Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

Model name, fresh water only go too rod. Find them any where, cheap so when you or someone breaks one not that bad. They come in many different lengths, powers and actions.

HM

You hold the rod while in the rigger the whole time your fishing?

I have a one meter long forked stick mounted in a holder bolted to the transom. Rod tip sits in the notch of the stick, rod is in hand and I get to feel every take-down.

I've been doing that for years but admittedly, might go back to holding my 10 and a half foot Sage in the Scotty next summer...gripping the rod handle hung with a big heavy reel for three straight weeks of 16 hour days up in Central Coast this summer caused some nerve stuff in my left arm that took 2 months to go away...getting old sucks, but getting take-downs with rod in hand using braid line is a spectacular part of the fishing experience for me... calls to mind my favorite line in a River Ran Though It....

"the fly went under in a boil, his rod started frantically waving goodbye, and then he stepped on the third rail..."

Last edited:
I have used 9’ Ugly Sticks for years. They have stood up very well and are easy to rig, use, and land your catch. However I also have a couple of 10’6 rods and it is definitely nicer to catch a big fish on those. The longer rod has more spring and I think is more forgiving with any reeling errors.
Landing and rigging are a bit more of a challenge with the longer rod.
Certainly when we fish for sockeye the shorter Ugly Sticks are great.

I have used 9’ Ugly Sticks for years. They have stood up very well and are easy to rig, use, and land your catch. However I also have a couple of 10’6 rods and it is definitely nicer to catch a big fish on those. The longer rod has more spring and I think is more forgiving with any reeling errors.
Landing and rigging are a bit more of a challenge with the longer rod.
Certainly when we fish for sockeye the shorter Ugly Sticks are great.
Which model of ugly

I don’t see it on their web site. Maybe they don’t make any more. Next time on the boat will grab the model number and length. It could be 9’ 6” too.

Hi HM, are the shimano's also good for rainbow and lakers using scotties ?

Yes for sure , although may want to go with the Shimano Taloras , I’ve recently bought the Luhr Jensen 9’ downrigger rods and really liking them as well , used the Taloras for years....

Finally got to the boat to have a look at the rods. They are Ugly Stik model BWD 1101 9' 0" and work great in the downriggers. Have had 2 of them maybe 15 years with no issues. Think I paid under $100 each.
However don't see them on their website so maybe not made anymore. Might still be a few around.
They are great for Sockeye fishing when you have lots of rods.

http://www.philsoutdoorworld1.com/s...y_Stik_Bigwater_Rod_BWD110190_BWD1101_90.html

Thx Sir Reel, I'll put my order in to Santa, he'll have some in stock ... haha !

It's all personal preference, some people prefer a 9ft or shorter rod some prefer the longer rods. I find the longer rods seem to be more sensitive you can feel the lightest tap especially with a cork handle. Short rod with a foam handle is a no go for myself the strikes and fight are muffled. If you haven't fished a lot you may not notice it but spend some time on the water with a decent 10'6 med light action rod with a cork handle especially mooching and then try a 9ft with a foam type handle you will feel the difference right away.

If your an animal on the reel and horse the fish probably not a great option for you.

It's all personal preference, some people prefer a 9ft or shorter rod some prefer the longer rods. I find the longer rods seem to be more sensitive you can feel the lightest tap especially with a cork handle. Short rod with a foam handle is a no go for myself the strikes and fight are muffled. If you haven't fished a lot you may not notice it but spend some time on the water with a decent 10'6 med light action rod with a cork handle especially mooching and then try a 9ft with a foam type handle you will feel the difference right away.

If your an animal on the reel and horse the fish probably not a great option for you.

Thx for sharing ur opinion UclueletCharters. I've been looking for the perfect rod that would meet ur spec of medium with light action with no success. Who makes ur rods ? My fenwick eagle steelhead rod dragged a 10" trout around for 1/2 hour as we didn't see any action on the rod. I'm looking for a rod better suited to trolling buck tails with 2 oz weight and 300' of line out back.
I'm also looking for a mooching rod to use on the downrigger with Apex lures and plugs for larger trout. Any salt water suggestions that would apply on Okanagan lake ?
Thx again for sharing ur knowledge.

No regrets, I should have called it light weight rod a medium with a very soft tip with a cork handle,I like the Fenwicks myself.

Back