Help Identifying my boat

Mitch graf

looking to get some more info on my boat as I’m going to put it for sale soon to upgrade. Got it a decade ago and restored it but never really had much information on it. It’s a 17ft glasscraft but the year of manufacture is a mystery to me I was hoping someone who had more knowledge of fibreglass boats could help out identifying.

Attachments

• 14DD34B5-E3A8-46F4-BCF6-2EBB32000AF5.jpeg
    14DD34B5-E3A8-46F4-BCF6-2EBB32000AF5.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 234
probably hourston glass craft There are posts if you search this site maybe late 70s early 80s but hard to tell from photos Good boat I had a 17.5

K & C Thermoglass? I think thats what they were called. I had a 17 1/2 footer back in 1976. Looked pretty close to yours. Its a guess tho.

I would say Hourston too

Check on the outside top starboard side of the transom for a 12 digit number embedded in the fibreglass. The first three numbers or letters are the manufacturer’s identity code, the last 2 are the year it was built. Hull identification numbers have been required since the ‘70s, so it should be there as long as the transom is original.

They didn't start putting the serial # on the fibre glass till the early 80's
It was on the aluminum part of the rub rail rear starboard side,
as long as it was the original rub rail.

To me that looks like a 16 Hourston hull. I am not an expert but the 17s I have seen have a lower chine at the bow, and the strakes are arranged differently. The chine on that thing comes up fairly high compared to where the waterline would be, and the strakes are pretty much longtitudinal, which says 16 Hourston to me.

The 17 DEs I know have a similar chine location, but the strakes look more like the Hourston 17s.

Granted I am only speaking from the hulls I know; I don't know if they always used the same moulds. But if you google Hourston Glascraft 16, you will see what I mean: look at where the strakes intersect with the chine, and the chine intersects with the keel.

Not definitive but that's how it looks to me.

looking to get some more info on my boat as I’m going to put it for sale soon to upgrade. Got it a decade ago and restored it but never really had much information on it. It’s a 17ft glasscraft but the year of manufacture is a mystery to me I was hoping someone who had more knowledge of fibreglass boats could help out identifying.

Hourston. You have shot of stern? The flare in stern doesn't look my old one, and rounds out. It should come down flat.

K and C I believe also had rounded transom. If you look at the back of your boat on the rub rail DE stamp out set of numbers. This was common for 80's boats.

Last edited:
They didn't start putting the serial # on the fibre glass till the early 80's
It was on the aluminum part of the rub rail rear starboard side,
as long as it was the original rub rail.
Not true. My 1976 Hourston hull has serial numbers on the starboard transom

Remember there were at least a few Hourston clones produced some in Campbell River IIRC-they looked 'quite similar' to all the boats produced back then.

After looking at a few pics online I change my opinion...not a Hourston...this pic changed my mind. The bow is different.

Attachments

• hourston.jpg
    hourston.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 100
After looking at a few pics online I change my opinion...not a Hourston...this pic changed my mind. The bow is different.
That's the 17 the way I remember it...the chine runs almost parallel to the waterline and the strakes narrow towards the bow. The glass is the same but it ends, proportionally, further forward on the boat.

Here's a 16 Hourston:

75297711_614.jpg

Look at the way the chine raises up, not like the 17 and larger at all. And the strakes run longtitudinally, not wrapping in to the keel, just like the OP's boat. Same transom tumblehome, also.

After a day to think about it, I am doubling down on 16 Hourston.

Wouldn't some accurate dimensions solve this? Can't see that they'd all have the exact same LOA and beams?

Back