Promarine prawn puller

hello,

has anyone ever tried this product? ( See link below). Essentially its a drum of thin line that is used as opposed to the heavy weighted prawn line. As well the drum is powered by a cordless drill. I am tempted to buy one. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thank you in advance for your consideration and comments.

https://promarineproducts.com/produ...pro-thin-line-hauler-for-prawn-and-crab-traps
279 plus a 20 volt drill plus batteries and planned drill replacement. Looks neat but can not see it being cost efficient

hello,
has anyone ever tried this product? ( See link below). Essentially its a drum of thin line that is used as opposed to the heavy weighted prawn line. As well the drum is powered by a cordless drill. I am tempted to buy one. Does anyone have any experience with this product?
https://promarineproducts.com/produ...pro-thin-line-hauler-for-prawn-and-crab-traps

Looks like a good way to pull up those damn Dog Fish when fishing halibut.
Cheaper then an electric reel.
Wonder if it's legal??

Seems like a decent idea for a smaller boat / dinghy that doesn’t have a large battery source and a wide gunnel to mount a standard puller on but I can’t see pulling more than 2 sets on a battery. A less expensive alternative for the rookies I guess.

I would think that it would be pretty hard on a cordless drill. Two prawn traps are heavy and pulling at a low speed with lots of resistance is not what a cordless drill is designed to do. Cordless drills like to spin fast and little torque. Buy a couple good quality 20v drills throughout the year and the ace line hauler is looking like a good deal.

I like the thin line idea, though it might be tough on your hands. Otherwise it looks like a great way to burn up a few cordless drills,

fb

Seems like a good idea in theory but after crunching the numbers you're looking at 279 for the hauler plus you need a drill.. a cordless dewalt drill with 2 5Amh batteries will set you back 450 at home depot, and I'd be willing to bet you will be replacing that drill fairly often as I cannot see them standing up to that sort of abuse like Corey said plus the salt environment that they aren't designed to be in.. All that said the hauler and the drill will cost roughly 729 plus tax... You can get a brutus max torque for 579 at harbour chandler (even cheaper during there sales) and most boats already have batteries but if this was for a small aluminum boat you'd need a deep cycle battery which are around $150ish.. Which coincidentally comes out to $729 before tax.. (found it quite ironic the costs for both ended up being the same that actually wasn't intentional) In my opinion the ace line hauler will be better in every way and last longer and give you a more maintenance free experience.. Defiantly an interesting idea and could be a decent option for someone who doesn't go very often but at 279 for a wheel seems bit excessive to me.. Just my 2 cents though!

Michael

I saw these more as a way to spool the rope and having a compact bundle after using your real puller to get them up. But that's it. Otherwise duuuuuumb.

I saw these more as a way to spool the rope and having a compact bundle after using your real puller to get them up. But that's it. Otherwise duuuuuumb.
You gotta step up your engiNERDing. I booger welded these up out of scrap aluminum. Two 500’ spools fit into a 7 gallon bucket (taller than a regular bucket). These aren’t for pulling traps up but just for the line storage and no tangles. I had plans to make a bunch of these and refine the design; maybe sell them on here. But I got busy with other things. Maybe one day Scotty will see these and make a plastic version that is a bit more streamlined haha

Attachments

• 8CCCD875-0D6C-493C-B55C-3437B1311249.png
    8CCCD875-0D6C-493C-B55C-3437B1311249.png
    1,016 KB · Views: 308
  • 7484BDEB-8797-4D61-B257-6E9F6A26C524.png
    7484BDEB-8797-4D61-B257-6E9F6A26C524.png
    649.6 KB · Views: 288
  • AA428D12-70E6-4C24-9698-5EDC87CBB690.png
    AA428D12-70E6-4C24-9698-5EDC87CBB690.png
    707.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 3E4E5284-6503-4E3E-BE56-26F5E17F3369.png
    3E4E5284-6503-4E3E-BE56-26F5E17F3369.png
    691.4 KB · Views: 291
You gotta step up your engiNERDing. I booger welded these up out of scrap aluminum. Two 500’ spools fit into a 7 gallon bucket (taller than a regular bucket). These aren’t for pulling traps up but just for the line storage and no tangles. I had plans to make a bunch of these and refine the design; maybe sell them on here. But I got busy with other things. Maybe one day Scotty will see these and make a plastic version that is a bit more streamlined haha
Great idea... terrible welds :p

What did you use to wind the rope up onto the spools. Great idea for sure.

Oly

What did you use to wind the rope up onto the spools. Great idea for sure.

Oly
my plan was to have a knob that could spin freely like you would have on a paddle handle of a fishing reel. Something tiny is the key to fitting two 500’ reels in the bucket. But I couldn’t find anything that worked without sacrificing some reels for the knobs so I just used a bolt with some rigid pvc tubing that slips over top of the bolt and it’s loose enough that you can grab the pvc and rotate the spool around. Works pretty good but isn’t pretty by any means.

I cut off a portion of a hook bolt and mounted it to the middle of the spool to give something to hook the line onto before you start spooling it up as the line hauler brings it up

Attachments

• FAA2924A-9D53-426F-A5CC-418066638B59.png
    FAA2924A-9D53-426F-A5CC-418066638B59.png
    890.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 27D5E3B8-1405-4E14-A584-C6A51AD7F80B.png
    27D5E3B8-1405-4E14-A584-C6A51AD7F80B.png
    837 KB · Views: 127
hello,

My fishing buddy tried one as the rep was in trotac and sold him one. He returned it after one trip out. It killed 2 motors in his cheap drills and went through 2 of my batteries in my dewalt. The line was frayed after 1 use. The little arm barely reaches over the side of the boat so if drifting a minor amount, the line may touch the side of the boat. Overall a good idea, but needs more thought put into it as 1 trip out and it was proven it needs to go back to the drawing board and trotac returned it without issue. Go with a Ace Brutus line hauler.

Thank you all for putting in your comments. You helped make up my mind. Its a definite no.
All the best to everyone.
Hahaha, it was a definite “no” until I saw one on sale. So I couldn’t resist and tried it and its actually great. Yes, there were some spot on criticisms that Someone mentioned about the arm being too short so it rubs on the boat. Yes agree. But I solved that problem by using a 2x4 as a base and putting a roller on the end of it.
Perfect.

I did not burn out any drills or batteries.

I have been feasting a prawns ever since.

For those of us that fish out of small we have to improvise because an Ace Hauler is not practical.

Thank you for all your input, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Hahaha, it was a definite “no” until I saw one on sale. So I couldn’t resist and tried it and its actually great. Yes, there were some spot on criticisms that Someone mentioned about the arm being too short so it rubs on the boat. Yes agree. But I solved that problem by using a 2x4 as a base and putting a roller on the end of it.
Perfect.

I did not burn out any drills or batteries.

I have been feasting a prawns ever since.

For those of us that fish out of small we have to improvise because an Ace Hauler is not practical.

Thank you for all your input, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.
Got any other things your thinking of purchasing that we can trash and talk you out of!? Just kidding! Glad it’s working for you. There’s no way my 20v dewalt would pull up the monstrosity of gear I throw overboard.

Got any other things your thinking of purchasing that we can trash and talk you out of!? Just kidding! Glad it’s working for you. There’s no way my 20v dewalt would pull up the monstrosity of gear I throw overboard.
Hahahaha.... good one.
Yes, well the theory with “thin line” technology is that you dont need as heavy a set up as theres less drag on the trap line. I think this is true as long as there isnt any seaweed that hangs up on your line and drags the trap.
Otherwise it works fine.

Back