 8 inches of threaded metal rod , works great

I bought my father in law a Peetz bonker for xmas last year and then my folks got me a personalized West coast thumper. Both are heavy but short enough and give a very satisfying *thwack* when getting the job done. Both also locally made.

Back