Jigging reel question - anti reverse

Fascinating the different preferences for jigging setups on here.

I like to keep it really light too. . .a 7' or 7'6" fast action blank and a good conventional baitcaster with 40 lb braid and a mono top shot. Like the Revo STX or Revo Inshore series reels. Recently tried the Diawa Coastal and it's nice enough. Just feather the thumb on the drop, hit em hard if the line piles up when it's falling. Back-reeling on the drop seems like it defeats the purpose of the jig having action on the drop, but I guess if it works, then stick with it. With that light rig you can jig all day, one hand action, and back troll the motor with the other hand to keep vertical as indicated, or drink a beer, or scratch your balls, or whatever,

fb

Back-reeling on the drop seems like it defeats the purpose of the jig having action on the drop, but I guess if it works, then stick with it. With that light rig you can jig all day, one hand action, and back troll the motor with the other hand to keep vertical as indicated, or drink a beer, or scratch your balls, or whatever,

fb
Well, I don't backreel DURING the jig, but if I'm drifting over structure, say, imagine me tapping my way along the bottom every little bit like a blind guy. I'll work the jig with the rod, say with a nine foot rod, I might get six feet of freefall just letting it fall the length of the rod, but then I'll frequently reel down a turn and make sure that when my rod tip is six inches off the water, I'm just touching bottom. Staying there I find easy if I can unwind five or six feet and just stay with the bottom if it gets deeper going over boulders and crevasses and so on.

It's probably worth mentioning that I grew up with no depth sounders or anything so my style is probably adapted to really primitive conditions that most people just wouldn't screw around with.

But anyway now I'm interested in a 6-7' jigging rod and a conventional. Maybe I'll have a look at those charkbait avets!

Back reeling would be nice for lowering to specific depths, ie. chasing fish using a good sounder. Once you've figured how many feet each crank is. Salmon are not always on the bottom.

See that's exactly how I use mine - I'm not used to needing depth sounders to watch where my lure is going; I like to be able to say "let's get down 60 feet" and I usually know my reels well enough that I know I want to be down say 18 turns. And I can usually hand someone a rod and say "back this down 22 turns, you should be right on top of it". I just find it super useful.

I mean sure, I could freespool out and touch bottom and then come up, it's not that I absolutely can't do anything without that backreeling ability...it's just very handy to me.

But seeing the current baitrunners have kept it alive for the time being is at least making me think I have one option for a do-it-all spinner.

Back