Hourston Rebuild Value

Its not the answer he is looking for guys he wants someone to say YES great idea.... dont get me wrong , have to tip my hat to you bud your passionate about grinding, glassing, putting a command bridge on etc etc etc trust me it will get a little thing after a while working on a boat. I completely re did one about 25 years ago from top to bottom stringers EVERYTHING and vowed id never do it again ...granted I made money on it as the market back then was great ...today's market is tanking badly.

Do it for one reason and one reason only FOR YOU and making it your own others wont really like what you have done . You will get oh if you would have done or why did you do that? etc custom it to what you think you want.
There is and will be newer and nicer boats coming up for sale this coming year 3rd charter guy in sooke has already folded and I expect more and more up island

Its not the answer he is looking for guys he wants someone to say YES great idea.... dont get me wrong , have to tip my hat to you bud your passionate about grinding, glassing, putting a command bridge on etc etc etc trust me it will get a little thing after a while working on a boat. I completely re did one about 25 years ago from top to bottom stringers EVERYTHING and vowed id never do it again ...granted I made money on it as the market back then was great ...today's market is tanking badly.

Do it for one reason and one reason only FOR YOU and making it your own others wont really like what you have done . You will get oh if you would have done or why did you do that? etc custom it to what you think you want.
There is and will be newer and nicer boats coming up for sale this coming year 3rd charter guy in sooke has already folded and I expect more and more up island

It's kinda sad to see this coming and not being able to do anything... You guys may or may not know I am originally from NFLD and experienced a collapsing fishery first hand. My dad had two boats a 38' and 42' both, Cape Island's, both boats and all the gear had to be sold cents on the dollar to try and recover as much as possible, I was just a young gaffer but remember the hard decisions that needed to be made for the good of the family. I was 14 at the time we done a family move to NS for work... O well, point being many families and fishery related livelihoods will be affected.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw you were from the east.. Another trip sometimes in the future. Concentrate on this one project because with Alberta summers and at least 2 summers work concentrate on getting this one on the water and tune it in with other stuff you want and think about new projects after you are done. If you see a decent hull you like buy it if you have cheap storage but finish the first one first because you might get sick of it.

Yeah I saw you were from the east.. Another trip sometimes in the future. Concentrate on this one project because with Alberta summers and at least 2 summers work concentrate on getting this one on the water and tune it in with other stuff you want and think about new projects after you are done. If you see a decent hull you like buy it if you have cheap storage but finish the first one first because you might get sick of it.

Move to AB and we can build these boats together, come on over... hahah

Move to AB and we can build these boats together, come on over... hahah
My house is in Edmonton. My wife and I have been cruising in a motorhome for the last 14 months pretty much. November was Comox, December Metchosin, home for Christmas and Olymic peninsula after Christmas and then south.

Sorry to pile on, Robert. I had my 23 Hourston professionally rebuilt, and its great - better than new, and cost less than a new boat -- but far more than the current market. Last summer, there were 5 Hourston 23s is Used Victoria - from junk prices to $30-40K for completely set up boats with trailers. Unless you work for less than minimum wage, you can't compete. Listen to Wild Bill - fix one and use it. If you really love it, do another - later [I'm also tempted by a 26 - the sedan, not the Island Runner, and probably command bridge].

Sorry to pile on, Robert. I had my 23 Hourston professionally rebuilt, and its great - better than new, and cost less than a new boat -- but far more than the current market. Last summer, there were 5 Hourston 23s is Used Victoria - from junk prices to $30-40K for completely set up boats with trailers. Unless you work for less than minimum wage, you can't compete. Listen to Wild Bill - fix one and use it. If you really love it, do another - later [I'm also tempted by a 26 - the sedan, not the Island Runner, and probably command bridge].

Like it... thx

Boats are luxury items that are market dependent. With the crash in Alberta and the slow down in BC the market for boats appears to be on the downswing. I was surprised driving through rural Alberta how many farmers had ocean boats sitting on their properties. All of them had boats and RVs.

So clearly there is a big market when conditions are favorable.

Alberta how many farmers had ocean boats sitting on their properties. All of them had boats and RVs.
Its always like that back there they LOVE the toys hence why its so good to buy stuff back there ,I got my truck back there for about 15 grand less then here 4 years ago when the downturn happened. from a kid who was trying to just get out from all the expenses. I spend a fair bit of time back there and this year is probably the worst ive seen it, toys are gonna come up even more . when you see Boston pizza , tim hortons and 2 liquor stores closed on one main street you know they are hurting

Its always like that back there they LOVE the toys hence why its so good to buy stuff back there ,I got my truck back there for about 15 grand less then here 4 years ago when the downturn happened. from a kid who was trying to just get out from all the expenses. I spend a fair bit of time back there and this year is probably the worst ive seen it, toys are gonna come up even more . when you see Boston pizza , tim hortons and 2 liquor stores closed on one main street you know they are hurting

Yes sir, sad to say but the "hay days" of the oil is all but gone, I hope not but I am sure its worst than what is let on...

Back