Cowichan River

winephart

Crew Member
Just wondering if the Cowichan River is open? According to the regs it appears to be closed from Marie canyon down. There is no info in the in=season changes as to whether it will be open for any type of salmon fishing. In previous years we seen openings and announcements before this time.

First time I've seen a river open for 4 days a week. Anybody know the back story? must be push back coming from somewhere.

They were getting push back as the run must be good and other flows are open to c & r and yes when have we ever seen a 4 day a week opening.

Just is so random it makes me think they literally are spinning a wheel that makes decisions. Push back I mean people are always bitching and complaint about something what made them jump in this case.

Usaully the first week of Nov. they announce an opening for Coho and if the chum run gets its escapement they'll open that up for either 2 or 4 fish a day.The coho opening is always just 1 fish per day.

Do they still have the counting fence in? Is this a real data based decision or a political one?
If real data based, they should release the data. Just saying!

Anybody lose a pair of waders? Found some on the side of the hwy. near Victoria. Northbound. That would kind of ruined a fishing trip.

Seems like DFO has opened the river for catch and release salmon fishing but no retention of any species. No explanation of why ?

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1152-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Coho - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Coho Salmon Angling Opportunities - Effective November 8, 2019

Effective 00:01 hours November 8, 2019 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, the
daily limit for Coho Salmon is one (1) per day, in the following portion of the
Cowichan River:

-from 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the white triangle boundary sign located in
Sandy Pool Regional Park.

As per FN1130, all other salmon species remain non-retention.

Notes:

Please be reminded the minimum size for Coho is 25 cm in non-tidal waters.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.
Anglers are further reminded that intentionally (willfully) foul-hooking fish
or attempting to foul hook fish is illegal and that non-compliance may result
in closure. (Foul hook is defined as: hooking a fish in any part of its body
other than the mouth).

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and
Coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at 1-800-465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-866-431-FISH (3474).

Variation Order: 2019-RFQ-0612B

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1152
Sent November 9, 2019 at 20:30
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

Glad to see an opening but sad to see a lot of water closed from sandy down. Hopefully it all opens up on the 15 I would hate to see this as the new precedent it will close most of my go to spots for coho.

Likewise here,Carmanah.Been fishing the lower section for most of my life and haven't seen an opening like this before.Maybe to protect the chum this year whoes numbers are low and mostly spawn in the lower section?

Saw 3 boats out yesterday but don't know if they went to Vimy ? I did see 2 boats go down the new side channel at the Washout so it is doable with this height of water anyways. If the water drops i hope its still doable with out touching.

Boxing Day use to be the big kick-off day for steelheading on the Cowichan. I miss the days of seeing a dozen people lining the rip rap below silver bridge, winter mist, pale green water and frosted cottonwoods. A quick fish between family gatherings, one hour after high tide. I'm sure a lot of use cut our teeth there before exploring more remote flow.

Back