Possible closures to fishing, MPA’s

The consultation process did not occur and if it did it’s a joke. I think it was in the middle of summer they asked for our input as well...when everyone literally has zero spare time.

Also believe the Scott island National wildlife area already is an MPA. But one that allows rec fishing and specific types of commercial
Fishing (no trawling for example)

Last edited:
The consultation process did not occur and if it did it’s a joke. I think it was in the middle of summer they asked for our input as well...when everyone literally has zero spare time.

Also believe the Scott island National wildlife area already is an MPA. But one that allows rec fishing and specific types of commercial
True that about the Scott Islands. I looked it up here; https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...ife-areas/locations/scott-islands-marine.html
It is 11,546 km2 of marine environment.
The marine component of Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area is 3,500 km2; https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/gw...~/media/1D538D4AB9364FB9B3E69E9BD4E810C9.ashx
Hecate Strait/QC Sound Glass Sponge Reef MPA is 2410 km2; https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...arlottesoundglassspongereefsmarineprotec.html
That is a total of 17,456 km2 already under protection within the boundaries of the 102,000 km2 Northern Shelf Bioregion (NSB), aka PNCIMA; http://www.pncima.org/site/about-pncima/ten-things-you-should-know-about-pncima.html
Looks to me like 17 per cent of the NSB is already under protection. Not too far to go.

Last edited:
Why would that necessarily have to be the case?
Also, really good questions in your post #61, OBD. I hope you get some answers.

It shouldn’t be but they are already trying. See the seawest link previously posted. They have already picked out some areas they’re looking at making into more MPA’s

It shouldn’t be but they are already trying. See the seawest link previously posted. They have already picked out some areas they’re looking at making into more MPA’s
Did you mean searun’s link? I don’t see a seawest link.
Also, there are approximately 2625 additional km2 under RCA protection in the NSB. That is another 2.5 per cent under protection if RCA’s became / counted as MPA’s.

We have a tanker Ban and a drilling moratorium. Why don’t they count that.

I think we know they have an agenda, killer whales

Let’s say you’re right about their killer whale agenda. Which areas In the NSB would be important to protect for killer whale Conservation. I would assume protecting ‘Designated Critical Habitat’ (DCH) would be important. SeaSketch has a layer for that. It shows lower QC Strait and Johnstone Strait. There are already some RCAs in there as well as Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. Those could be designated MPA’s. Additional area could be set aside within that DCH without having any major negative impact on existing fishing opportunity if identified by the rec sector for consideration.

Kinda getting into the weeds with this but just trying to get to 25 per cent. I have a hunch that is what the commercial sector will be doing in their Advice Process meetings.

I agree that the MPA process can be done in away that would be beneficial to everyone. It’s just hard to believe when some of it apparently is already a done deal and from my understanding our sector was
Not invited to the table.

Bingo. You guessed northern killer whales.

Look put yourself in governments shoes. What is the best bang for buck with an MPA? Solving multiple issues at once. Reconciliation, threatened killer whales, limiting tanker traffic for future oil/gas projects, and other environmental groups concerns. This thing is wrapped into one to satisfy all the groups.

The fishery is just last on the list unfortunately that is why we need people to stop shrugging it off like it isn't a big deal. It is big threat to our areas, and it is not backed up science. It is backed up for Ottawa to score brownie points for favors for votes. That is why we should be against it.

If it was not a big deal why are the commercial fisheries having long meetings about it? Look at the meeting list? This is a big deal in my opinion, and I believe those areas in purple defined on that map are threatened to be locked out from access to us. In the end for no reason.

Last edited:
Does the SFAB have a copy of the "The draft network design"

I emailed thoes people for one but i don't have a lot of pull

BC is already at 24.7% protected. BC will be over 30% before the northern region is done while the east coast sits at 6%. As usual the west is getting screwed.

are we or did we vote for it? Islands gone NDP and green for several elections in a row. The greens and NDP want to protect even more. Isn't the Liberals just giving the electorate what they want?

I view like the Pender SRKW closure, Isn't this what the residents asked for it to be protected and turned into a park?

If I was the Liberals I would turn Elizabeth Mays riding into a big MPA it's what people want isn't it?

You miss this? The SFI received money. I thought the SFAB was the correct venue to discuss this?
The commercial sector seems to be having a lot of meetings with their money?

The Marine Planning Team (MPT) and the Commercial Fishing Caucus (CFC) received funds to engage with the commercial fishing sector; and the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) received funds to engage with the recreational fishing sector.

It was already shared on here that our sector has limited access so far. So what are your ideas, and are you going to fund the effort? I think saying people aren't concerned is a stretch.

Did you have any input into this yet?
Meetings etc?
Are you a member of the SFI?

Back