Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

merrittboy1

Been using an old 9 ft rod for last couple of years. Just like it, works for me and makes netting easier. What are others thoughts? Most of the rods I see on other boats are 10.5. Am I missing something? Longer rods better overall? Opinions?

I've found 9 fters much easier when netting solo as I run 7 ft. leaders when rolling anchovies.The rods I use are TFO downrigger rods that have a great parabolic action(bend consistantly through the handle) and have never felt outgunned using them for big springs.If your on a bigger boat and fish with other people all the time,a 10.5 fter would be fine,but after loosing a couple of nice fish not being able to slide them into the net,I switched to 9 fters and would never go back now.

I have been using a 9ft Sea King for almost 3 seasons. Catches fish. Have a longer Convergence but stick with Sea King. It has duct tape for knob, eyes are crooked, lol. I found out Canadian Tire sells them for 40 bucks. Catches fish, lol.

9 Ft Shimano TDR's all around. Only downrigger rods we use, handles any fish in BC waters, easier to net a fish, good action and enough backbone. I hate using my buddies 10.6 rods, seem so unwieldly long and does make every thing more difficult. Even storing the dam things is harder. 9 ft for me all the way.

HM

10.5 all day long. I don't put rods in the Scotty; it stays in my hands when I fish. The extra length allows me to guide the line through the weeds when trolling to minimize the clothes-line effect and if I get a screamer who decides to go under the boat or cut across the bow, I can clear the radio Antena and radar arch or clear the mainline from my outboard leg with the longer rod if I have to.

When netting or releasing, the rod goes on the deck and the tip leans on the gunnel. I have the leader in one hand, the net or gaff in the other. If the fish isn't ready and takes off, rod goes back into my hand. A single action knucklebuster reel with zero drag (rim control) makes all that very easy. Just make sure the leader doesn't wrap the tip of the rod and you're good

9 foot Shimano TDR’s when I fish solo or with a guest. With my son, who’s a pro, we go with long rods. Not a huge difference. The long ones are a little more fun to fight fish with. But the shorter ones are so much easier to use when netting a fish alone.

9ft Trophy rods. I bought a 10.5 HMX, used it once and sold it. I can lay the 9ft rods on the cabin floor intact, close and lock the cabin door. Easier to deal with when fishing. I have used 7ft Fenwick rout rods before and liked them as well. Customers just got sore forearms with them because there isn't as much leverage so went to 9ft.

I heard 12' Sage 4120B's were being used on some BIG charter boats.
Come on Eddie, let's here from ya.

9 Ft Shimano TDR's all around. Only downrigger rods we use, handles any fish in BC waters, easier to net a fish, good action and enough backbone. I hate using my buddies 10.6 rods, seem so unwieldly long and does make every thing more difficult. Even storing the dam things is harder. 9 ft for me all the way.

HM

Hi HM, are the shimano's also good for rainbow and lakers using scotties ?

I do not use them on my lake boat. They are too long, too heavy and too big for rainbows and Lakers for me. I do have scotty downriggers on my lund lake boat. I use 7 ft med action rhino rods. Many different reels, some with 10 lb mono others with 15 lb tuff line. Max depth for trolling is about 100 ft for lakers early sept. Not sure if a smaller, lighter shimano TDR is available.

HM

10.5 all day long. I don't put rods in the Scotty; it stays in my hands when I fish. The extra length allows me to guide the line through the weeds when trolling to minimize the clothes-line effect and if I get a screamer who decides to go under the boat or cut across the bow, I can clear the radio Antena and radar arch or clear the mainline from my outboard leg with the longer rod if I have to.

When netting or releasing, the rod goes on the deck and the tip leans on the gunnel. I have the leader in one hand, the net or gaff in the other. If the fish isn't ready and takes off, rod goes back into my hand. A single action knucklebuster reel with zero drag (rim control) makes all that very easy. Just make sure the leader doesn't wrap the tip of the rod and you're good

You hold the rod while in the rigger the whole time your fishing?

Or he has massive pipes from holding the rods all day long.
Lol yeah no doubt. I used to have the very rare guest that would want to hold the rod while it was in the rigger... I would always appease them and after 2 or 3 minutes their arms were dead it was in the rod holder. :p

I do not use them on my lake boat. They are too long, too heavy and too big for rainbows and Lakers for me. I do have scotty downriggers on my lund lake boat. I use 7 ft med action rhino rods. Many different reels, some with 10 lb mono others with 15 lb tuff line. Max depth for trolling is about 100 ft for lakers early sept. Not sure if a smaller, lighter shimano TDR is available.

HM

Thx HM, is rhino a make or a model name ?

Back