Leader length for spoons

Different lengths for different spoons or what’s working in the area your fishing...... there is no 1 length that’s perfect for everything IMO. I run longer leaders on the westcoast and shorter leaders in the Vancouver/SOG area. Also depends on what spoons I’m running as well.... some need to be a certain length/speed to get the right action..... lots of variables..... good luck hope this helps LOL

So basically what I have learned is to go from anywhere form 30" to 10 ft. Cleared my confusion up totally. LOL
My two cents:
The size of spoon is directly proportional to my favourite length of leader. Coho Killers / AP Sandlance (small) - 4ft. 5" AP Herring Spoon - 6 feet
Shorter leaders in the winter as the feeders are less likely to spook, in my experience, and the flasher adds some more action. Small spoons: 3 feet, Large spoons 4 feet.

Ball park 6ft if you go to long with your leader its a pain to get your fish into the net, with rod bend and a flasher bottomed out at the tip of your rod the fish can lay just out of reach lol. There's no set length, speed trolled, current, specie your targeting varying length could influence more strikes, maybe :) Trolling speeds are more important in my opinion.

Ok so how about that trolling speed thing...just suitable to spin the **** out of that spoon and stay ahead of the dogfish? Full disclosure I totally suck with spoons and plugs.

Cool that's the zone I troll bait and hoochies at closer to 2.5 sog...if the weather holds I'm going to give it a shot on Saturday.

I am with Dan the Man and Rockfish. 6-8 feet leader length. Limiting factor is netting the fish easily. I believe longer leaders and 18 lb cannon balls that hang straighter have greatly improved my success rate winter fishing.

Okay, I'm going to throw an alternative idea out there that we use almost exclusively and effectively. A couple of the guide boats noticed early July when we were in Nootka.
Our flashers are connected directly to our downriggers with a 6' length of 100# mono. Then off the backside of the flasher is 18 to 24" of 80# mono to the release clip.
The rods have flouro leaders 30-50" to whatever we are using (bait, lures etc.) doesn't really matter much because we can adjust the length between the flasher and lure at the release clip.

Benefits; once you set your depth, tighten a bend into the rod and you can watch the flasher action "pump" the rod tip (looks like you have a little shaker hooked) Now if that pumping stops, you either have a little fish or your gear has been fouled with seaweed/jellies/whatever. This is what the guides noticed, they though we were missing hookups. Any decent size fish will pull free of the release because again the flasher is not on your rod line which makes the last point. Your fighting a fish with nothing between you and it.

6' between ball and flasher is long enough to allow the flasher a full range of motion and 100# mono wont tangle, 18" to the clip is short enough to transmit motion to the lure/bait. The combo is long enough to clip in while the ball stays safely in the water.

If you want to go "dummy flasher route just clip in with a full more pulls out and the flasher wont move the lure.

Okay, I'm going to throw an alternative idea out there that we use almost exclusively and effectively. A couple of the guide boats noticed early July when we were in Nootka.
Our flashers are connected directly to our downriggers with a 6' length of 100# mono. Then off the backside of the flasher is 18 to 24" of 80# mono to the release clip.
The rods have flouro leaders 30-50" to whatever we are using (bait, lures etc.) doesn't really matter much because we can adjust the length between the flasher and lure at the release clip.

Benefits; once you set your depth, tighten a bend into the rod and you can watch the flasher action "pump" the rod tip (looks like you have a little shaker hooked) Now if that pumping stops, you either have a little fish or your gear has been fouled with seaweed/jellies/whatever. This is what the guides noticed, they though we were missing hookups. Any decent size fish will pull free of the release because again the flasher is not on your rod line which makes the last point. Your fighting a fish with nothing between you and it.

6' between ball and flasher is long enough to allow the flasher a full range of motion and 100# mono wont tangle, 18" to the clip is short enough to transmit motion to the lure/bait. The combo is long enough to clip in while the ball stays safely in the water.

If you want to go "dummy flasher route just clip in with a full more pulls out and the flasher wont move the lure.

Have tried this but found the flasher tugging on the loaded rod over time would cause “ pop offs” especially at winter depths. I was mostly trying to find a way to fish hootchies / squirts with out a flasher in line.

Have tried this but found the flasher tugging on the loaded rod over time would cause “ pop offs” especially at winter depths. I was mostly trying to find a way to fish hootchies / squirts with out a flasher in line.

Forgot to add, we use the pro troll II release with the pin that snaps in. The regular squeeze style will pop at deeper depths. I've ran this as deep as 220' I have different color release clips pre-set for different depths.

Forgot to add, we use the pro troll II release with the pin that snaps in. The regular squeeze style will pop at deeper depths. I've ran this as deep as 220' I have different color release clips pre-set for different depths.
Good to know

@EPS you are confident the flasher actually rotates with the clip etc attached behind it? Or are you getting a dodger type wobble action from side to side? Pretty cool if you're getting the full rotation of the flasher with all that gear behind it!

@EPS you are confident the flasher actually rotates with the clip etc attached behind it? Or are you getting a dodger type wobble action from side to side? Pretty cool if you're getting the full rotation of the flasher with all that gear behind it!

I was attaching the clip leader to the rear flasher swivel using a bearing swivel as well and it appeared it was rotating normally, but who knows at depth ? My biggest issue was I felt the flasher never really rotated / snapped about as much as a standard inline setup due the pressure being pulled from the rear.

It gets the full action, we had to play with the lengths in front and behind a bit to get it right for us, as well as the tension on the rods. high quality swivels and snaps so you can swap your colors out easily.

Back