2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one else heard , the gov't is going to "CHIP SEAL " the Bamfield road starting immediately , check out Global News ! In a word " WOW "

we will see what immediate means exactly.. as most of you know chip sealing is a great smoothness bandaid, but, to make the road safer would mean eliminating or reducing the single lane sections, which would actually make it "safer". chip sealing and paving will only speed the idiots up. (white ford leases)

Very good news and hopefully they will deal with some of the nasty corners that require substantial upgrades.I am almost positive where the bus went in was exactly the same real narrow bad corner I hit this summer where the soft shoulder almost drove me into a 20' drop off. I was respecting the road at the time in my white ford pick up, not leased.

Very good news and hopefully they will deal with some of the nasty corners that require substantial upgrades.I am almost positive where the bus went in was exactly the same real narrow bad corner I hit this summer where the soft shoulder almost drove me into a 20' drop off. I was respecting the road at the time in my white ford pick up, not leased.

I was referring to the countless forestry trucks that constantly rip that road. sorry if you own a ford. lol

I was referring to the countless forestry trucks that constantly rip that road. sorry if you own a ford. lol
Yah, I know, I know and a 2004 6.0 litre to boot. Touch wood no issues too date but that's another long topic on another thread.
So true on the forestry trucks as there was a lot of them on the road that particular day, around a shift change I guessed.
They must know the road real well or someone or something is patiently waiting for them at home.

It will depend on the quality of the chip seal if it’s done good it will be like a paved road. If it’s done bad the bottom of your boat will be painted with asphalt that you will never be able to get off. If there is heavy loggin traffic it won’t last, it will ravel in no time.

Last edited:
Only in Canada would a province pay to build a road to another nation.:(

Horgan should have met with the University of Victoria and told them not to travel the road at night. I know I do not.

That’s what I said. The university shouldn’t be sending buses with students at night. They should be leaving in the am. Myself I don’t mind traveling it at night. Less traffic, just have to watch for the graders when their working.:rolleyes:

Travelled that road at night plenty of times this season.... if you drive accordingly to the conditions it is in, then it’s fine. Yes it’s a ****** road, potholes,washboard, blind corners, one lane sections, etc etc....... still can’t teach common sense or fix stupid. Leave the road how it is, or say goodbye to life as we know it in bamfield and the nook.

there are some strange insurance things happening now with the bus companies. some have it for the road , others have stopped.
Francis Barkley has been doing some charters for the University.

get yourself a mini avet , light rod, set up and try some bottom fishing.. what a blast. lings over now:cool:
time for prawns and black bombers.

Hi all,

I’m planning a trip for August 2020 and was hoping for a bit of local knowledge regarding getting to bamfield. I’ve got a 16’ k&c with reliable main motor, kicker and gps. Will it be a problem to run the inlet from Alberni? Is there generally strong winds in the afternoon that I should plan to avoid? I feel like I’d rather avoid the road if possible.

We’re a group of young fathers looking forward to a weekend away!

thanks in advance

Hi all,

I’m planning a trip for August 2020 and was hoping for a bit of local knowledge regarding getting to bamfield. I’ve got a 16’ k&c with reliable main motor, kicker and gps. Will it be a problem to run the inlet from Alberni? Is there generally strong winds in the afternoon that I should plan to avoid? I feel like I’d rather avoid the road if possible.

thanks in advance
Strong winds at namint bay most days from 1-30 pm till later in the day, 4 ft wind chop, i have done it many times in 17 ft boat, not fun but it can be done, best way to avoid it is travelling the inlet in early am, watch for logs as they are all over the place other then that its a nice boat ride

Hi all,

thanks in advance

for years we would catch a ferry after work and sleep in the lot, order pizza, and get a first light start. safe and calm.

Hi all,

You will be fine if you run the inlet in the mornings. I would recommend doing it prior to 11 AM as the thermal winds can kick up early some days in mid summer. Keep an eye on weather reports for Port Alberni. The strongest thermal winds occur when it is hot in Port and cooler out in Barkley Sound. Also remember to have the usual safety equipment on board including VHF. I once rescued a family who were unable to tell anyone they were in big trouble in heavy wind chop in the inlet because they had no VHF, flares etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back