Do You Get A Christmas Bonus?

Do You Get A Christmas Bonus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthew S.

Ok, so i just finished watching National Lampoon Christmas Vacation. Long story short, he depends on his Christmas bonus to pay for an in ground pool but his boss gives him a year's subscription to a jelly club.

I thought it be fun to do a poll to see how many of us get a Christmas bonus. How personal you get is up to you

Could be any additional payment made by your employer to you in late November and December.

I'll start... NO I get squat, nodda, nil, 0

Have fun and Happy Holidays

Old family owners always gave a months salary to us on Christmas eve. Sold to a big corporation in 2005, now we are lucky to a an annual raise.

We give Christmas bonuses to all our employees except for one year that was pretty rough. Almost lost a few guys out of our small core crew of 10 or so. It sucks that people rely on a Christmas bonus but that is what we do. I always wonder if they go somewhere else because of a missed bonus on a ****** year that they have been employed all year, how soon will they be coming back....

Gotta say, my company might be too generous....
Well they also get 15 paid vacay days a year and time off whenever they want. And higher wages than most guys at their responsibility level. And tools paid. And fishing Fridays. And coffee. And donuts. And beers on pay day. :confused:

Well they also get 15 paid vacay days a year and time off whenever they want. And higher wages than most guys at their responsibility level. And tools paid. And fishing Fridays. And coffee. And donuts. And beers on pay day. :confused:
I do everything except for the last four things haha. But I’d like to adjust to something in the middle

Jeez, sounds rough... You hiring? LoL

I’m retired now, but when I worked, I always got a year end bonus. I think most larger companies have to pay bonus’s to compete. It was paid every year the first week of Dec. Bad years and good years. Obviously driven by achievement of targets. Measurable metrics and some soft targets less measurable. Some years were really good, some years average. People become accustomed to getting the added income. You can’t just not pay it because of bad results in one year or you’ll face consequences. They tried that once in the 80’s and lost many employees. Never did it again. It’s a little more complex though for smaller companies to manage bonus structure systems. Jealousy, perceived favouritism, tenure, employee contribution/measurability probably make it tougher to deal with.

Retired now or I guess semi retired and my 'bonus' is all the work I can handle coming up to Xmas-the money comes in handy for summertime fishing trips.

The dumbest bonus I ever got was a gift card from Amex which I couldn't give away no merchant in Vancouver would touch the thing finally an online search led me to the gubmint likker storr who'll take anything.

Everything got cancelled 3 years ago with the downturn in Alberta even tho my company's division is located in BC and we have had some really successful years. Have to send all the money to the mothership in Alberta to make western canada's bottom line look better. It is what it is When BC economy was in the toilet years ago and our company was losing money we were still having christmas parties because Alberta was making buck.

Damn straight Skippy.
I have read enough Dickens to know that a good employer makes Christmas happen. I try and be creative with incentives that all employees will appreciate. Cash is king, but I try other things too, alcohol

I don't but my family sure seems to...hahahha. What I do is run performance evaluations with annual compensation reviews in December. The increases take effect January 1 so that seems to make folks happy. Hmm...I almost forgot we also host a dinner for the staff and + 1's and that's a wide open, have at it for around 60 so that adds up.

Last edited: