Octuna in San Diego

Old Blue

I just got back from San Diego after jumping on 3 boats back to back to back on 2.5 days with the Pacific Queen, 3 days on the Condor and then 2.5 day on Top Gun 80 where a few member from the forum joined me in getting the decks pretty bloody.

Nothing over mid 40's for me but the quantity of high teens to mid 30's was exceptional compared to last year for me. Hopefully Fish Assassin and Wagner chime in with their flat fall fish.

Live bait action with sardines and 25-30lb fluoro on a number 2 hook got the job done mostly

Here's a few photos. Can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

• Condor tuna.JPG
    Condor tuna.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6075.jpg
    IMG_6075.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_6081.jpg
    IMG_6081.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_6118.jpg
    IMG_6118.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 297
Did you bring back your catch to Canada? Just wondering the logistics of that and if it’s just as simple as checking a coleman cooler full of filets?

The processors down there do an excellent job. I've used 5 Star Processing and it was $1.15USD/lb for 5 mil bags, 10 cents less for 3 mil. They meet you at the dock and pick up your fish and filleted within a few hours max then flash frozen ready for pickup on your way to the airport but it's best to give them a day or more so it's rock hard.

Last year I picked up a few 48 can AO soft cooler bags that are wicked, this year I picked up an extra hard cooler down there too.

I was pulled into secondary on my connecting flight through Calgary but only because I had 4 bags of fish and my rod case but still within my limit. Last year with 2 bags of fish I wasn't stopped.

Sashimi or seared better than anything here year round, I've also played around with cold smoke and hot smoke.

I think I recognize this boat. I went out on it more than 10 years ago and we also got into the yellowfins with same technique. Super fun!

whats the limit for tuna ?? you can have
It gets a bit confusing as you generally fish US and Mexican waters but you're safe with the following for US waters.
5 Yellowfin tuna/day up to 3 day limits
2 Bluefin tuna/day up to 3 day limits
Skipjack no limit
5 Yellow Tail/day up to 3 day limit

Mexico is 10 fish/day but the regs get weird with YT and Dorado as 2 count as 5 fish.

FYI the processing is priced at whole fish; expect 50% yield. If you pay to check it, I paid $100 US on Alaska for up to 50#. That puts you at $4.30/lb US for fish that is of low quality - Small size = low oil content & then it' frozen as well. Combat fishing; you will need to go over/under 3-5 anglers for every fish.

If this sounds like it's for you, you can fly from Paine Field in Everett WA to SD direct on Alaska; flight times allow you to do this w/o staying overnight. Some of the SD boats fish outta Puerto Vallarta in the fall winter going out 100 miles from shore for 200# plus YFT's on 3.5 day trips.

FYI the processing is priced at whole fish; expect 50% yield. If you pay to check it, I paid $100 US on Alaska for up to 50#. That puts you at $4.30/lb US for fish that is of low quality - Small size = low oil content & then it' frozen as well. Combat fishing; you will need to go over/under 3-5 anglers for every fish.

If this sounds like it's for you, you can fly from Paine Field in Everett WA to SD direct on Alaska; flight times allow you to do this w/o staying overnight. Some of the SD boats fish outta Puerto Vallarta in the fall winter going out 100 miles from shore for 200# plus YFT's on 3.5 day trips.

Wrong as usual ericl.

Yield is 30-40%, and I beg to differ on quality. Proper sushi grade is brain spiked, bled then put in RSW until processors meet you at the dock which is then promptly filleted and vac packed and flash frozen. This is not the case in Vallarta and Cabo.

Sorry if you can't handle fishing with other people, maybe you can't handle communicating with other anglers and following directions from deck hands. Maybe you're "that guy" on the boat.

Proper sushi grade
Only people who don't know WTF they are talking about use the term sushi grade.

You could use google to educate yourself on grading tuna before you shoot-off your yap.
Just cuz you like it doesn't mean anybody else has to.

Nice pictures; too bad they can't be tasted to verify your BS

Only people who don't know WTF they are talking about use the term sushi grade.

You could use google to educate yourself on grading tuna before you shoot-off your yap.
Just cuz you like it doesn't mean anybody else has to.

Nice pictures; too bad they can't be tasted to verify your BS
OUCH !!!!!!!!!

ericl, from reading your many posts on this forum you seem to be a wealth of useful information. Which is always appreciated here. If I could offer a friendly piece of advice. Belittling fellow posters with your presumed superior knowledge is never appreciated. Just like the quality of Tuna, no one likes to eat crap.;) eman

Thanks for the report. Always great to have other fisheries to consider particularly as Trudeau and his close everything gang is back. This looks like fun fishing.

Wrong as usual ericl.

ericl, from reading your many posts on this forum you seem to be a wealth of useful information. Which is always appreciated here. If I could offer a friendly piece of advice. Belittling fellow posters with your presumed superior knowledge is never appreciated. Just like the quality of Tuna, no one likes to eat crap.;) eman

What comes around goes around. Jump on me, i jump on you.
My first post was intended as truthful IMO not intended to offend.

Back