Looking to buy a BIG digital smoker. Any advice?

Rain City

Crew Member
My wife finally made me get rid of the coffin. To be honest I was tired of messing around with it anyways. Someone picked it from craigslist so I'm happy. I want to buy something that I can set and forget. I hear the pucks suck though. I was using chips and dust in my old smoker and was quite happy with the flavor. I don't mind setting up the smoke trays myself but I want something that clean looking, insulated and maintains a consistent heat automatically. I don't want a grill combo thing I still want something with at least 5 or 6 racks. Appreciate the help.

I saw that you mentioned ‘digital ‘ and so I automatically thought of the electric units.

I have a charcoal smoker ( for briskets, pork shoulders, etc ) and an electric smoker ( cheese, nuts, etc)

Gasser reviews:
https://brobbq.com/best-propane-gas-smoker-reviews/
I have a primo xl for doing a single brisket. Love it. Looking for a ribs and salmon smoker. Want to be able to do 4 or 5 whole fish.

The ****** thing about pellet smokers is they dont seem to cook under 150 degrees farenheit. None that I'm aware of anyway. That's pretty hot for fish imo

My buddy is a gmg rep. He suggested that I try moving the temp probe closer to the fire pot (pellet grill) for smoking fish. I didn't like the idea of messing with a perfectly good smoker though so I'll still be using my vertical master built for fish.

Last edited:
My buddy is a gmg rep. He suggested that I try moving the temp probe closer to the fire pot (pellet grill) for smoking fish. I didn't like the idea of messing with a perfectly good smoker though so I'll still be using my vertical master built for fish.
I have two pellet trays that produce next to no heat. I could just warm the thing up then shut it down and throw those in there. That's all I used to use in my home built one. Propane was just for heat.

But its electric..... build your own not hard

But its electric..... build your own not hard
No it's pellet fueled. But now that i was up all night reading reviews I'm not that sold. I really don't have time for another project or I would.

Back