2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last kick at the can this afternoon off Esquimalt. One bite out towards gravel pit in 80' of water. Was marking tons of fish and bait in the area near bottom. That's it for this year. Was hoping for more coho to show but guess they are done.

Got out off Esq again hoping for better results from 8-1pm. Only 1 other boat out fishing so all my go too spots were avail. We were in 150 ft and marking tons of fish, I mean solid from top to bottom and looking like feeding on bait. Not a sniff, mixed up bait,spoons,rubber etc the just as the bite was about to come on we get sided by a US coast guard doing checks with rcmp. All went good but 1 dang barb wasn’t completely bent over. I was like what.... I pinch em all, well they were pretty good and gave me a warning and headed away. My buddy later got boarded by the breakwater with full compliance. Make sure your waterproof flashlights batteries are good. Anyway the fishing report is again the furry black guy with the white stripe. Still a beauty day

Attachments

• B0CA4FD2-4FA9-4850-B3F0-4198141340A6.jpeg
    B0CA4FD2-4FA9-4850-B3F0-4198141340A6.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 136
  • FD7DB447-68BD-46C8-BBFF-CBF61A1E7E84.jpeg
    FD7DB447-68BD-46C8-BBFF-CBF61A1E7E84.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 132
Got out off Esq again hoping for better results from 8-1pm. Only 1 other boat out fishing so all my go too spots were avail. We were in 150 ft and marking tons of fish, I mean solid from top to bottom and looking like feeding on bait. Not a sniff, mixed up bait,spoons,rubber etc the just as the bite was about to come on we get sided by a US coast guard doing checks with rcmp. All went good but 1 dang barb wasn’t completely bent over. I was like what.... I pinch em all, well they were pretty good and gave me a warning and headed away. My buddy later got boarded by the breakwater with full compliance. Make sure your waterproof flashlights batteries are good. Anyway the fishing report is again the furry black guy with the white stripe. Still a beauty day
Hi thanks for the reminder I will check the regulations don’t think I have a flashlight on board.
I have had trouble getting barbs crimped enough so I have been using a Dremel on the barb and while I am at sharpen the hook

Hi thanks for the reminder I will check the regulations don’t think I have a flashlight on board.
I have had trouble getting barbs crimped enough so I have been using a Dremel on the barb and while I am at sharpen the hook
You can use a small vise for doing your Siwash hooks or Octopus hooks (have one set up in my basement fish room), works great. A good needlenose plier works for the trebles but you may have to do them a couple times and inspect carefully to see that you did a good job.
...Rob

Check out island outfitters freshwater reports too. They list the recent stock numbers. I believe they loaded prospect lake with some nice ones
Thanks Stizzla some of my friends from the Haig Brown FFA did well there last week I went to Elk because of the short walk to the car as I Am waiting for another hip

We were targeting halibut.

Sorry if you missed my totally tongue in cheek joke!
"over 5 hours on the hook and he couldn't even catch one dogfish. Can't be much of a fisherman! "
Hali have been hard to come by in our area.
Congrats on your catch and if you want more doggies *** on over to Oak Bay!

Last edited:
Out for hali Sat from 12-3. Caught a small one around 10-15 lbs? Lots of dogs fish, maybe a dozen or more.

Stopped at constance for a quick troll. Lost the only hookup when it became airborne and spit the hook. Looked like a decent size. Maybe 5 lbs

JL

Beauty day on the water but no halibut tickles. One dungy and 4 red rock for 4 traps. Lots of small and female giving us hope for the future. My son screamed with joy as we brought in the crabs and is pretty keen on dog fish play by play that we will relive for the next month or so.

Shifting to prawning and gulf island cruising, for the winter I think.

Fished off Oak Bay. Very little showing on the sounder, just a few patches of bait and the occasional fish mark. Jigged near Brodie Rock with Deep Stingers and just annoyed two rock fish. Same as above with crabs, undersize and female D's and rock crabs. Wonder where all those big soft shell crabs I let go a month ago ended up. I see there's a fisheries posting at the ramp stating it is illegal to pull traps a night due to poaching concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back