2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolled from McCauley Point to Trial Island this morning. Totally dead until 10am – then 4 springs 7,8,9 and 12 near Trial in 90 feet of water. All fish had empty stomachs except one – a small herring and a prawn. No seals around at all.
We were in the Cdory at Trial jigging near that time and guess you were the other boat. Clearly we didn't try hard enough or stick around long enough I guess. :). Nice job!

I chaperoned a Grade 4 field trip on a whale watching boat yesterday morning. Watched a humpback whale right in front of the flag pole feeding for a good 20 mins. The biologist on board suspected it was feeding on herring. So there’s some bait around.

We were in the Cdory at Trial jigging near that time and guess you were the other boat. Clearly we didn't try hard enough or stick around long enough I guess. :). Nice job!
Yes we were next to you at Trial, we noticed you disappear just before the bite started to happen. We totally expected to have a tug of war with a 300 pound fur ball, nice to see the seals gone!

I was out in a buddy's boat this morning trolling Clover Point. Was pretty slow, but beautifully calm - we got into 1 small keeper and 1 30#er. Wait, what!? o_O

My fish looked maybe 7ish when it came to the surface so when it started to pull... and pull.... and PUUUULL line out like a 20#er, I decided it had to be at least 30! :cool: It spit the hook so we will never know. Likely closer to 10, or a seal, but who knows. I’m sure my dreams will be haunted tonight!

When out on Saturday. Lots of debris floating around out there. I hit something with by motor leg but was Ok. Another boat was limping home on it's kicker. Released a couple of small Springs in 100' of water of Clover Pt. Both while paralleling the sewer outfall pipe on a tack. Not bad since I was only fishing for an hour before the weather became too snotty for my little boat.
Lost a prawn trap about 1 km west of Trial. I suspect some debris may have drowned my floats or dragged it off. It wasn't worth risking my life out in the middle of the strait looking for it. Couldn't find it at slack on Sunday. Crabbing however was pretty good in Oak Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back