Status
Not open for further replies.
So what this is saying that with all that glacial melt we've gone up in salinity a bit....weird...and water temperatures havent really fluctuated that much? Forget Mars let's just build underwater.
Very hard to read this by eye. It really needs to be plotted on a graph. However, in my opinion you may be right about salinity not showing much of a trend. No surprise there as that has not been reported a great deal in the scientific literature. What has been recorded everywhere is rising acidity, which is not recorded here and sea surface temperature rising. I can clearly observe a small but steady rise in sea temperature, especially in June, July and August. Plot those on a graph and take a look......

Very hard to read this by eye. It really needs to be plotted on a graph. However, in my opinion you may be right about salinity not showing much of a trend. No surprise there as that has not been reported a great deal in the scientific literature. What has been recorded everywhere is rising acidity, which is not recorded here and sea surface temperature rising. I can clearly observe a small but steady rise in sea temperature, especially in June, July and August. Plot those on a graph and take a look......

It’s all graphed In this report

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/344919.pdf

Out at Pedder today. Trolled for a couple of hours in the morning and nothing but a little shaker. On the hook by noon and my buddy landed 1 dog, 1 ratfish and then around 2pm he landed a 30 lb hali while all I had was one little nibble. Lucky I had my buddy today. Picked up 5 nice crab on the way in. Great day on the water.

Found this yesterday in a kelp bed outside of Pedder bay. Looks like it's a commercial set-up but markings are not clear enough to make out who own's it. Here for pickup if someone on here owns it.

IMG_6486.JPG

Out this morning for 4 hours off the bluffs. Just one 7 pound hatchery spring that took a spoon at 70ft. Lots of small springs that don't show on the lines...so had to check the gear often. Very little sign of bait and covered all the way down to Otter Point. We did get some huge crab in the pots so that was good. A little cold early on this morning but it turned into a beauty day for November. Flat and sunny.

Out off of Pedder today. Tried for hali for a couple of hours but no luck,,,just dogfish. Trolled around the can for a couple of hours. We picked up a couple of small springs 48 and 52cm. Released a couple more in the same range. On the bottom near the can in 120ft of water. Cop car and coho killers. Short bite period at 2:30pm.

Was in Whirl today from 10 til 1 ish and got a whole bunch of shakers, 4 undersized lingcod and 1 rockfish (must have been had my gear fairly close to bottom I guess). was using white ace fly and white coho killer. all shakers came at 5o-80 ft, wasn't getting anything except lingcod near bottom so came up with one line to check out arches at 50 to 80. Was hoping there might be a larger one in with the smaller ones but no such luck. fished rest of day with one low and one higher, with lower one anywhere from 90 to 115 ft. tried to follow 120 foot contour but don't know the area that well yet so got into deeper water and hit some pinnacles a few times. Nice day out there :)

Was in Whirl today from 10 til 1 ish and got a whole bunch of shakers, 4 undersized lingcod and 1 rockfish (must have been had my gear fairly close to bottom I guess). was using white ace fly and white coho killer. all shakers came at 5o-80 ft, wasn't getting anything except lingcod near bottom so came up with one line to check out arches at 50 to 80. Was hoping there might be a larger one in with the smaller ones but no such luck. fished rest of day with one low and one higher, with lower one anywhere from 90 to 115 ft. tried to follow 120 foot contour but don't know the area that well yet so got into deeper water and hit some pinnacles a few times. Nice day out there :)
Always fish the bottom for winter springs

Ya get your gear right down on the bottom. Let it down till you feel bottom, then bring it up 5' or so. It's forgiving in Whirl. Bottom 20' is where you want to be. I may be in 120' of water, but I'll actually have 135-155' of cable out with blowback and all. Try increasing the speed up a bit too if you're picking up lots of little ling.

Ya get your gear right down on the bottom. Let it down till you feel bottom, then bring it up 5' or so. It's forgiving in Whirl. Bottom 20' is where you want to be. I may be in 120' of water, but I'll actually have 135-155' of cable out with blowback and all. Try increasing the speed up a bit too if you're picking up lots of little ling.
I like to let the weight drop and bang the bottom several times, it seems to get their attention.

Agree what is said above. Sometimes I have caught them shallow in winter... That area right nwo is usually pretty good, but heard it is a little slower than normal.

Thanks for all the input, some great advice. Can't wait to get back out there and get it right to bottom then up 5 ft. There were a couple boats spending considerable time trolling west side of Fraser Is on way back to Cheanuh but I had run out of time so will maybe give that a try as well next time. Hoping for the next lower wind day and will report back.

Thanks for all the input, some great advice. Can't wait to get back out there and get it right to bottom then up 5 ft. There were a couple boats spending considerable time trolling west side of Fraser Is on way back to Cheanuh but I had run out of time so will maybe give that a try as well next time. Hoping for the next lower wind day and will report back.
Despite the encouragement by many to fish "right on the bottom" and to "bounce the bottom" it does have the disadvantage that you will pick up many small rockfish and tiny ling cod. They are unavoidable and a huge nuisance, especially off Sooke. I find I need to fish about 15' above bottom to reduce their constant attention. Note that you will have to fish deeper on the rigger than you think, because of blowback. So if in 120' of water, set rigger to 120'. Trolling at 2.5 knots your lure will then be at 105' or so. Sure bounce the bottom once or twice if you think it works, but if you leave it there for any length of time then up will come a little rockfish on your next lure check, for sure!:(

Perfect day for halibut fishing. Virtually no current, sunshine and warm. But not a bite, not even a dogfish, at my usual spot which has been pretty productive. Doesn’t matter: beautiful day to be on the water.

Same for us yesterday. Not a bite of anything. Just a sight breeze. Wasn't paying attention and drifted straight back over and hooked the anchor lines with one of the rods. You know how out of shape you are when you have pull the chain and anchor by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back