2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of berried ladies out there now guys. Prawning isn't really worth it I'd say. Packing my gear up until after they spawn now. Threw back more than half today.

This is my first fall/winter fishing season, just wondering when does the fishing start to pick up again?

This is my first fall/winter fishing season, just wondering when does the fishing start to pick up again?

I wouldn't say fishing for the winter/feeder springs ever really "picks up" but if you put your time out there you may scratch a few up these days. I would say you may see it start to "pick up" in March as if memory serves me correct it started to do this year; but remember we're talking about salmon.....you just never know.

As has been said, cover water, find the bait and generally you're fishing deep down near bottom. Howe Sound is generally where you want to be; West side of Bowen, Grace or if you want to make the run up to Defense on the north end of Anvil. Some do just try in English Bay as well.

If you do get a legal they are damn fine eating when fresh. :cool:

Last edited:
why is windy.com so often inaccurate? I find environment canada to be accurate as a short term forecast and ok for long term within the next 2 days or so... however, I quite often find windy to be way off. For example, as of right now, the environment canada marine forecast is showing a current reading of 2knot winds at halibut bank but windy is showing almost 7knot winds... What do you guys find to be the best predictor of wind conditions within a 2 day window?

All those sites use computer generated models based on data that comes from environment Canada. I had a 35 year EC meteorologist tell me that at a Canadian Power Squadron weather course I took. Great course if you have time.
I believe that all of them err on the high wind side from a safety aspect.
Environment Canada may have a gale warning tomorrow in the strait of a Georgia with 30 knot winds.
There might be a 70% chance of that but also a 10% chance of glass calm. You would not want the forecast to be for no winds.
The best thing to do is to look at multiple forecasts and of course current conditions and reports from members is best.

All those sites use computer generated models based on data that comes from environment Canada. I had a 35 year EC meteorologist tell me that at a Canadian Power Squadron weather course I took. Great course if you have time.
I believe that all of them err on the high wind side from a safety aspect.
Environment Canada may have a gale warning tomorrow in the strait of a Georgia with 30 knot winds.
There might be a 70% chance of that but also a 10% chance of glass calm. You would not want the forecast to be for no winds.
The best thing to do is to look at multiple forecasts and of course current conditions and reports from members is best.
I always check windy as well as environment Canada be crappy make the tow of the boat all the way there and its crappy and cant get out or a good launch if its crappy in Georgia strait is the sunset marina launch up in howe sound

If anyone’s heading back in for the day up the south arm I just heard at sandheads there’s a 42’ boat dead in the water anchored just south of breakwall. Believe they’re hoping for a tow back into river.

Last edited:
last year I recall a few times where there were quite a number of large prawns with eggs on underside. We try to sort them out as quickly as possible in order to release back into the water. When released back into the water they never seem to do all that well... Looks like the may flap their tail once or twice max... Then they just don't move and slowly drift down under the boat. Do the prawns that are release have a good chance at surviving? I've heard from a commercial fishermen a while back that prawns pulled from the deep dont have a very good shot at surviving when released back into the water. If this is the case, is there anything that can be done to increase their survival rates when released back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back