25 Bertam vs 26 Hourston

Which would you choose?

• Hourston

• Bertram

Results are only viewable after voting.
That’s a decent rate. Tofino Resort charged the same for a 30 ft finger
I lucked out too and when I switched boats last year I did the shuffle while all the dock construction was going on. When the dust settled my 28-32 spot turned into a 32-40 spot the way the pilings worked out. So when it's time to POD I have plenty of room to grow :). For now it gives me enough room for a buddy boat to slip in behind me for late night shenanigans.
Screenshot_20191209-204357_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of boat do you have? i have a DE 185 and i won’t launch at Big Rock in less than 5’ of tide. i HATE discovery but it is what it is in CR. pretty much two choices in the Salmon Capital is just pathetic.
Good to know. Podded 22.5 hardtop
Boats not here yet

I paid $600 for moorage in Sooke this summer for August through October ...which with the restrictions was all I needed. For the same size boat the guys at Sooke Harbour Resort who have to buck up for the year paid $2700.00. Which is cheap compared to Victoria. So I kept $2100.00 in my pocket and launched for $10.00 the few times I had to before August 1st. The other reason I don't want the boat in the water in the winter are...it wouldn't be close to do chores on nice weekend days with all the tools handy, no worry about what the boat is doing at 3 am in a 60 mph plus blow, don't have to worry about the theft that happens every winter at the marinas (multiple boats get hit in one night) In a normal fishing year I pay about $900 for 5 months (June to end of October)

I lucked out too and when I switched boats last year I did the shuffle while all the dock construction was going on. When the dust settled my 28-32 spot turned into a 32-40 spot the way the pilings worked out. So when it's time to POD I have plenty of room to grow :). For now it gives me enough room for a buddy boat to slip in behind me for late night shenanigans.
View attachment 49389

Buddy boat eh?!

you don’t say!! ;)

Buddy boat eh?!

you don’t say!! ;)
Any time man. It's the wild west over there right now. All kinds of liveaboards including the staff which is funny because it's against the rules. Theft is way down lol. I can easily fit a 24' along side mine.

Any time man. It's the wild west over there right now. All kinds of liveaboards including the staff which is funny because it's against the rules. Theft is way down lol. I can easily fit a 24' along side mine.

Nothing I like more than harassing all my Spalding buddies at rvyc saying I hear they're bringing laws making it mandatory for boat owners to provide housing to help manage down our collective homeless issues here in town. This or face a vacant boat tax. They literally go apeshit

Nothing I like more than harassing all my Spalding buddies at rvyc saying I hear they're bringing laws making it mandatory for boat owners to provide housing to help manage down our collective homeless issues here in town. This or face a vacant boat tax. They literally go apeshit

Careful! Spread that rumour too far and some idiot at city hall will be all over it!

View attachment 49389

I’ll pay you half my rate to slide in behind ya! Look how well she’d fit! :p

Getting this thread back on topic... are you actually considering purchasing one or both of these somewhat rare boats? I have a 26’ Hourston and I’ve been happy with it. Although I would have been happy with a Double Eagle or certain Sea Ray models and many other boats that cost similar amounts of money.

honestly it would probably be recommended to find either in reasonable shape at a reasonable price with a setup you like.

if you want a hourston, you could always make me an offer

Getting this thread back on topic... are you actually considering purchasing one or both of these somewhat rare boats? I have a 26’ Hourston and I’ve been happy with it. Although I would have been happy with a Double Eagle or certain Sea Ray models and many other boats that cost similar amounts of money.

honestly it would probably be recommended to find either in reasonable shape at a reasonable price with a setup you like.

if you want a hourston, you could always make me an offer

hey 7Deuce, in my opinion, both boats are great! After trailering the Hourston through Vancouver and over a few bridges I can honestly say that it would be scary trailering the Bertram with a 9'10" beam vs 8'6" on the Hourston. The Hourston is definitely my fav for this reason alone...

Also, No disrespect intended but after now ripping both a 23' and 26' apart, I would be hesitant to buy a rebuild unless there was detailed back up pictures/vids documenting the build. The hull is rock sold on these boats, no disputing that, the tabbing of stringers and keel on the other hand is inadequate. On both these boats (23' -1977 & 26' -1970) all tabbing had to be grinned down to original hull material due to bonding failure. The attached pic illustrate tabbing that was removed by hand with only a pry-bar, now that is a terrifying thought!

I will be detailing this more in my other thread https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/23-hourston-project-commenced.76711/

IMG_8183.jpeg Resized_20191219_120433.jpeg IMG_8096.jpeg IMG_7600.jpeg

Last edited:
No disrespect Robert but for a 40+ year old boat that speaks of how strong they were built. Now in saying that with the work that your doing now and with better building practices and materials the boat should easily last another 50-60 years easy.

No disrespect Robert but for a 40+ year old boat that speaks of how strong they were built. Now in saying that with the work that your doing now and with better building practices and materials the boat should easily last another 50-60 years easy.

Hey casper, I didn't look at it that way but you are so right... thank you for that mind change on perspective :)

That's the way it was pointed out to me by a old shipwright when I was commenting on how mine was built. Lol. He also told me it may be do to the hull not being prepped well and a cold damp hull at layup. Like they say buy car that was built on a Monday not a Friday afternoon.

That's the way it was pointed out to me by a old shipwright when I was commenting on how mine was built. Lol. He also told me it may be do to the hull not being prepped well and a cold damp hull at layup. Like they say buy car that was built on a Monday not a Friday afternoon.

Agreed, thank you again sir...

He was also the guy that told me to save my money for gas and use Polyester resin instead of epoxy. I only used epoxy on the transom.

He was also the guy that told me to save my money for gas and use Polyester resin instead of epoxy. I only used epoxy on the transom.

same same... :D

IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1877.jpg IMG_1878.jpg IMG_1878.jpg IMG_1877.jpg IMG_1905.jpg These pictures show the de-laminating I had. You can see the big spots that held the motor mount down I lifted right off. Also the starboard stringer outside just peeled off.IMG_1878.jpg View attachment 49644 IMG_1877.jpg IMG_1905.jpg

Back