Lets see your fish Cleaning station.

Cookie's Cutter

Some of you may clean on your boat, I prefer to wait until I get home. Lets see your fish cleaning station.

I currently use 2 saw horses and a piece of plywood. I am thinking of building a permanent setup in my back yard. What type of surface do you use?

I am thinking of building a permanent setup in my back yard. What type of surface do you use?
Yeah. I’d consult DFO on their 2020 closure plans before committing to such project. I personally use Cabelas’ foldable table. I have the space and hose access in my backyard but two things stopped me from building a perm station:
1- DFO’s closures and poor stock mgmt
2- bears

You might be living in an area that still has some productive months so it all depends, I guess.

Made this one for the marina where I keep my boat, and you could easily make something similar for use at home to attach to a folding base. 3/4" starboard for the bottom and 1/2" for the sides. Works great, thinking of making a smaller version for the boat.

You can add an all weather outdoor mat work to keep the fish from sliding around, something like this works well: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FSIWME0/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

3F38D395-F84A-4153-97F9-2F9ED2271110.jpeg 1890DDDB-3075-4A4A-B8B8-BEB8363DDDC0.jpeg CD951918-29AB-47D3-8AF5-6A67BD1EF438.jpeg IMG_0008.jpeg

from the 2nd hand store I brought home an old cooler tray, stainless sink, with narrow edges. it is almost 4' long. I cut slots in the underside of 4 cedar 2x4 planks, and they fit over the edges, taking up almost all the space across the sink. Mounted the sink/cooler on top of an old boat stand or a low bench. The rough cedar planks provide enuf friction that your fish doesn't slide around, and the small gaps btw planks let water flow into the sink. after a few years of hacking up skeletons for prawn bait, I put the planks thru a thickness planner to removed the cut marks. after finishing, you can remove the boards for cleaning and drying, clean out the sink, and a screen on the ground below the sink outlet. keeps the skunks, and racoons, away. rats will dig thru the gravel for salmon eggs...

I've settled on putting my wife's car on the street, backing my truck up to the garage door and setting up inside the garage to stay out of the sun and away from most of the wasps.
Hose to the back of the truck just outside to spray off the fish and then wipe slime with the back of a knife, then I prefer to not use water on flesh so I don't need water where I cut. I pull the fish one a time out of the fish ice in the big cooler(s) in the truck.
I got a huge plastic cutting board (restaurant supply store) which rests on a deck from an old treadmill, which sits on a couple cheap folding saw horses.
The rest of the set up includes a cooler to sit on as I work, a garbage bag lined 5 gallon bucket for trimmings, another container to hold potential crab bait/garden fertilzer,spoon and bowl for scraping bones for fish burgers, a cooler with ice to set a large rectangular stainless pan with cut pieces in, knives, towels, paper towels, pot and single burner for ling/hali head soup broth.
Everything gets thrown on the driveway to be pressure washed at the end.
Vacuum sealing in the kitchen.

Made this one for the marina where I keep my boat, and you could easily make something similar for use at home to attach to a folding base. 3/4" starboard for the bottom and 1/2" for the sides. Works great, thinking of making a smaller version for the boat.

You can add an all weather outdoor mat work to keep the fish from sliding around, something like this works well: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FSIWME0/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

View attachment 49330 View attachment 49331 View attachment 49332 View attachment 49333

All great responses. did you router the lip around the outside?

What dimensions did you make this?

I've settled on putting my wife's car on the street, backing my truck up to the garage door and setting up inside the garage to stay out of the sun and away from most of the wasps.
Hose to the back of the truck just outside to spray off the fish and then wipe slime with the back of a knife, then I prefer to not use water on flesh so I don't need water where I cut. I pull the fish one a time out of the fish ice in the big cooler(s) in the truck.
I got a huge plastic cutting board (restaurant supply store) which rests on a deck from an old treadmill, which sits on a couple cheap folding saw horses.
The rest of the set up includes a cooler to sit on as I work, a garbage bag lined 5 gallon bucket for trimmings, another container to hold potential crab bait/garden fertilzer,spoon and bowl for scraping bones for fish burgers, a cooler with ice to set a large rectangular stainless pan with cut pieces in, knives, towels, paper towels, pot and single burner for ling/hali head soup broth.
Everything gets thrown on the driveway to be pressure washed at the end.
Vacuum sealing in the kitchen.

I love it. I totally agree with the no washing if you can help it.
The spoon and bowl to scrape the bones for salmon burgers - I know it probably varies from fillet to fillet but is it worth while? How many fish to make a burger?

Don’t get me wrong I love the idea.

I love it. I totally agree with the no washing if you can help it.
The spoon and bowl to scrape the bones for salmon burgers - I know it probably varies from fillet to fillet but is it worth while? How many fish to make a burger?

Don’t get me wrong I love the idea.
I like to take the side off a salmon in one pass with a 14" Victorinox granton edge slicer, so there is a fair bit of meat still on the bones.
If I come home from a trip with 4 chinooks, a couple cohoes and lings, and a halibut, I end up with a bowl of scrapings big enough for about 8 burgers. That's 4 meals at my house. Worth the effort.
Barbecued salmon frame is good too.

I like to take the side off a salmon in one pass with a 14" Victorinox granton edge slicer, so there is a fair bit of meat still on the bones.
If I come home from a trip with 4 chinooks, a couple cohoes and lings, and a halibut, I end up with a bowl of scrapings big enough for about 8 burgers. That's 4 meals at my house. Worth the effort.
Barbecued salmon frame is good too.
I really like pan frying all the trimmings too. Delish. Save the big fillets for family dinners but the trimmings are all mine.

I work with some guys that are masters at bending Stainless Steel tubing, they bent up some 1” for me to set up this table. Drains out between the engines.

Attachments

• IM003076.JPG
    IM003076.JPG
    680.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IM003077.JPG
    IM003077.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IM003078.JPG
    IM003078.JPG
    660 KB · Views: 159
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 163
All great responses. did you router the lip around the outside?

What dimensions did you make this?

Dimensions were 42" x 24", with the sides / back 3" high.

For the channel around the sides, I used a 1/2" round nose bit. You can see at the back and on the sides where the channel goes right to the edge to let the water/blood drain off. The top front edge is routered as well with a 3/8" radius bit to take the edge off.

grrr, how do I post a pic from my iphone?

Back