2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are a bit north of you in Powell River, but we've found we have to be almost scraping bottom in 200' of water to get any keepers. With 15 lb balls at 2 knots I usually run 220'+ on the riggers in 200' of water.
It sounds like you're doing everything right. So far, we haven't needed bait. Cop car coho killer caught all but one of nine fish last night. Mostly shakers & one wild coho. Brought home one 8 1/2 lb. Chinook & one pink after trolling a couple of hours.
From what I've seen, most fish around here have been caught on the evening bite. We had a few skunk days fishing mid day rising tides. Always started at low slack, which usually works. Not these days, though.
Things improved dramatically when we got our gear in the water after 5:00 PM. Usually had our limit well before dark.
Hope things pick up for you!

Ah, Misery loves company! I was out last night an hour on each side of low tide. One boat lost a nice fish and he was finding fish about 10' off the bottom.

Hopefully we're in between runs as the guys in Vancouver are lighting it up apparently!

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
It’s pretty much all but done. Secret Cove area has always been very slow August on. If you want to catch fish now you have to take to run to Sangsters or French Creek. They’re both very productive right now.

Question for the locals: What is the outlook for salmon in late Sept/early Oct? I'm thinking I'll go close the cabin sometime in that period, prospect of some fish would nudge the decision along. When is the Chapman Ck coho run?

Question for the locals: What is the outlook for salmon in late Sept/early Oct? I'm thinking I'll go close the cabin sometime in that period, prospect of some fish would nudge the decision along. When is the Chapman Ck coho run?

I have a summer place off Wilson creek and there are folks fishing off mission point already from shore. I didnt have the boat with me this weekend but I saw a few boats trolling off the point so there must be some action soon.

Last weekend of Sept, what the heck. I need to go anyway.

Does any one know if the salmon fishing is still any good up around secret cove now? Headed there tomorrow for a few nights and was hoping to drag a line. Thanks!

Anybody fishing for pinks in the PH area?

i was out most of saturday - fished the early high slack at epsom until ~1, no bites and very little bait. spoons then went to tomics. covered pretty well the entire bank from the point to due south of bjerre, no dice! super nice out there though, glassy and perfect tides. also was temporarily surrounded by the biggest pod of pacific white-sided dolphins i've even seen, must have been a few hundred at least! heading southwest towards nanaimo

after a duster of a morning at epsom, moved over to the bjerre for the (high) low afternoon slack and got 2 beauties both on the 2nd pass, heading south... 2nd of the 2 come on a double header with an undersize. all three were pin poppers - savage hits!

one of those days where it started to smell like skunk city, then the bite came on strong.. magic day

121419_doubs.JPG

I'm down on the south shore of the Big Island of Hawaii reading this post and wishing I was home. There is structure about 7 miles off our place that folks fish day and night but all I can think about is being back in January to chase those winter springs. Awesome work keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back